Kiss printed schedules bye-bye :(

Old Mar 14, 03, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Kiss printed schedules bye-bye :(

We all knew it was coming...

According to airliners.net, Delta's scheduling will be all electronic come April.

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Mar 14, 03, 3:56 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); soon formerly LEXington, KY; otherwise around and about
Programs: DL still sort-of Elite; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Ah, it was to be expected, but still a loss.

Not having a printed schedule to curl up with and analyze is part of the trauma of switching to that other airline.

I guess Delta is being kind and making me see that switching's not so bad.

Maybe my collection suddenly just became more valuable since they won't be making any more?

[edited for pesky typo]

[This message has been edited by LexPassenger (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 03, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Not sure about other majors, but I do know UA has not had a paper timetable for quite a while now .. about a year is my guess.

There were until about 2000, those huge 800 page thick deals, then they went to a trimmed down 100 page one, and then cut them out entirely.

I still have some now well thumbed versions of both here, as a lot of stuff is quicker to look up in there than mess around website for. Not flights of course, but all the other info those books hold. KEEP a copy or 2 of what version is about now is my little tip.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Mar 14, 03, 4:01 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
That's a real shame.

UA stopped printing after 9/11.
Old Mar 14, 03, 6:31 pm

This is bad news for those of us who sometimes travel without laptops or PDA's. Many times the printed schedule has helped me devise alternate routings when arriving late.
Old Mar 14, 03, 6:32 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
OAG must love this!
Old Mar 14, 03, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Maybe if we all write, phone and email them to tell them how much we value the printed schedules... nah!
Old Mar 14, 03, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

...and the company that printed them was once one of my customers.
Old Mar 14, 03, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
OAG must love this!</font>
Yes, OAG is a good alternative (and updated monthly), but I don't know if I want to pay the prices they ask.
Old Mar 15, 03, 12:31 am

Pay for an OAG subscription just so I can find out what days of the week the international flights from JFK are running at the moment? No thanks. (Will there still be a PDF schedule?)
Old Mar 15, 03, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
Recently, I've been using the schedules that I download to my Palm and I quite like it. I like not having trash whenever the new schedules come out, and can just download the new one.
Old Mar 15, 03, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Because of feedback from our best customers, we are discontinuing our printed schedule in an effort to reduce weight on our aircraft. This will result in millions of dollars in savings and the result will be that there will be no gas surcharge passed on to our flyers.

Love,

Uncle Leo
Old Mar 15, 03, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I have always enjoyed perusing the printed schedules and if this report is true, I will miss having them around. They tend to be all over my house and office, bedside endtables and EVEN the back shelf of the toilet.

They are obsolete before they're even put out, but they make for a good basis on which to plan in any event. Why doesn't DL sell ads in the timetable to defray the costs of printing, perhaps even make $$?

Will SKY magazine be the next to go? Or is that a profit center?
Old Mar 15, 03, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
EVEN the back shelf of the toilet.

</font>
Robert,

Either get a life or please tell us that you are using the schedule to save money on Toilet Paper
Old Mar 15, 03, 11:15 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); soon formerly LEXington, KY; otherwise around and about
Programs: DL still sort-of Elite; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Mikey -- Robert is cool.

I have thousands of old airline schedules, mostly boxed in the basement.

Really comes in handy when somebody starts spouting off about what aircraft served Hong Kong in 1992....

Search this Thread