Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Survey: If the Oct 3X Miles are not forthcoming...who plans to cancel their AE card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Survey: If the Oct 3X Miles are not forthcoming...who plans to cancel their AE card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am sorry about starting yet another thread on this controversy.... but I did not want the impact of the results to be diluted or lost in other threads.

I for one...plan to cancel. My only reservation is whether or not I would get my 2X miles from the November-December promo.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I'm seriously considering it. There are other ways to earn miles, and AMEX's pathetic response to the triple miles issue shows a real lack of conern on their part.

Additionally, with all the double and triple mile promos, it is very time consuming to go back and check your DL monthly statement against your AMEX charges. It's not worth the frustration!

AMEX is really making themselves look bad with this one. AMEX used to have a reputation for world-class customer service, but it appears that this is no longer the case.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 7:00 pm

I plan to cancel - but not because of the promo snafu, but because of the loss of DL->HH. And only after I build up 100K miles in my DL account (for emergency tickets).

I think we all understood the risks when we signed up for this, but maybe we ignored them. UnofficialDLHelper posted that "Well, as we've seen from other promos...if you register, you shall be rewarded." We all just assumed that s/he was right - funny, I haven't seen anything posted by him/her in 6 weeks.

I guess what I don't understand is why more FTer's haven't gone the supervisor route. With 25K miles at their discretion, I think most people could be placated if they would make he call and schmooze the supervisor. I don't know if it's too late for that.

Another route I've had pretty good luck with is planetfeedback.com. At this point, it can't hurt.

I think it was communication between DL & Amex that was hosed. We (the untargeted) should never have been allowed to register. We all changed our charging habits accordingly, and we've been hosed. I'm still out ~8K in spite of my 25K settlement with the Amex supervisor.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:07 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I do not mean to be redundant but I am posting this on both of david4455’s threads. I tried the CSR Supervisor route with no success. I first spoke to a very nice CSR who was sympathetic before being transferred to CSR Supervisor Mr. Rodriguez. After being cut off once I finally got back to him after having to go through the whole thing again with a new CSR, this one not at all sympathetic. I had previously spoken to CSR who had verified that I had registered over the telephone with Amex on Oct. 14, 2003. This was after my initial web registration.

The thrust of Mr. Rodriguez’s denial of my request was that the registration was on the Delta web site and if you were not targeted by Delta you would not receive miles. It did not matter that an Amex CSR also registered you. All she did was again register you on the Delta web site. Basically he said if I had a problem with that I should take it up with Delta.

Getting nowhere I took a more direct approach. I pointed out that I had hit the card very hard based on American Express’s telephone representations as well as the web site. Based on triple miles they still would owe me over 75,000 miles, which may be part of the problem. I told him that it was my understanding that in cases like this, where the cardholder was being denied miles through no fault of his, a CSR Supervisor could award up to 25,000 miles. I asked him if he would consider this. This is when Mr. Rodriguez became very testy. He told me that whoever told me that was not “authorized to” and that was “information I was not authorized to have.” He also said I was not getting any miles. I then suggested that I should continue to call until I found a more sympathetic Supervisor. That did not go over well! The discussion then centered on the notes he would put in my file that would certainly assure no other Supervisor would view my case differently. With that I said thank you and goodbye.

Yes, I will be canceling my SkyMiles Amex card, but not until I receive my "Dear John" letter and make sure cancellation will not in some way also cancel the 10,000 miles they owe me at the renewal date of the card.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
As soon as my yearly 10K bonus miles posts, I will be saying see 'ya. I hope the CSR's sake, they don't ask why I am cancelling...it would be a long conversation with much venting on my part.

The really sad thing is that I have encountered a lot of individuals (both front line CSR and supervisor) that really do go out of there way to make the customer happy. Unfortunately there is such an inconsistancy there best efforts are likely to be sabotaged by the next employee that you need to talk to. I am continually amazed to run into people that believe the hype about being a member and that Amex takes care of its cardholders.

Amex really needs to take a lesson or two from their partner Starwood. Those folks know how to do customer service.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I was targeted for the 3x miles and did register online. So far no miles and no decent treated by Am Ex. I finally got the 2x miles I was owed from last summer--in Nov.

I am likely not going to renew this card. Why should I pay so much money to be insulted?
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:24 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

amazing story ned....probably all of our files are marked......
Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I am angry, disappointed, and frustrated too. I feel like cancelling the card. But I didn't get the card in the first place to get triple miles in October - I got it for the double miles on DL tickets, drug stores, gas, etc. And I've never really had any problems with that. And I've gotten all the other special bonuses I've signed up for in the past. This is the first time I didn't get what I thought I deserved.

So the bottom line for me is that rational thinking tells me to keep the card even though emotionally I'd really enjoy showing them how I feel.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
JerryFF: I agree with you completely.

And since I am generally a leisure traveler I really do count on those 10K base miles.

We'll see what decisions AMEX makes and then each of us can decide.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:34 am

Between the triple miles fiasco and the loss of the Delta-Hilton transfer, the Delta AMEx card no longer provides sufficient value to me to keep it.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ned:
I tried the CSR Supervisor route with no success. I first spoke to a very nice CSR who was sympathetic before being transferred to CSR Supervisor Mr. Rodriguez. After being cut off once I finally got back to him after having to go through the whole thing again with a new CSR, this one not at all sympathetic. I had previously spoken to CSR who had verified that I had registered over the telephone with Amex on Oct. 14, 2003. This was after my initial web registration.

The thrust of Mr. Rodriguez’s denial of my request was that the registration was on the Delta web site and if you were not targeted by Delta you would not receive miles. It did not matter that an Amex CSR also registered you. All she did was again register you on the Delta web site. Basically he said if I had a problem with that I should take it up with Delta.

Getting nowhere I took a more direct approach. I pointed out that I had hit the card very hard based on American Express’s telephone representations as well as the web site. Based on triple miles they still would owe me over 75,000 miles, which may be part of the problem. I told him that it was my understanding that in cases like this, where the cardholder was being denied miles through no fault of his, a CSR Supervisor could award up to 25,000 miles. I asked him if he would consider this. This is when Mr. Rodriguez became very testy. He told me that whoever told me that was not “authorized to” and that was “information I was not authorized to have.” He also said I was not getting any miles. I then suggested that I should continue to call until I found a more sympathetic Supervisor. That did not go over well! The discussion then centered on the notes he would put in my file that would certainly assure no other Supervisor would view my case differently. With that I said thank you and goodbye.
</font>
Wow! It sounds like you used the almost the exact same approach I did - but with a completely different result. If you have 75K bonus miles coming, that means you put $37.5K on the card in a single month. It's hard for me to believe that they couldn't do something for a customer with that kind of spending power. Sorry to be judgmental, but that's just stupid business on the part of Amex.

They (the CSR's and supervisors) do make notes on the calls they receive, so further calls to the supervisors may be pointless. I don't know if you care to pursue it further, but letters through planetfeedback.com have always worked well for me in the past. It's a public forum, so maybe if there was enough negative publicity regarding this issue, they may decide otherwise. But then again, being Amex...

One other option: whenever I've had problems with Amex that CSR's and supervisors couldn't handle (like botched LOC transfers) - this guy has been my ace in the hole: Mike Stewart - he works at the Amex corporate office: 1-800-297-6197 ext. 38266. He's been able to make transfers for me within 24 hours instead of 7-10 days. Don't know if it will help, but I'm out of options. Sorry.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:44 am

I plan on cancelling regardless of if I receive my double Nov-Dec miles. I just can't stand playing the games any more. You have to watch for a promo., register for it, hope that it doesn't get messed up, wait for the points to post, and scream if they don't. The starwood card is much less of a headache for me. Plus, with the Delta/Hilton relationship going, so too am I.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:06 pm
Original Member

I'm expecting 300,000 miles and you can bet I will take my very significant business somewhere else if these points don't post. I haven't given up on them yet and still have hope but will be gone at the speed of light if they don't honor this.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Check my last post on the "Topic: Okay...it's Feb 1st...where are our triple miles? " thread.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 1:24 pm

Like TTT103, I am tired of all the promo games-watch for the promo, try to register, then babysit Amex until they post the bonus months later. Or they don't. Why does a company that posts charges every day need two or three months to credit a miles bonus? Why have targeted promotions which encourage some customers but anger many others?

This card is nothing special, and with an $85 fee, it's no bargain either.

BTW, I called to find out when my next annual fee was due. When I said I was thinking of cancelling, the CSR offered me a $40 credit to renew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.