Kiss printed schedules bye-bye :(

Old May 4, 03, 3:33 pm

Am I wrong, or is Delta about the only major carrier that does not offer downloadable electronic format based timetables?

Here are almost everyone elses:

http://www.goldenware.com/productsDownload.html

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.
Old May 4, 03, 3:38 pm

Delta DOES provide electronic downloadable timetables!!! The issue is with paper copies for those of us who choose not to travel with a pda.

marc
Old May 4, 03, 3:40 pm

I'm wrong, but I had to dig for it:

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_serv/mobile/index.jsp

Sorry.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
Old May 4, 03, 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Delta DOES provide electronic downloadable timetables!!! The issue is with paper copies for those of us who choose not to travel with a pda.

marc
</font>
I take it this option is too limited:

https://www.delta.com/schedules/trav...ched/index.jsp

You can select PDF format for the output. You can then print out the document.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com

[This message has been edited by businesstraveler (edited 05-04-2003).]
Old May 4, 03, 5:00 pm

And you can fit 45 (IIRC) pages rolled up in your coat pocket?

marc

Old Jan 28, 05, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

No More Printed Timetables — Again!

I have noticed that there have been no printed timetables on all of the Delta Air Lines flights on which I have been recently.

When I saw a stack of printed timetables on one (and only one) flight that I was about to deplane, I mistakenly thought that they were new when indeed they were the October 2004 timetables.

The flight attendant alerted me that I could take the timetables but that they would probably be of no use for me as Delta Air Lines once again stopped printing timetables to save money.

In other words, don’t look for a January 2005 (or any other new) printed timetable anytime soon — if ever again.

Of course, one may access www.delta.com for the latest Delta Air Lines timetables...
Old Jan 28, 05, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Did someone say that there will be no more printed timetables? Maybe Delta is just waiting for the new flight changes to become effective on Monday, January 31?
Old Jan 28, 05, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
If DL does do away with the schedules, it's a shame. The timetables have thinned out a lot over the years and I know it costs some money to print but can't believe it would save them that much money.

Let's hope they do put a new one out right after the schedule is gutted for Feb. 1.
Old Jan 28, 05, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Don't you think they put them on temporary hiatus pending the overhaul of the schedule?
Old Jan 28, 05, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Don't you think they put them on temporary hiatus pending the overhaul of the schedule?
That was what I thought, but I am merely relaying the information given to me by a flight attendant who specifically stated that in order for Delta Air Lines to save money, the timetables once again are not being printed.

I hope that flight attendant was wrong...
Old Jan 28, 05, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
That was what I thought, but I am merely relaying the information given to me by a flight attendant who specifically stated that in order for Delta Air Lines to save money, the timetables once again are not being printed.

I hope that flight attendant was wrong...
The flight attendant was apparently correct.

Here is the following information which I have received:
December 10, 2004

Delta has suspended production of the traditional paper version of its timetables. The last edition was published in October. The cost-saving alternative is Delta’s downloadable flight schedule available at www.delta.com/schedules. Customers can print the schedules from a PDF file or download them to their handheld or personal computers. The schedules are updated at least once a month. They include flight numbers, arrival and departure times, aircraft type, operating carrier and flight duration.
This memorandum was apparently released internally to Delta Air Lines employees back on December 10, 2004. This is the second suspension of printing the timetables, but this time the suspension is indeed permanent as publishing the printed timetables cost Delta Air Lines greater than US$1,000,000.00 per year, which will apparently be spent elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I do not believe other airlines print timetables anymore. It appears as though the days of the official printed timetable by an airline have now sadly been officially terminated...
Old Jan 28, 05, 5:27 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Gosh that's so nice that the schedule is available on delta.com. I will be sure to make good use of that the next time I need to refer to the schedule at the airport while trying to figure out the best way to re-route around a schedule irregularity.

I will simply look up at the ceiling, yell "Open Sesame, http colon double slash www dot delta dot com", and the delta.com home page will appear right in front of me.

Seriously, what is $1 million when you have, what is it, 500 million passengers a year? That's 1/5 of a penny per passenger!

This is more idiotic than AA's legendary cutting of one olive from a salad. One olive I can do without. A schedule is central to a business that is in the business of transportation.
Old Jan 28, 05, 10:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I understand what DL is getting at with this one. While it's helpful for us pax, it doesn't get DL much, if any, incremental revenue.

A few alternatives would be---
(a) Printing fewer copies and mailing them to medallion pax only, and only to those medallions who request them. Don't leave hundreds sitting around in airports and on airplanes. I know postage would start to be a lot (remember mailed FF statements?) - so perhaps there's a small fee for this service - say $5 a year - I'd pay it.

If DL doesn't want to deal with this, perhaps they'd give me latitude on their copyright and let me set up a side business to print, bind and mail these. I'm sure thousands would purchase them. Hmmm.. how does the copyright work on a PDF file that they make freely available? If I could find a buyer, I think that I could sell my last copy of the printed schedule for whatever price I could get and not owe DL any royalty. Hmm....

(b) Advertising. Seems you could put some decent paid ads on both the cover and the back, and perhaps on each page - to cover a lot of the costs. I'm sure the same folks who advertise on ticket envelopes would pay to be on printed schedules. (Think of all the time people would spend looking at their ads while sitting in the lav!) Hertz and Avis already pay a fee to have DL prompt callers to see if they'd like a rental car after they book their flight.... the rental guys are heavy, heavy advertisers.
Old Jan 29, 05, 8:19 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 07 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 29, 05, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Printing fewer copies and mailing them to medallion pax only, and only to those medallions who request them. Don't leave hundreds sitting around in airports and on airplanes. I know postage would start to be a lot (remember mailed FF statements?) - so perhaps there's a small fee for this service - say $5 a year - I'd pay it.
Usually, when it comes to printing services, the bulk of the cost is in setting up the press, cleaning the press, and the time and labor of the press operator to operate the press. Press time is by far the most valuable commodity in the printing industry.

Believe me, I know — a customer of mine used to print the timetables for Delta Air Lines.

The cost savings of printing fewer copies is minimal at best and usually does not save much money.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: