Can DL Not Respond to US Shuttle Offer?

Old Feb 23, 03, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Can DL Not Respond to US Shuttle Offer?

Received this via email from US Air. Can triple MQM miles on the shuttle be far away?
(Not that MQM miles mean anything anyway!)

US Airways(R) is welcoming Mileage Plus(R) members on US
Airways Shuttle flights with a special opportunity to earn
TRIPLE Mileage Plus miles and TRIPLE Dividend Miles. That's
six times the miles for each US Airways Shuttle flight for
travel now through June 30, 2003.
Old Feb 23, 03, 9:12 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Delta never seems to go very long without some kind of Shuttle promotion. Since triple base miles expired at the end of 2002, this may be the longest they have gone without one in years.

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 03, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

But one can earn 6X miles on the US Air Shuttle, albeit not base. Still, 3000 miles for every shuttle segment is an impressive bonus, and one that DL would be hard pressed to ignore.
Old Feb 24, 03, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
My Shuttle flight this morning from LGA to DCA was completely full and I believe they had an extra section. If they are able to fill up their planes, then why should they offer more bonuses?
Old Feb 24, 03, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
My Shuttle flight this morning from LGA to DCA was completely full and I believe they had an extra section. If they are able to fill up their planes, then why should they offer more bonuses?</font>
Monday morning is busier than usual for obvious work-related reasons. There are quite a few Sunday evening flyers and other business types who are now opting for the train instead of the plane and such bonuses may help lure those people. I don't know the Amtrak numbers for the NE Corridor and Acela, but I would not be surprised if Amtrak has seen an increase (or less of a decrease) in passengers on the DC-NYC-Boston routes than the shuttles.

For those without a corporate contract that basically ties them to one carrier or the other, some informed passengers on the shuttle routes may presume to fly Delta a bit more than usual (to get miles that may be worth a little more for a little longer as US Air and United miles may both be worthless).

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 03, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
My Shuttle flight this morning from LGA to DCA was completely full and I believe they had an extra section. If they are able to fill up their planes, then why should they offer more bonuses?</font>
First, it was the end of a school vacation week, and loads would be higher than usual. Second, LGA had severe delays and cancellations due to dense fog and low ceilings on 2/23, and whatever flight you were on may have simply had extra demand because of previous cancellations. The overall shuttle load factors are generally quite low. The competitor is basically offering 6X the FF miles offered by DL. Even against bankrupt competition, DL must stay close to keep market share.
Old Feb 24, 03, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
First, it was the end of a school vacation week, and loads would be higher than usual. Second, LGA had severe delays and cancellations due to dense fog and low ceilings on 2/23, and whatever flight you were on may have simply had extra demand because of previous cancellations. The overall shuttle load factors are generally quite low. The competitor is basically offering 6X the FF miles offered by DL. Even against bankrupt competition, DL must stay close to keep market share.</font>
Ok, then let me be a little more clear, it's been full basically every Monday morning for the last few months at least. I've taken return flights on both Thursdays and Fridays and have also been experiencing very full flights.
Old Feb 25, 03, 6:00 am
Original Poster

There are peak flights that do well, but the average general load factor for the shuttle is under 50% IIRC.
Old Feb 25, 03, 10:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
There are peak flights that do well, but the average general load factor for the shuttle is under 50% IIRC.</font>
But as a % of market share, are all of the shuttles only hitting 50% or just Delta during these non-peak times? My point is that if Delta is still competitive and not getting left behind then why should they offer huge bonuses? IMHO, I believe that people are really just whining b/c they have corporate policies to take the Delta Shuttle instead of the US Airways shuttle and just want to "earn" bonus miles. Obviously, these people are already flying the Delta shuttle over USAirways and thus providing a bonus isn't necessarily going to increase the Delta Shuttle business.
Old Feb 25, 03, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Amtrak's new Acela trains are about the same price as my corporate fare on the Delta Shuttle and sometimes more convenient, particularly if I'm leaving from my home (near Princeton). I tend to choose the Shuttle primarily because of SkyMiles. When the promotions stop, however, the decision starts to tilt more in the direction of the train. In other words, it's not just one shuttle versus the other; trains are in the running, too.

Bruce
Old Feb 25, 03, 11:07 am
Original Poster

And the DL Boston shuttle facilities are a dump compared to US Air's, at least until 2005 when the new treminal is supposed to open.

So let's see... US Air has a nicer terminal, seat selection to allow avoiding the "line-up", full sized aircraft BOS-DCA instead of CRJs AND 6X FF miles... and some think that DL is doing OK.
Old Feb 25, 03, 11:27 am

Yes, I haven't commented yet on the "line-up." People start forming a line for the next flight almost immediately after each plane departs. If you arrive well ahead of time, you can't really take a chance on sitting down and relaxing, because you'll be way far back in the line, which always has 50-100 people by the time boarding begins. And the line moves VERY slowly. And people cut in, which usually leads to arguments. And no Medallion recognition, of course! It's not a pleasant experience.

Bruce
Old Mar 20, 03, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
As a longtime twice-monthly CO flyer EWR-DCA, I have recently gotten fed up with CO's fare policies (and RJs) on that route and have recently experimented with both of the Shuttles from LGA when better than CO fares were available.
And US clearly gets my vote because of the "line-up" required flying the airline that advertises "no more lines." I have not been forced into more distasteful line situation in many years and will not give DL any more business on the Shuttle until they figure out a better way.
Even Southwest treats its pax better with its sequential boarding card system.

Search this Thread