Don't Mean to Ask a Dumb Question but....

Old Mar 14, 03, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Don't Mean to Ask a Dumb Question but....

I am more or less a novice traveller compared to most of you. I normally hang out at the Air Canada board where for the most part, no question is too dumb to ask. (its the Canadian way).

But since I am travelling with wife and daughter in tow on Delta very soon (I haven't flown on Delta in about 20 years), I thought I would ask my neophyte question on this board and see if the Flyertalk friendly spirit extends to Delta FTers as well.

I bought deep discounted tickets on delta through Orbitz and as a result I will on my way home be travelling from Orlando, through Atlanta, to Syracuse. The ticket I bought only allows a 35 minute connection between flights in Atlanta. I checked at Delta.com, and if the flight had been today there would only have been 13 minutes to make the connection!

Though I will drag my little family as fast I can through Hartsfield's terminals, I doubt that there will be any way to make that connection. (When you have to go, you have to go, if you know what I mean).

Here comes the dumb part of my question:

What will happen exactly if I miss the connection?

There are two other flights leaving Atlanta that day for Syracuse (one on Atlantic Southeast). Will we automatically be protected on one of those later flights if, despite our herculean efforts, we miss the flight (assuming there is space)? Or will I have to quote some obscure FAA number in order to have a chance of ever seeing the Great White North again?

In summary, to all you Delta experts from Atlanta - what exactly do I do and what exactly do I ask for?

Many thanks from an Air Canada refugee.

[This message has been edited by Salisbury5 (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 03, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
No such thing as dumb question, Eh!

I am not sure 35 minutes is a legal connection in ATL. I have mad it in less time. Problem is id outbound from ATL is ASA you have several terminals to run.

My guess is that you will be protected...But I would call DL and ask.
Old Mar 14, 03, 12:43 pm

35 minutes is the legal connection time. Remember that doors shut approximately 10 minutes early if possible.

Delta will not automatically protect you...you could be on standby hell. But, you are one of the lucky ones with the new policy. Delta will confirm you on the next flight for free if seats are available.

If your flight comes into E and you are connecting to ASA, you should be able to make it if you hurry. I would definitely hurry.

marc
Old Mar 14, 03, 12:49 pm

I can't tell for sure, but from your comment that there are two later flights ATL-SYR, I'm assuming that you are on DL 1412 MCO-ATL 850a-1020a, then DL 1258 ATL-SYR 1100a-109p, or something close to that. I wasn't sure of your dates, but the current schedule is showing 40 minutes - they may have adjusted it by the date of your flight (and they may again).

In any case, 35-40 minutes is just barely a legal connection in ATL, but you may be OK. It looks like your MCO-ATL flight is regularly scheduled to arrive into gate B1, and the ATL-SYR flight is regularly scheduled to go out of B21. While this can change between now and then (and may change that day based on daily operations), if those gates hold and you are reasonably on time into ATL, you should be able to get from B1 to B21 in time, even with kids - just be ready to move.

If you are indeed too late, DL will generally protect you, but don't assume. If there's a long line, go ahead and get in line but call DL on your cell to see if the phone agent can do it quicker. Be ready for the fact that reticketing could break up any family group seating - there's really nothing you or DL can do if the only remaining seats are scattered.
Old Mar 14, 03, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

In a word - wow. Yes, those are my flights.

My only question...where exactly would I get "in line" to get boarding passes for the next flight?

Thanks again. FTers are the best!
Old Mar 14, 03, 8:58 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
If you miss the connection and get confirmed on another flight via cell, your existing boarding passes can be used on the new flight. Just watch the screens for your seat assignments - as they always tell you if you even try to approach the gate.
Old Mar 14, 03, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I may be wrong, but this is what I was once told. My husband was partially handicapped but hated using wheelchair assistance. The CSR told us that when making connections, if you are on your own and you miss the flight, oh well. If you are using wheelchair assistance, they will wait for you since they are responsible for getting you there. Not sure that's true, but that's what I was told. So....if desperate......and if this is true......ask for assistance!
Old Mar 15, 03, 9:30 am

Salisbury5 -

Generally if someone on a flight is missing a connection, there will be a gate agent at the podium of the arrival gate to assist the inbound passengers in rebooking (in addition to the "uniformed Delta agents greeting the flight"). If there's no one at the podium, just ask one of the greeters.

If a flight like MCO-ATL is late, there will probably be several (many?) folks missing connections, so there may be a line. If the line is too long, you may want to begin walking up the concourse to see if you find a gate agent who's not busy - just tell them what happened and they can often help.

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 03-15-2003).]
Old Mar 15, 03, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:
Salisbury5 -

Generally if someone on a flight is missing a connection, there will be a gate agent at the podium of the arrival gate to assist the inbound passengers in rebooking (in addition to the "uniformed Delta agents greeting the flight"). If there's no one at the podium, just ask one of the greeters.

If a flight like MCO-ATL is late, there will probably be several (many?) folks missing connections, so there may be a line. If the line is too long, you may want to begin walking up the concourse to see if you find a gate agent who's not busy - just tell them what happened and they can often help.

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 03-15-2003).]
</font>
Aint no mo greeters... Red Coats are dun gone...or going fast
Old Mar 15, 03, 10:01 am

Programs: DL MM/GM, WN A-List, SPG PLAT
If you are travelling on one of the MD-11's or 777 from MCO-ATL they will arrive in the E concourse at ATL, usually quite a hike to the A and B concourses where most connections are in ATL, I refuse to book these trips with 35 minute connection times and these aircraft, By the time you de-plane the large jet and get out of the E concourse your screwed.The worst is when u arrive on time and wait 10 minuets for your gate to become available.

If your connection is not arriving in the e concoures you have a pretty good shot.
Old Mar 15, 03, 11:04 am

Salisbury5 -

ThisDJ may be right, depending on the day of the week. When I looked at this the other day DL1412 was showing Thursday and Friday flights going into B1, as I said. But it looks like flights today and tomorrow (Saturday/Sunday) are arriving into E26. Oddly enough, on Saturday/Sunday DL1258 ATL-SYR departs from B1!

Not sure if this is a true change that just happened to occur now, or if this is a standard weekday/weekend variation. If this is a day of the week thing, you'll probably be OK on the weekdays connecting B1/B21. But if it's a Saturday or Sunday, a 35-40 minute E26/B1 connection will be difficult, if not impossible.

If you want to check as the day approaches, you can enter the flight number on the first page of delta.com and check the details for flights that day or the next.
Old Mar 15, 03, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:
Salisbury5 -

ThisDJ may be right, depending on the day of the week. When I looked at this the other day DL1412 was showing Thursday and Friday flights going into B1, as I said. But it looks like flights today and tomorrow (Saturday/Sunday) are arriving into E26. Oddly enough, on Saturday/Sunday DL1258 ATL-SYR departs from B1!
</font>
Are you Syracusing Delta of playing Musical Gates?
Old Mar 16, 03, 8:56 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Double check schedules for ATL-SYR. Some of those flights go ATL-ROC-SYR and others go ATL-SYR-ROC. Timing is everything, meaning your arrival could vary considerably.
Old Mar 17, 03, 9:47 am

1. Get a map of ATL and know where the gates are. The various concourses T, A, B, C D and E intersect an undergound train at a perpendicular angle. If your gate is close to the intersection, good. If not, you are in for a long walk. This is the biggest factor IMHO than the disance between say A and E.

2. Many departures are delayed at ATL. So don't give up, even if you don't think you can make it--your departure may be delayed and you may get there before it departs.

Search this Thread