Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Positive Comments on Same-Day Confirmed Flight Change Benefit, Others?

Old Mar 27, 03, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold

I've taken advantage of this new "feature" a few times now, and have found it to be very nice. I just call up DL a few hours before the flight I want, and they've always been able to accomodate me (of course, my fare class doesn't change ) I do have to say that I really like this feature alot, especially since I usually fly on very low-fare, restricted tickets. I'd be interested to hear other peoples comments on this.
Old Mar 27, 03, 4:49 pm

Ditto.
Old Mar 27, 03, 6:31 pm

Programs: 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Yes, this is nice unless you live a hour from the airport and have to get up at 5:00am to see if you "MIGHT" be able to get on an 8:00am flight.

Old Mar 27, 03, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
The previous plan required you actually travel to the airport to find out if you "might" be able to make it.
Old Mar 28, 03, 5:43 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
I have changed flights twice under the new plan. Both times I have been able to get upgraded as well. Once I was even able to change flights more than three hours in advance because of the war. Great system if your meetings end early and you want to get home quicker.
Old Mar 28, 03, 6:37 pm

I've also taken advantage of it twice.

I'm still asking agents in ATL how they handle flights where a number of misconnects cause seats to come available at the last minute. Although nothing is in writing, I've had three agents tell me they will allow PM and GM to "standby" for these seats. All agree that although this new policy has decreased workload and also number of no shows, it still has kinks to be worked out.

marc
Old Mar 28, 03, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond, Virgin-Gold, BA-Silver
Worked well for me on Tuesday. Was able to get home 5 hours early. I was even connecting through ATL back home to MCO. I have NEVER been successful in standing by on the ATL-MCO route before.

Jon
Old Mar 29, 03, 8:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I took advantage of it week before last on a EWR-ATL segment. No problems with the booking.

However, I had to forfeit my F upgrade that had been confirmed on my original flight. While they added me to the upgrade list, I noticed that my slot was way down on the list - I am a Platinum and this was a K fare, FWIW.

My question is this: Does rebooking (even though it is "confirmed") put you in a lower priority class for upgrades? In the old days when you had to standby for the changed flight as well as the upgrade, the upgrade was always at the bottom of the list behind the confirmed passengers even if your fare class was higher. Is this still the case?
Old Mar 29, 03, 9:22 am

It was good for me a few weeks ago when I had a 1 pm transcon return flight. Got up at 4:30 AM called and got confirmed for a 6:45. Got home 7 hours earlier than planned.
Old Mar 29, 03, 9:36 am

keeton:

No, it doesn't put you at a lower priority. Just that every GM and FO on a Y or B ticket is ahead of you. I was 17th out of 23 on list last week out of DC as a PM. Why would they have 23 on the list when there are only 14 seats on an MD-80 and two are for air marshalls. DL needs to do something about the number of MSUs in inventory. :-)

marc
Old Mar 29, 03, 3:44 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
My question is this: Does rebooking (even though it is "confirmed") put you in a lower priority class for upgrades? In the old days when you had to standby for the changed flight as well as the upgrade, the upgrade was always at the bottom of the list behind the confirmed passengers even if your fare class was higher. Is this still the case?
</font>
On ATL-SDF the wait-list was closed at time of confirmation of changed flight. When I arrived at ATL gate I asked to be put on the upgrade wait-list (with K fare). The agent said wow, looks like you'll make it. When my name came up on the FC upgrade list I was in first position. I did get upgraded on the flight. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old Mar 29, 03, 4:08 pm

May I take the freedom to remind you that Delta's actual reason for introducing the $25 'confirmed change' fee was NOT:
-reducing agent workload
-reducing the number of no-shows or
-making stand-by easier

The primary reason is to increase their revenue by $25 for every stand-by passenger.

In the very same way, NW introduced the $25 fee for bags 50-70lbs 'to protect the handlers from back injuries'. Now, NW will happily take your 70-pounder for $25 and sacrifice the backs of handlers, as long as you've paid the fee. According to my source the decrease in heavy bags has been minor, however there has been a major spike in revenue from excess baggage charges.

I refuse to pay Delta $25 for a service it CAN (and did) provide for free. No matter how 'enhanced' that service is under the new plan, it is still the same thing: you are hoping to get on a flight for which you did not originally have a seat.

It seems to me that you guys are getting confirmed for $25 for flights that would have accommodated stand-bys anyways (ie not packed-to-the-brink flights). Has ANYONE of you actually gotten on a flight for $25 which was completely packed and people were denied seats as stand-bys?
Old Mar 29, 03, 5:07 pm

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Sorry I have to disagree with you, but I believe the major reason for introducing same-day confirmed was not to increase their revenue, the major point was to reduce agent workload so that they could reduce staffing at most gates - thus reducing their costs.

To the best of my knowledge, gate staffing has been reduced in Atlanta by up to one entire agent per flight.
International is down to two agents from three in the past. Domestic is down to one agent from two in the past on smaller equipment.
Old Mar 29, 03, 5:36 pm

In my case the fee was waived.

I think the value is not risking a multi-hour wait at an airport hoping to standby.
Old Mar 29, 03, 7:20 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I'm also not pleased with the new policy, and not so naive to think it was introduced for the benefit of passengers. You used to be able to make any same day change at the airport (not just with in 2-3 hours) for $0. My experience as an elite on many different airlines, not just DL in particular, was that unless the desired new flight was over-sold, agents would often make the change confirmed instead of have you go through the standby process at the gate. I have never shown up at any airport for any airline and not been able to get out as desired, and I have changed many flights. So under the old way the changes could have been made for free at any time the same day, and under the new way you must pay $25 to confirm the change with in 2 hours, and presumably pay $100 if the change is outside the 2-3 hour window. I stopped flying DL a long time ago because of simply good business, and as a matter of practice I am going to fly whatever airline is going to waive these rediculous fees for me the most. Of course as you know the wiaver of the fees is unofficial and up to agent discretion, but I specifically left DL since they have a simply good business of no waivers and favors.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: