FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   BDL CRC to close (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/58812-bdl-crc-close.html)

warmsnickers Mar 7, 2003 10:16 am

BDL CRC to close

According to an email I received from Delta this morning, the DL experience at Bradley is being enhanced:

"Delta will move its entire operation to the new terminal in Spring 2003. Due to the expansion and Delta's relocation, the Crown Room ClubŪ located in terminal B will close in Spring 2003. At this time there are no plans to offer another Crown Room Club at Bradley."

DL Platinum Mar 7, 2003 10:57 am

Sad that DL puts such a positive spin in the initial paragraph and then drops the bomb. The full text of the message:

"We are excited to tell you that Bradley International Airport located in Windsor Locks, CT is on its way to becoming the best airport in the Northeast. Bradley Project 2002 is a comprehensive plan that will provide several airport improvements including a new terminal that will serve passengers with more gates, more retail space and easier access to airport services.

Delta will move its entire operation to the new terminal in Spring 2003. Due to the expansion and Delta's relocation, the Crown Room ClubŪ located in terminal B will close in Spring 2003. At this time there are no plans to offer another Crown Room Club at Bradley.

While the economic downturn influenced our decision, we want to assure you that providing our customers with excellent service, a differentiated travel experience and a hassle-free airport experience remain our top priorities. You will continue to have access to Delta's more than 40 Crown Room Clubs domestically and internationally. The Crown Room Clubs offer a comfortable refuge where your personal and business needs can be met with the service and amenities important to you. We look forward to continually serving you.

Your Delta Crown Room Club Administration "

chfenton Mar 7, 2003 12:03 pm

Do they really think we want that stupid positive spin and can't recognize that they are basically just telling us that when they move they are closing the crown room because they are in big financial trouble. I Hate DL (former PM now GM next year FO).

zrs70 Mar 7, 2003 12:52 pm

BDL's CRC has been somewhat of an anomoly (sp?). In the past five to ten years, DL has closed shop on so mnay of its non-hub/ focus city CRC's. (Remember SDF, LAS, STL, MEM, DTW, PIT, ....). DL once had a CRC, staffed or unstaffed, in the majority of larger airports.

BDL is truly the last smaller operation in which DL maintained its club. How sad that it is going.

US still has its club at BDL, doesn't it?

LexPassenger Mar 7, 2003 12:57 pm

Real shame... that was a nice CR, even if before security. The staff was very positive last fall that they would be moved, and have a new CRC, said they'd even seen the plans... real, real shame.

FOH Mar 7, 2003 6:47 pm

Yes, US still has a club at BDL. On a related note, the new concourse will be really nice when it's done. UA is using two gates (of 12) in what's currently known as the E concourse. But for the moment it's a long walk down there.

alan32 Mar 7, 2003 7:31 pm

I liked that CRC. Actually did not use it much before 9/11 since back then you could get to the ticket counter 20 min before your flight and have plenty of time. But after 9/11 I've used it almost everytime, since I now get there earlier. As LexPassenger said, the staff was always nice and helpful. My next flight isn't until beginning of April - hopefully they're still there (one last goodbye).

Factotum Mar 7, 2003 9:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
In the past five to ten years, DL has closed shop on so mnay of its non-hub/ focus city CRC's. (Remember SDF, LAS, STL, MEM, DTW, PIT, ....).</font>
These days a non-focus city for DL is any place that's not ATL.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
DL once had a CRC, staffed or unstaffed, in the majority of larger airports.</font>
I have never seen one of these unstaffed CRCs. How could they be anything more than a glorified waiting room? Who would keep non-members out? Who would dispense the drinks?

There are still some outlying CRCs left in the system: JAX, MCI, BNA, PHX, SJU... Might these be next?

zrs70 Mar 8, 2003 5:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Factotum:
I have never seen one of these unstaffed CRCs. How could they be anything more than a glorified waiting room? Who would keep non-members out? Who would dispense the drinks?

</font>
I believe they were called "courtesy clubs." You would get the combination code from a gate agent. The rooms were stocked with drinks and snack mix. Very pleasent places to wait. I really liked the STL location.

FlyBDL Jun 12, 2003 11:16 pm

Are plans still to keep the BDL club closed? I believe Delta has still not moved into the new concourse (Anyone confirm that). WN, NW, and CO have already moved operations over.

Although BDL is a small airport, I believt his is a big mistake that DL is not putting a club into the new concourse, especially since NW, and CO will be right with them, ocupying 8 out of 12 gates. BDL is a lrage business destination, over 60% of the airport, and DL is the largest carrier at BDL. It just doesnt make much sence to me!

Eric

RobertS975 Jun 13, 2003 3:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyBDL:
Are plans still to keep the BDL club closed? I believe Delta has still not moved into the new concourse (Anyone confirm that). WN, NW, and CO have already moved operations over.

Although BDL is a small airport, I believt his is a big mistake that DL is not putting a club into the new concourse, especially since NW, and CO will be right with them, ocupying 8 out of 12 gates. BDL is a lrage business destination, over 60% of the airport, and DL is the largest carrier at BDL. It just doesnt make much sence to me!

Eric
</font>
DL is the largest BDL operator? Larger than WN?

FlyBDL Jun 13, 2003 11:05 am

Delta is by far the largest operator at BDL.

Delta in 2002 had 1.8 million passenegrs at BDL, Southwest was arpund 900K.

Second is AA at 1.2 and US around 1.1.

indufan Jun 13, 2003 12:03 pm

Any chance of "combo" clubs at non-hub cites serviced by DL, NW and CO?

BizJet Jun 13, 2003 4:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:
Any chance of "combo" clubs at non-hub cites serviced by DL, NW and CO?</font>
Currently Continental and Northwest jointly operate a combo-club at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Of course, both airlines happened to operate out of the same concourse. I believe both CO and NW employees staff the club with their own agents, each capable of handling check-in and reservations for their own company.

Certainly such a partnership increases the value of the product for all the airlines involved at a fraction of the cost of operating the club. But whether the return on investment is worth it is the question. Moreover, there could be some difficulties in such an intimate financial partnership, which in and of itself carries additional difficulties over a simple frequent flyer alliance and codeshare agreement (i.e., split the rent evenly or based on passengers travelled through the airport or total club members or club members visiting specific location, etc.)

gt0138d Jun 13, 2003 9:10 pm

BDL is truly the last smaller operation in which DL maintained its club. How sad that it is going.

</font>
Interesting you should say that. I was talking to another PM during check-in who was critical about DL's decision to close this CRC - a huge perk for him. He was unhappy that DL chose to keep HNL open while close BDL - if size of operation is the criterion for deciding.