Does this make sense ??

Old Mar 5, 03, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Does this make sense ??

I was connecting today thru CVG into Florida and observed some very strange business applications by DL. The flight was oversold in coach but first had about 5 empty seats. There was a very nice DL agent working the flight alone. I was sitting close to the desk ,thus I was able to hear everything that was going on. With about 15 min to F class board she started asking for anyone with a tix other that T, U, L if they wanted to upgrade for $50. One taker. I guess there were a few Medallions who could upgrade but chose not to because they were traveling with friends or associates. One by one they were called to the podium. No takers.

Finally I stepped forward and said I has a U fare but my outbound was a Y and surely if she needed coach seats the average should make uncle Leo happy.

She said I wish I could but I have been with DL for 36 years and I was told if I did that I would lose my job. She even apologized for the way the company was treating its medallions now.

I said no problem just trying to help. End result we pushed with 3 empty F seats and overflow coach passangers being waitlisted for the next flight. Sign of the times I guess. I guess when Uncle Leo was a numbers cruncher at First Chicago he never really learned that when you go to lead a customer loyality business like an airline that the same business prins apply. 20% of your customers provide 80% of your revenues. Makes sense to him I suppose to beat up his best 20% --the loyal medallions. Nice job, Leo. You will make a great Harvard business study some day.
Old Mar 5, 03, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I would pay money to be able to read the front office message traffic that DL management is sending down to it's front line supervisors and employees.. I can just imagine the cold hearted treatment and sheer money grubbing going on..

Where's UDH when you need him?
Old Mar 5, 03, 5:04 pm

This is interesting. In the past, they would "involuntarily" bump someone up front. I was told that PM LUT fares were highest priority for this bump. Surprised they didn't do that today. Might be kinks with this new no standby policy.

marc
Old Mar 5, 03, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
That is really stupid. Doesn't this also cost Delta money? 3 people they could have put on a plane that they left sitting at the gate and that I presume they now must pay some sort of compensation to? They make no sense. What is gonna happen in the second half of the year or next year when people don't have any segment upgrades - doesn't that really mean less seats they can sell on a flight - the upgraders free up alot of seats for the regular coach passengers.
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
This is interesting. In the past, they would "involuntarily" bump someone up front. I was told that PM LUT fares were highest priority for this bump. Surprised they didn't do that today. Might be kinks with this new no standby policy.

marc
</font>
I agree, this is an interesting change in DL 'policy' which used to be (at least as of 12/02) to open up F to insULTing PM's if they needed the seats in Y...and they couldn't find enough K+ non-medallions to cough up the cash.

This might have something to do with the new 500-mile MSU's (that are now 'worth' something, theoretically) coming on line in 60 days. DL might have changed upgrade guidelines for GA's in anticipation of the new policies, so that to promote 500 mile MSU 'value' nobody (at least non-NRSA's) gets into F unless they are coughing up 500 mile MSU's.

[This message has been edited by CoMooter (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:14 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
deleted

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:30 pm

Misty:

Rereading your post, I'm confused. Were there confirmed pax that had to be voluntary/involuntary bumped OR were there pax trying to standby even though there is now a no standby policy.

marc
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:46 pm

I don't know what happened on the Florida flight described, but I am happy :-) to report that I was moved (kicking and screaming - not...) upfront just a few days ago on a trans-atlantic flight that was oversold in coach - I had a Q fare.

On the matter of the 20/80 rule - I doubt it applies to Delta or airlines with similar pax profiles. If F was full of F paying pax the 20/80 rule might be true - but I can't see how the numbers would work given the inventory they fly.
Old Mar 5, 03, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

She said I wish I could but I have been with DL for 36 years and I was told if I did that I would lose my job. She even apologized for the way the company was treating its medallions now.

.[/B]</font>
Ties right in with:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/009536.html
Old Mar 5, 03, 8:59 pm

These comments from Misty remind me of when First Chicago was the first to charge it's customers $3 to visit a live teller if you did not want to use the ATM. Next thing if you don't use a machine when dealing with Delta there will be a fee to talk with a human. I left First Chicago and am now leaving Delta because of these types of poor business decisions that have no thought toward the customer.

[This message has been edited by BigD (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 03, 3:26 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
If the flight pushed back with empty seats in F, they were not oversold in the back. Period.

New regulations within the SBUP program do not allow for paid upgrades on L/U/T fares anymore, even in oversold situations. Agents are supposed to give an operational upgrade to SkyMiles elite members in that situation.

This revised policy is effective 02/28/03.
Old Mar 6, 03, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Big D--Ties in. Remember Leo came from First Chicago. The thought of charging for a human check-in has crossed my mind as well. I am not sure that we are really close to that. I remember when FNB/CHI did that. The other Chicago banks may hay of it.
Old Mar 6, 03, 6:57 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
New regulations within the SBUP program do not allow for paid upgrades on L/U/T fares anymore, even in oversold situations. Agents are supposed to give an operational upgrade to SkyMiles elite members in that situation.

</font>
This is very good news.

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 03, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
I was on the phone with a Delta agent a couple of weeks ago - she spent about 15 minutes talking to me about all the medallion changes. She seemed sympathetic and asked if she could forward my comments - I said sure.

One of the things she mentioned, and I know it is only indirectly related to this topic, was that the agents now have some discretion when dealing with customers (she specifically mentioned being able to give berevement fares before an actual death).

I don't know how accurate that is, but it may be one little glimmer of hope (I'm always the optimist).

fp
Old Mar 6, 03, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
If the flight pushed back with empty seats in F, they were not oversold in the back. Period.

</font>
Well, that is not how it worked on Monday, March 3, DL165 BOS-ATL (767-300 ER):

Flight was oversold. I (Plat on an "L" fare) had a seat request card. Other non-Medallions also had seat request cards. I was boarded shortly after last boarding call, into one of two remaining coach seats. Non-medallions were given the remaining seven or eight B/E seats -- those B/E seats were the last to be filled. I believe this flight DL165 left about four confirmed people behind.

Search this Thread