FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Please Post LUT Upgrade Success Rate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/59156-please-post-lut-upgrade-success-rate.html)

EchoVictor May 11, 2003 7:37 pm

Please Post LUT Upgrade Success Rate

Well, after my first two segments since May 1, I'd like to report a 100% success rate (2/2) on upgrading two T fares (ATL-LGA and LGA-ATL).

Both flights were close calls; on the flight to LGA there were 3 open seats and I cleared into the last one. On the LGA-ATL flight, due to irregular ops I was put on an earlier flight than my scheduled one (which was delayed). By the time I was added to the standby list at the last moment, there was only 1 open F seat, which I was able to snag being #1 on the standby list.

Unfortunately, on both segments I gave away my F seat to sit with my friends (who are non-medallions). Oh well....... !

The challenge was securing the upgrade, who cares about more drinks anyway? I settled for the exit row with my friend. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif When a gentleman came back to my old 34F seat on the 767 today (best coach on the plane IMHO), I asked the man if he minded trading. His...."NO, I'd really like this seat" changed pretty quickly when I offered him 6E. LOL

[This message has been edited by EchoVictor (edited 05-11-2003).]

peteropny May 11, 2003 8:05 pm

We're also 2/2 (on our trip DAY-ATL-DAY), when I met you for lunch. They were also fairly close calls, cleared at the gate.

Erasmus May 11, 2003 8:09 pm

150%. I've been upgraded on all 6 booked segments and flown 4 since May 1. I was really surprised when I used the same-day confirmed option to change my outbound flight three hours before and *still* cleared the upgrade list---at the airport, granted. Of course, I went out of my way to make sure I was booked on 757 equipment, which has by far and away the highest F/Y ratio in the fleet. In fact, on the final segment (SLC-SAN) there were even 10 empty seats in F.

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't note I also cleared on 100% of my UA flights this week (one of which was also changed ~3 hours before departure) as well, and I don't even have status on UA this year...

Flying_Duck May 11, 2003 8:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EchoVictor:
who cares about more drinks anyway? </font>
I do! (Especially being from Utah http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif)

lavasushi May 11, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm glad that at least PMs can clear LUT upgrades. Have any GMs or FOs been successful?

sowalsky May 11, 2003 8:53 pm

I was able to upgrade AUS-CVG and CVG-PVD a "T" fare, and someone I was travelling with who is FO upgraded as well, 12 hours in advance, online.

Points Scrounger May 11, 2003 9:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lavasushi:
I'm glad that at least PMs can clear LUT upgrades. Have any GMs or FOs been successful?</font>

LGA - ATL at the gate exactly 30 mins before departure (just as the FC boarding was ending) and ATL - SEA 12 hours in advance with SMS by phone.

ATLpax May 11, 2003 9:39 pm

I'm a GM in ATL. I've flown two trips since May 1, with all segments upgraded (L).

warmsnickers May 11, 2003 10:20 pm

I'm GM and I successfully waitlisted for SLC-CVG and ATL-SLC last week. I could have confirmed CLE-ATL at the 12-hour mark but didn't bother.

rfletche May 12, 2003 7:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lavasushi:
I'm glad that at least PMs can clear LUT upgrades. Have any GMs or FOs been successful?</font>
I am 100% (2/2) as an FO, and both times with my wife (also FO). We were able to upgrade at our 12-hour mark through SMS. I was pleasantly surprised.

akhullar May 12, 2003 11:36 am

How about international ? Latin & Central America ?

jeffreyt May 12, 2003 12:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by akhullar:
How about international ? Latin & Central America ?</font>
AFAIK, they haven't changed the rules to allow you to upgrade on LUT fares to Latin America.

FL-Delta-Platinum May 12, 2003 12:05 pm

This may be a good way to hit DL's bottom line...

PM's still have unlimited upgrades this year, while the GM & FO's do not. They may be selectively upgrading now? Some may even be running out of segment upgrades already. PM's may be able to by money-losing fares for DL and still clear upgrades at about the same level...!!

I haven't tried an LUT upgrade, but mostly because I've wanted to confirm at booking and not wanted to risk it. If the percentage really is that high, maybe I will give it a try...

biometrist May 12, 2003 2:52 pm

My first opportunity under the 'new' rules was on flights 156/99 between SEA-JFK and back.

Both directions were U fare, upgraded on web 24 hours out. I'm guessing everyone who wanted one got an upgrade on those flights. The outbound filled with nonrevs at the last minute (lots of them ... obvious because of their discussion of Song vs. mainline) and the return had at least 10 empty BE seats.

Points Scrounger May 12, 2003 3:28 pm

My ATL - SEA flight on 5/1 was available for paid upgrade right up until boarding. NRSA's cleared. When I called in 12 hours before departure, SMS indicated plenty of availability.