Mainline->Shuttle Connx Illegal?

Old Mar 14, 03, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Mainline->Shuttle Connx Illegal?

It's Friday!

So, I'd like to fly FLL->LGA->DCA.
Delta.com permits this routing.
But, a phone agent will not.
"Because of the shuttle's on-time guarantee we can not permit connections from DL mainline to Shuttle flights."
A Supervisor says same thing.
Argggghhhh!

Instead of purchasing the ticket on-line, I want to buy it over the phone with a DBC voucher! (Leo doesn't deserve my cash)

Any ideas?
Any help?

I'm about to call back... and see what a third opinion might say.
Old Mar 14, 03, 4:38 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
While you can price this itinerary at delta.com, you might not be able to complete the transaction at the very final stage of purchase. I ran into this issue once when trying a similar itinerary. It was not legal, and online wouldn't complete the sale.
Old Mar 14, 03, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
But the website frequently offers connections which involve the DL Shuttle. So if it is loaded into the schedule, then these connections must be legal.

The real joke is when the offer connections into EWR and then out of JFK. That's a bit more inconvenient that a run from E12 to A2 at ATL, I'd say!

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 03, 10:09 pm

I've flown BOS-DCA-ATL a few times recently.
Old Mar 14, 03, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:
Called back after a shift change...
without any hesitation, a different agent changed it for me to include the LGA connection.

Ahhhhhh.
Thanks for the input.
A good weekend to all!
Old Mar 15, 03, 2:27 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BumpMe!:
UPDATE:
Called back after a shift change...
without any hesitation, a different agent changed it for me to include the LGA connection.
</font>
You can book it, but it's definitely not pleasant. The shuttle folks won't check your bags through for you, so you'll have to grab your bags from the Marine terminal and carry them with you as you ride the bus all the way over to the main line terminal and check them in again.

Also, in case the mood strikes, don't try to walk to the Marine Air terminal from the mainline terminal---the sidewalk ends and you'll find yourself on the side of a very narrow high-speed road! (Yes, I found this out the hard way, and was very impressed at the kindness of the shuttle bus driver who pulled over ot pick me up. He must not have been a local!)
Old Mar 15, 03, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
New York LGA, which is where you are planning to connect, is not an airport designed for connections between mainline and Shuttle. The different terminals handling these two separate Delta airlines are more than one mile apart. You will probably misconnect if you have anything less than one hour.

Why? The DL inter-terminal bus is generally intended for employees to move between the two very distant terminals. Not passengers. The DL Shuttle at the Marine Air terminus is not a transfer point. You can take a taxi for about $12 between these terminals if you are desperate. I am highly surprised that anyone would ever issue a connecting ticket from DL in LGA ex-Shuttle. This is strictly a terminus for BOS and DCA passengers.

Good luck. Do not be surprised if DL delays you after your possible misconnect. The Shuttle is beginning to play hardball on the rules, and it is run by some fairly rough individuals.
Old Mar 15, 03, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Oh, I know the bus well!
I've ALWAYS made my connection by giving myself about 1h20m.
I'd MUCH rather deal with LGA than ATL or RJs at CVG. Besides, with an upgrade, you can really enjoy the seat for a while on a long-haul FLL-LGA, for example.

That's not the the wackiest I've done in NYC though.

In fact, there have been at least 3 occasions in the past when I've been permitted to book DCA-&gt;LGA-&gt;JFK-&gt;NRT, SFO, or LAX. (NRT before Sept. 11, 2001)

In that instance, DL provided a car to take us from LGA to JFK!
We had to ask at baggage services... except the time we were in BE to NRT, in which case a red-coat was waiting for us and ushered us to a vehicle. That as nice.

Of course, I guess the cars and the red coats are now history. [groan]

Happy Saturday.
Old Oct 28, 06, 11:30 pm
MRW

Shuttle -> DL Conx @ DCA

I am looking at a routing that where I would go LGA-DCA on the Shuttle and connect to a DCA-MLB (DL Conx / ASA). Will they let me check my bag in LGA all the way through? The connection time is only 45 mins.

I know I could not do it I was connecting in LGA because the two terminals are so far apart, but at DCA these two flights will likely be parked next to each other.
Old Oct 28, 06, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
If it is.....it's news to me.

Earlier this year, I flew a NYC-SEA RT that was booked via Delta.com.

The only redeye return that didn't "break the bank" consisted of a SEA-IAD codeshare operated by AS (no longer ) with a connection to a DCA-LGA DL shuttle flight.

The connection didn't break the fare.

FWIW, switching airports on a Monday morning proved to be smoother than I thought it would be as I simply took the Washington Flyer/DC Metro combo to get from IAD to DCA.

In the past, I have also connected at BOS from mainline to the Shuttle.

Another indication I've occasionally noticed would be "connection info" displayed on the GIDS (usually info for only 1 or 2 flights) after disembarking a shuttle flight......at DCA, BOS and even LGA.

I've also recently started to notice some "suggested" routings (for paid and/or award tickets) that include a segment on the DL Shuttle when searching for flights on Delta.com.

A.J.
Old Oct 29, 06, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
DL used to prohibit any type of connections to/from Shuttle flights in BOS/LGA/DCA. However, they have since changed the policy and now allow these connections. Obviously, connections are very very easy to/from in BOS and DCA... LGA is a bit of a challenge, but the shuttle bus runs every 30 minutes and is timed to leave/arrive just before/after the shuttle flights on the half hour. Only potential jam is the line for security at the main terminal...but if you have status, it is not too bad
Old Oct 29, 06, 8:47 am

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I've made connection several times on the shuttle getting ATL-BOS by going ATL-LGA-BOS (and vice versa). I've never had problems booking them and it's not that big of a deal transferring. Real travelers carry their bags anyway..

However I haven't done it since journey control was implemented. It might blow up the cost of the ticket to do it now.
Old Oct 29, 06, 11:42 am

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Erasmus
He must not have been a local!)
Nice.

I've experienced a lot more kindness to strangers in the six years I've lived here than when I lived in San Diego and Newport Beach.
Old Oct 29, 06, 12:03 pm

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I agree - New Yorkers are friendly provided you aren't a total idiot. I'm an impatient person - so when I visit I fit in perfectly and I personally love the attitude..
Old Oct 29, 06, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Nice.

I've experienced a lot more kindness to strangers in the six years I've lived here than when I lived in San Diego and Newport Beach.
I would have said the same thing if it had happened in BOS. Having left New England for SoCal, I personally find there to be no comparison, but YMMV. Sounds like we're both happy with our current locales.

Search this Thread