Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Upgrade Scam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2003, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

First Class Upgrade Scam

Just a little irritated with the Special Member Services. I called to schedule a reservation for a trip to Phoenix.

The first class fare was priced at $1,349.50 online. I asked what it would cost to buy an M class ticket and upgrade it to First Class. She stated it would be $1,487.50 plus 20,000 miles to upgrade. HUH????

Outright FIRST CLASS - $1,349.50
Upgrade M+ 20,000 - $1,487.50

What is wrong with this picture?

I was willing to pay 600-800 for the ticket... But I'll be ****ed if I'll pay $132.00 more than First Class.

I could play upgrade roulette, but I haven't had much luck with my newly acquired Silver Medalion status. I don't mind paying....but I do mind paying through the nose.. Ya know?

I am traveling with a companion. Should I just buy the 287.00 Coach ticket and try the upgrade thing within 24 hours of departure??

Can I upgrade my companion's ticket with mine at the 24 hour window? Would it be worth buying a K fare? Better chance at upgrade?

How busy is the ATL-PHX route... chance of upgrade??

[This message has been edited by Ms Melissa (edited 08-10-2003).]
Old Aug 10, 2003, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

That first class ticket may have been an A fare, which sometimes are less expensive than the higher-fare coach tickets, such as Y, B or M.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ms Melissa:
[B]Should I just buy the 287.00 Coach ticket and try the upgrage thing within 24 hours of departure??
B]</font>
Yes.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ms Melissa:

But I'll be ****ed if I'll pay $132.00 more than First Class.

[This message has been edited by Ms Melissa (edited 08-10-2003).]
</font>
Old Aug 10, 2003, 7:30 pm

As a newbie I have been trying to find the means to upgrade a jfk-ath coach ticket and I have been running into the same problem. The price difference to an upgradable ticket is almost double of the original ticket. Much of the advice on the forum will be useful after I get status.

Every call seems to give a different price to upgrade or seat availability. This pricing voodoo must be according to SOME kind of formula.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Consider UA or AA which allow domestic upgrades confirmed with miles at time of booking off of any fare.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 9:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterX:
As a newbie I have been trying to find the means to upgrade a jfk-ath coach ticket and I have been running into the same problem. ..... </font>
As the say -- fuggetaboutit. I gave up on a Labor Day weekend trip to ATH last month. I spent about an hour at the local CTO. IN the end booked one to BCN.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 9:29 pm

I have to go no matter, so coach it is. (can you say sardines?)

There has to be a method to their pricing. The deep discounts must be for infrequent travelers. However I have news for delta, those low fares have not escaped the attention of business travelers at least the companies that pay the freight.

[This message has been edited by MisterX (edited 08-10-2003).]
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:45 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
Melissa, I fly the ATL/PHX segment often and FC is always full, especially if you are on a FRI or a SUN. You can try the MSU at 24 hours, but being Silver, I doubt it. Compnaions are not upgradeable until 010104. I would buy the cheapy and get an exit row seat; not FC, but it's very comfy.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think ATL-PHX and CVG-PHX is now all MD-88. 10C on that plane might be the best Y seat Delta has.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:50 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Delta offers a confirmed seat in First Class (probably an A fare) that is less than the regular rip-off upgradeable coach fares, and it's a scam?

This forum seems to be falling apart. *****, whine, cry, moan, that's all you people do!

------------------
"Where's my money?" -- Pizza the Hutt
Old Aug 11, 2003, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Delta offers a confirmed seat in First Class (probably an A fare) that is less than the regular rip-off upgradeable coach fares, and it's a scam?

This forum seems to be falling apart. *****, whine, cry, moan, that's all you people do!

</font>
JS, my point was that it seemed absurd to charge $1487.50 for an M class with 20,000 Skymile First Class upgrade, when a First Class ticket could be purchased for $1,349.50, outright.

If that's *****ing and whining, then I'm guilty. I simply don't understand the pricing structure for Delta's tickets.

I have purchased M Class tickets and upgraded them to First Class with the Skymiles. Usually it's in the 700-800 range, and I'm OK with that. No whining here... worth it to me.

But the Skymile upgrade now seems virtually worthless.

I even attempted to buy the $1,349.50 First Class Ticket and purchase a First Class ticket for my companion with the 40,000 Skymiles. The agent said that I couldn't do that. I would have to buy a $2,037 First Class ticket + 40,000 Skymiles.

Anyway, long story to short, I purchased two L fare tickets for $278.50 each. Three hour flight.... I'll live and pocket the extra $2,000. Delta is the real loser, because revenue-wise I would have spent more money for the upgrade had the pricing been more reasonable.

[This message has been edited by Ms Melissa (edited 08-11-2003).]
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:25 am

Anyway, long story to short, I purchased two L fare tickets for $278.50 each. Three hour flight.... I'll live and pocket the extra $2,000. </font>
Excellent choice! With the extra $$$ you will save you can have a lavish dinner at a wonderful restaurant and go to a nice spa to de-sardinize yourself from the DL coach flight!

Delta can go shove it... I am sure they will be happier to upgrade an Elite flyer flying on a $198 cross-country T-fare rather than sell a FC seat for $1000+!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.