anyone flown on Chatauqua?

Old Mar 12, 03, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
anyone flown on Chatauqua?

I see the morning flight from MCO to FLL is no longer comair but rather Chatauqua and back to the small planes. Has anyone used this "airline" yet? Any comments would be welcome.

Also, I don't quite understand DL's logic - I seem to recall that they use to have a late afternoon/early evening flight from FLL to MCO but that is gone - what point is a flight that leaves at 7:55 PM for business travelers? I will be on SWA for that portion of the trip and probably the entire trip [they have 9 flights a day each way] - I am not too excited about the prospect of flying Chatauqua.
Old Mar 12, 03, 11:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I have - with AA. They do the STL-SDF flights on the ERJ. They're a decent RJ company, definitely better than ASA.
Old Mar 12, 03, 10:35 pm

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
I flew them a while back between St. Louis to Toronto. I found them to be a competent feeder airline that flies jungle jets instead of props.

On my flight, they served free liquor. Maybe that was because it was an international flight, maybe it was before the cutbacks began in earnest.

While I have not flown them lately, I would not object to flying them again. And to quote Spiff, it isn't ASA.

(edited to give proper credit to Spiff)

[This message has been edited by MetairieTraveler (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 13, 03, 10:18 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
We flew them recently from MCo-MIA. We had an equipment problem that they were able to resolve in less than an hour on a Sunday, when they needed help from the plane manufacturer. I was sure it wouldn't happen, but they did it. And gave us free drinks when we re-boarded. Nice small plane, nice service

------------------
PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, gold 6C Priority
Old Mar 13, 03, 11:16 am

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
Donna,

I've flown the same route a couple of times. Chataqua is fine for an RJ company. You'll notice nothing different than ComAir in terms of service.

Not sure what you mean by small plane. I flew it a few times on the typical RJ plane.

The issue here is DL's logic in the intraFLA market. SW flights 9 times each way FLL-MCO and FLL-TPA, and FLL-JAX. They have this frequency with 737's and they're full ALL THE TIME.

I recently had a FLL-MCO flight cancelled at noon, and they wanted to rebook me at 7:00PM. Totally ridiculous for a business traveler with meetings in MCO. I had to rebook on SW and DL didn't want to refund or credit that leg (of a larger itinerary) because it was weather. They gave me MQM credit, but the point is DL's FLA strategy is flawed.

They want to be in the discount carrier market there, but they don't want to attack it the way SW does. If you're going to have cheap fares, you need to have frequency. I can't fly TPA-FLL except for one flight. Chataqua is not the problem - DL is...!!
Old Mar 13, 03, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

By small plane reference I meant that it appears the planes used by Chat. are similar in size to the Brasilia prop planes that Comair use to use - at least it appears that way from the seat selection chart.

You are certainly right about DL's schedules. While I realize that there are many people on the SW flights that are going/coming from other cities - nevertheless, the number of people that board between MCO and FLL are no doubt more than enough to fill up an RJ each time. I sort of go in waves as to where I am flying within FL but when I have to go to south florida [miami or fll area] i generally book two seperate fully refundable one-way tix both on DL and on SW between MCO and FLL for both the outgoing and return flight. This generally avoids the situation you ran into. In the past, I would try to always take the DL flights to maintain my elite status [but now who cares!] and there were many occasions [particurly return fll to mco] where i could not make the early afternoon flight home so would opt for the SWA flight that is more convenient for business travelers ... or if one airline was delayed I would opt for whichever one would get me home the quickest. This avoided the situation of having to worry about not using the first portion of the ticket and getting entire flight cancelled, or not being able to get refund on second half of non-used ticket. The cost is the same for the tickets from mco-fll regardless if buying a r/t or 2 one ways [thanks to SWA competition, ticket price is fairly cheap]

But again, you are correct, DL really seems to be missing out on alot of business travelers in Florida with their ridiculous schedules and the lack of flights.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FL-Delta-Platinum:
Donna,

I've flown the same route a couple of times. Chataqua is fine for an RJ company. You'll notice nothing different than ComAir in terms of service.

Not sure what you mean by small plane. I flew it a few times on the typical RJ plane.

The issue here is DL's logic in the intraFLA market. SW flights 9 times each way FLL-MCO and FLL-TPA, and FLL-JAX. They have this frequency with 737's and they're full ALL THE TIME.

I recently had a FLL-MCO flight cancelled at noon, and they wanted to rebook me at 7:00PM. Totally ridiculous for a business traveler with meetings in MCO. I had to rebook on SW and DL didn't want to refund or credit that leg (of a larger itinerary) because it was weather. They gave me MQM credit, but the point is DL's FLA strategy is flawed.

They want to be in the discount carrier market there, but they don't want to attack it the way SW does. If you're going to have cheap fares, you need to have frequency. I can't fly TPA-FLL except for one flight. Chataqua is not the problem - DL is...!!
</font>
Old Mar 15, 03, 10:59 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
Unfortunately. I've found that the FA's are very hostile and not polite to pax in the slightest.
Old Mar 16, 03, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
I have flown both the MIA and FLL (from MCO) route both with Chautauqua (I believe that they eventually will replace most if not all of the Florida Comair routes). Flight attendent on all three flights I took was very nice. The ERJ (Embraer RJ) is smaller. The configuration is 1 2 seating (like the prop version) however other then that not much difference from the CRJ. If you have been in one RJ you have been in them all.

------------------
former EASTERN ET,AA Gold,US Gold. Current DL PM-MM,Marriott PL, SPG PLT, Hilton Gold
Old Mar 17, 03, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
Unfortunately. I've found that the FA's are very hostile and not polite to pax in the slightest.</font>
You are right, the FA was not the greatest ... I always found the Comair FAs to be most pleasant - maybe he just had a bad but I really can't stand having to listen to them complain about it.

Of course, he was also there only for our safety and not to even give out warm bottled water - and gee after we sat in a stuffy plane on the tarmac for 1/2 hour or so before leaving MCO.

Old Mar 17, 03, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Donna D:
Chatauqua and back to the small planes. Has anyone used this "airline" yet? </font>

Donna, how was the plane and seating size?
Old Mar 18, 03, 8:52 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:

Donna, how was the plane and seating size?
</font>
As someone else said - it had the same 2/1 layout as the old brasilias so when i saw the seat config online, i assumed it was the same type of plane. I had an emergency row seat but my flight was suppose to leave at 3:50 - as it turns out, the 2:20 flight had never left - my flight was cancelled and i was put on the 2:20 flight that left around 5 pm - so i ended up in row 2 on the side with one seat - it was much roomier than the Brasilia in terms of leg room [i am 5'7" - and it was barely adequate] but i would not recommend it for any flight over 1/2 hour - we were stuck at the gate in MCO for at least 1/2 hour and i was getting a bit miserable. I never got up to walk to back of plane and check out the back or the leg room in the emergency row seats. On a good note, the plane was obviously brand new and sparkling clean - seats were all leather.

[i won't even discuss the confusion and lack of communication regarding the delayed 2:20 pm flight and my cancelled flight].

Search this Thread