FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   www.boycottdelta.org (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57808-www-boycottdelta-org.html)

wakkawakkawakka Mar 3, 2003 12:38 pm

www.boycottdelta.org

I just heard about a boycott of Delta because of their involvement with running credit checks and background investigations of their customers, that CAPPS trial testing thing.
There's even a way to donate miles to charity...very cool.
The site is www.boycottdelta.org

Cheers,

jeffreyt Mar 3, 2003 12:44 pm

I can't support this website, only because the test for sharing information with the goverment is not a Delta initiative, even though Delta is testing it. The real complaints there should lie with congressional leaders and the TSA.

I think a more appropriate site to focus on is www.saveskymiles.com that is working to restore our benefits as frequent fliers.

yknot Mar 3, 2003 12:47 pm

the one click to complain link is great! It's got all the exec's personal emails all set for you. Try it!

AS Flyer Mar 3, 2003 12:52 pm

Who are you going to boycott once all of the airlines are required to perform these checks prior to you arriving at the airport? Incidentally, where is the boycott El Al site? There checks are far more intrusive.

wakkawakkawakka Mar 3, 2003 1:02 pm

My guess is that if Delta has to choose between Chapter 7 or ending CAPPS testing involvement, they'll stop CAPPS. The other airlines won't cooperate with the TSA if it means going banko.
You can't fight city hall (TSA), but economic pressure on a company works.

ConnFlyer Mar 3, 2003 1:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka:
My guess is that if Delta has to choose between Chapter 7 or ending CAPPS testing involvement, they'll stop CAPPS. The other airlines won't cooperate with the TSA if it means going banko.
You can't fight city hall (TSA), but economic pressure on a company works.
</font>

This is really stupid (sorry for the flame). DL has NO control over CAPPS. If the airlines do not cooperate, they will indeed go BK as they will eventually be shut down. The airlines have NO CHOICE but to cooperate. If you have a problem with CAPPS, talk to your congressman, but blaming the airlines is just ignorant.

Why is DL going first? I suspect its largely technological. DL's technology is superior to most other airlines making DL the best to start with.

yknot Mar 3, 2003 1:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
the one click to complain link is great! It's got all the exec's personal emails all set for you. Try it!</font>
use the complain link to send your SKYMILES beefs!

underpressure Mar 3, 2003 1:58 pm

a "bit over the top" for me. I am wondering if this is brought to you by the same vocal minority that hate any kind of profiling and put nails into trees to hurt loggers?

Folks, if you don't like it, drive. And I would bet a lunch that the people who authored this do not now, nor have they ever owned a single share of DL stock that they are encouraging you to sell.

wakkawakkawakka Mar 3, 2003 2:11 pm

Wow...that last comment was 'over the top'. To compare not wanting your private information splattered all over databases with tree spikers?
I just don't like the idea of internal border controls. You've got to admit, CAPPS II is pretty invasive...

Canarsie Mar 3, 2003 2:13 pm

That site may be confused with www.saveskymiles.com by the public, by frequent travelers, by the media - and/or possibly by representatives of Delta Air Lines.

That may not necessarily be a good thing.

obscure2k Mar 3, 2003 2:15 pm

--Canarsie--I am in complete agreement with you. These are very separate issues. I do not think the lines should be blurred.

dbk10 Mar 3, 2003 2:27 pm

The site isn't even correct, I know one of my first concerns was the credit check thing ruining my personal score. However, after posting the question I was informed that it does not affect my credit rating when they do their check....This web site says, "Delta: Credit Killer

Every time a credit report is run on you, it hurts your credit rating.
Frequent fliers will not only have a nice thick Delta dossier, but a damaged credit history to boot. Mileage or mortgage: the choice is yours." - unfortunately, that is a false statement on www.boycottdelta.com

The web site is also misinformed about how long the system will retain your information, "All the information gathered will be stored for fifty (50!) years on computers that may or may not be safe from malicious hackers out to steal your identity." When in actuality, I believe that only those people flagged with yellow or red will have their information retained for that long.

While I do think that what the government wants to do is an invasion of privacy and I do fear the possibility of hackers invading my bank accounts, I don't believe that I can support the cause through this website, which doesn't seem to have done its research.

mikey1003 Mar 3, 2003 2:41 pm

Stay away from this site...

Support www.saveskymiles.com

flyhawaii Mar 3, 2003 7:40 pm

Is it really true when someone runs a credit check on you, your credit goes down? If I fly Delta and earn another mileage program, would they still do a check on you?

jimrpa Mar 3, 2003 9:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by underpressure:

Folks, if you don't like it, drive.

</font>
I'm sorry, but that's a silly sentiment. For various employment purposes, I've had every nook and cranny of my life ruthlessly prodded by the government. That was done for VERY good reason, and with my full understanding and consent. This is an ENTIRELY different animal. Essentially, your government has decided, a priori, that it has to conduct extremely invasive checks on EVERY citizen who flies. While I certainly can't argue the legal theory of the case, my common sense tells me that this leads away from such hallmarks of our society as "innocent until proven guilty" and "freedom to move about as we choose".

I just flew back from DAB. You may recall that I've ranted before about the number of TSA screeners DAB requires (home of radical NASCAR extremists and AARP cells that it is). Anyway, I got there pretty early and went through the silly security screening check. Well, despite removing anything even vaguely resembling metal from my person so as not to set off the magnetometer, and successfully passing it without a beep, I was STILL directed to step aside for additional screening. When I asked why, I was told that they had to select someone at random for screening, and since I was the only person present, guess what - I was the lucky random selectee. Of course, having nothing else to do, they took their time to THOROUGHLY inspect me. Trust me - if the Volusia County Sheriff saw a man touch another man the way that screener was "screening" me, someone would have had a visit to the Volusia County jail on public indecency charges.

Anyway, the fun didn't end. After that, our flight was selected for random security screening. Stupid me, I thought they'd given up on the practice of "randomly" selecting the first first-class passenger. Oh no, they most certainly did NOT stop that practice at Daytona Beach, so once again, I was very CAREFULLY screened. You can imagine how positively ESTATIC I was at this opportunity to once again "do my patriotic duty" for "the homeland".

Yes, the world is an increasingly dangerous place. America and Americans are increasingly resented and hated. I believe a lot of it is based on jealousy for what we have achieved. In any event, living in a free society involves a certain assumption of risk. I'm increasingly troubled by the gradual erosion of freedoms in the name of "safety"? How many NASCAR fans flew U.S.-registered commercial passenger aircraft into office buildings since the Wright brothers first flight? How many AARP members brutally murdered flight attendants and flight crew members on commercial passenger aircraft? How many members of our armed forces (or other people carefully vetted by the government) have then used aircraft as flying bombs with which to commit suicide in bizzare travesty of religious fevor? How is indiscriminate targetting of the above populations by the U.S. Government for security screening efficiently and effectively enhancing our safety as Americans while not wasting tax dollars?

"Folks, if you don't like it, drive." Yeah, right...