Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade frustations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:54 pm
tph
Original Poster

Upgrade frustations

As a PM, I'm well aware that at this time I'm unable to upgreade LUT fares. However, on a trip on Monday SLC-DEN, there were 7 FC seats available with coach almost completly full. They were selling upgrades for $50 each. I had a U Fare . In a nutshell, they put nonrevs in FC (approx 5 of them. Flight Attendants, Captain and Copilot), instead of doing a bit of goodwill and putting me up there. Very frustrating!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:57 pm

tph:

That has happened to all of us....they are following the rules. The time I would get angry is if there are "operational upgrades" and a non medallion was upgraded before a PM on a loser ticket.

marc
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:58 pm

Why not spend the extra $50 in advance and buy a K or Q fare?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:24 pm

It is frustrating it happened to me last night where there were open seats in F/C and just before taxi they brought up two crew members but I was on a U fare so I have nothing to complain about. On certain other carriers it would not mater you could upgrade. The upgrade fee was $75 at the gate with no takers that I could tell it was a 3.5 hour flight on a MD-88 without much additional service not worth the extra. The K fare was $180 more than the U fare in my case if I could have gotten it for $50 I would have paid the difference out of my pocket.

In the past week there seems to be more open seats in F/C than ever before Delta's new system of controling the F/C area seems to be working. I normally never saw any available seats on these flights before. Just an observation made by myself and a GM traveling last night.

[This message has been edited by BigD (edited 03-19-2003).]
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Because all too often, K+ is more than $200 higher than insULT. That's too much money to spend for a slightly larger seat, free booze and often no food or inseat power.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FrequencyFlyer:
Why not spend the extra $50 in advance and buy a K or Q fare?</font>
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:01 am

FrequencyFlyer
I only wish K+ fares were only $50 more.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:19 am

On a trip to ABQ booked a month in advance the fare was $220. The least expensive upgradable K fare was $730. First class was 25% to 70% empty. This PM/MM sat in dungeon class.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:21 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Because all too often, K+ is more than $200 higher than insULT.</font>
That's $50 per segment on your average 4-segment round-trip.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:05 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tph:
As a PM, I'm well aware that at this time I'm unable to upgreade LUT fares. However, on a trip on Monday SLC-DEN, there were 7 FC seats available with coach almost completly full. They were selling upgrades for $50 each. I had a U Fare . In a nutshell, they put nonrevs in FC (approx 5 of them. Flight Attendants, Captain and Copilot), instead of doing a bit of goodwill and putting me up there. Very frustrating!</font>
This is why I left...
Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:54 am

sowalsky
I only take non-stops and most of my routes are about $200+ more for K.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:27 am

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FrequencyFlyer:
It's been a long time since there was just a $50 difference between .5LUT fares and a K on the routes I fly. Example ATL-MCO (T - $150 / U - $240 / K - $380 - all approx)
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:06 am

I've had some of my Delta friends (pilots and flight attendants) say the same thing to me. The price difference between LUT and and upgradeable fare is usually hundreds of dollars (on the flights I take) - and that doesn't guarantee an upgrade for GM or SM. It's really frustrating to "buy up" to a K fare and then end up not getting the upgrade and sitting in coach - and knowing you could have spent much less for that coach seat.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver
I hear your frustrations. Tommorow will be my first flight on DL this year. I am GM and have a confirmed seat in G, but have been waitlisted in V for three days now. The load shows 15 seats in F and 4 seats in Y. Why won't they clear me in V clas? The wonderful world of Delta!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:31 am
tph
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replys. Yes, the upgrade to a higher class was much more than $50.
I wonder what would have happened if there were no nonrevs to put in FC. Would they have departed with empty seats up front or put standby's up there?
This happened to me last year (similar) when I had two FC award travel seats for my wife and I on a trip to Cancun for our Honeymoon. It was SLC-ATL-Cancun. We had FC in all flights except for the SLC-ATL. I understood that this segment was just not available. OK. But, then we we departed, they had put several flight attendants, captains, etc.. in FC! So they got to sit there even though I had already shelled out 60000 miles for a FC Seat! I asked a FA during the flight why this was (very kindly I might add) and she kinda brushed me off saying the Delta employess were flying on full coach fares...(I guess even in uniform??) I think she thought I was dumb!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:41 am

Programs: delta/song
If coach was full and these crews needed to Deadhead to fly another flight, then what did you want to happen? I am very sorry this is happening but you did have the chance to upgrade and did not pay the fee. Am I understanding this correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.