DL/CO/NW starts June18 !!

Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

DL/CO/NW starts June18 !!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030612/atth015_1.html
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:21 pm

The article reads:

...These customer benefits are the first actions of the alliance bringing consumers lower fares, increased service levels and broader choices of destinations. ...

Why do I think that the airlines are not in this to bring 'consumers lower fare'?
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Does this mean that when flying Delta on an L/U/T fare, I can earn 100% mileage in NW's ff program, since at NW all fares(almost) qualify for full mileage? That would be nice.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:27 pm

no...when flying delta's L/U/T fares, you only earn 50% of mileage in NW's FF program.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:42 pm

Location: Orlando, FL, CO Gold,AA Gold (This Year), KLM Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
It would then stand to reason that if you fly NW or CO lowest fare, DL FF would only get 50% as well? Otherwise you could fly CO or NW and get 100% MQM instead of 50%... why would you fly DL if you are a SM member? Makes no sense..
Old Jun 12, 2003, 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by First in Class:
The article reads:

...These customer benefits are the first actions of the alliance bringing consumers lower fares, increased service levels and broader choices of destinations. ...

Why do I think that the airlines are not in this to bring 'consumers lower fare'?
</font>
I agree that the airlines aren't doing this to give us lowfares. However, you can certainly play them against each other to get lower fares. For example, I'm booking DCA-PNS for July. DL wants $300...NW wants $175. Which should I choose? Before the alliance, I'd probably take DL or I'd drive out to BWI where DL is charging $165 (matching Airtran of course). However, now I can get the convenience of DCA (much closer to where I work and live) and a lower price by flying NW, but still get DL miles.

Now I know some will chime in and say that once the carriers ally, they will begin colluding on price. However, I don't expect that to happen. First, the DOJ will be keeping a close eye on this alliance. But evidence from both the NW/CO alliance and the U/UA alliance don't show a lot of collusion.

Example, I recently needed to fly DCA-ORD for a time sensitive trip...meaning I wanted a nonstop flight. I priced UA, AA and US (which codeshares on the UA n/s flights). AA's price was $290, UA was $290 and US was $198. I chose the US flights even though they are actually on UA metal.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 3:00 pm

We will have to wait and see how it works out.

According to NWA.com, if you are flying DL and earning mileage on NW, you follow DL rules for mileage accrual. In other words for 500 mile DL flight in L/U/T class you earn 500 NW miles for REDEMPTION but only 250 NW STATUS miles. Vice versa, if you are flying NW and earning mileage on DL and if NW gives 100% STATUS miles my guess is that you WILL get 100% DL STATUS miles as well.

In summary, my read is that you follow the FF program rules of the Airline you are flying and it does not matter which FF program you are accruing the miles in.

[This message has been edited by DLBOSFO (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

the 50% mileage accrual is for elite status. You will earn 500 or actual whichever is greater.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DLBOSFO:
We will have to wait and see how it works out.

According to NWA.com, if you are flying DL and earning mileage on NW, you follow DL rules for mileage accrual. In other words for 500 mile DL flight in L/U/T class you earn 500 NW miles for REDEMPTION but only 250 NW STATUS miles. Vice versa, if you are flying NW and earning mileage on DL and if NW gives 100% STATUS miles my guess is that you WILL get 100% DL STATUS miles as well.

In summary, my read is that you follow the FF program rules of the Airline you are flying and it does not matter which FF program you are accruing the miles in.

[This message has been edited by DLBOSFO (edited 06-12-2003).]
</font>
That is the way I read it to. Also, you can't fly on DL and have the segments count toward earning status on NW.

In reviewing the NW elite qualification requirements, they sure are alot more generous than DL!
Old Jun 12, 2003, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Just looked at CO site - apparently segments on DL count toward earning elite status. Too bad they didn't start this at the beginning of the year - I would have been able to make status on CO. Oh well.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 4:20 pm
cervisiam

these links may help:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/getmil...faqs/index.jsp

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/....jsp#Northwest

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...sp#continental

Old Jun 12, 2003, 7:55 pm
GG

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">ConnFlyer wrote:

Now I know some will chime in and say that once the carriers ally, they will begin colluding on price. However, I don't expect that to happen. First, the DOJ will be keeping a close eye on this alliance. But evidence from both the NW/CO alliance and the U/UA alliance don't show a lot of collusion. </font>
I think you're probably right. At least, the NW/CO fares often seem to be very different. In fact, there's an arcane sub-speciality of NW/CO folks on FT who hunt out bargain fares based on flying as an elite on "the other airline". (I tend to leave the ticket booking to Lex, so have no details.)

A whole lot more NW flyers seem to be worried about their FF program being taken over by the Dark Side of the Farce, for obvious reasons. I guess I'm cautiously optimistic on that score - I may as well be for all the difference it'll make.

The good thing from our viewpoint is not having to shell out money for a WorldClub membership until the end of next February. We'll miss the SAN CRC then, though!

edited for fumble fingers and to add:

Now we may be able put those Delta Dollars to good use...

------------------
email on profile

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:03 pm

According to UPI (just read on my Earthlionk home page) flights originating or departing hub cities do not qualify.

What exactly this means we will have to see.
Do this mean that if you fly Dl from ATL to Minneapolis you get DL miles but when connecting to NW at Minneapolis to say a small city in WI you don't get DL miles.???

Do you get them on the return segments since the flight on NW is hardly departing a hub city?

Where or what are the hub cities.

Any one else read this?

Old Jun 12, 2003, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
From the DL Website:

* When can I begin earning miles with Continental and Northwest?

On June 18, 2003, SkyMiles members may begin earning miles on all Continental-operated (and Continental- or Delta-coded) flights including ExpressJet and Continental Micronesia, as well as on Northwest-operated (and Northwest- or Delta-coded) flights including Pinnacle Airlines and Mesaba Aviation.

It says ALL flights...so I would think that means all CO and NW

[This message has been edited by Renard (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Seems to me, I remember DOJ's conditional approval said no code shares between common hubs (ATL-MSP) but I don't remember it addressing FF agreements. I have to digest more of the stuff before making any other opinions on the matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.