FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Looking for Some Upgrade Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57766-looking-some-upgrade-advice.html)

dbk10 Mar 11, 2003 8:00 am

Looking for Some Upgrade Advice

I'm hoping someone could offer some constructive advice. I'm debating between purchasing an upgradeable fare and a first class ticket for a flight I want to take in June (19th - 22nd). When I do a search in first class there are a few seats available, but of course, Delta's stinginess has made it so that there are no upgrades at the current moment, speaking to a representative last night, I was told that I would be the first person on the waitlist and I am a platinum. I am going the weekend of the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage and would like to assume that most people that are running in the marathon (with the exception of myself) have already booked their tickets and thus I would have a good chance of getting my upgrade. However, it is a long flight from NYC and I am going to be very sore afterwards and will want to stretch out.

Is it worth buying an upgradeable fare and taking my chances or do those experienced think that I should just suck it up and pay the $$$ to guarantee first?

Blank Sheet Mar 11, 2003 8:41 am

Your problem is a prime example of the horrible changes to the Skymiles program.

IMHO, I am not buying the higher upgradable fares for flights after May 1st. At that time the LUT fares will be upgradable "at airport" and/or "day of" whatever that means.

[This message has been edited by CVGHostage (edited 03-11-2003).]

Air Brian Mar 11, 2003 9:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
I'm hoping someone could offer some constructive advice. I'm debating between purchasing an upgradeable fare and a first class ticket for a flight I want to take in June (19th - 22nd). When I do a search in first class there are a few seats available, but of course, Delta's stinginess has made it so that there are no upgrades at the current moment, speaking to a representative last night, I was told that I would be the first person on the waitlist and I am a platinum. I am going the weekend of the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage and would like to assume that most people that are running in the marathon (with the exception of myself) have already booked their tickets and thus I would have a good chance of getting my upgrade. However, it is a long flight from NYC and I am going to be very sore afterwards and will want to stretch out.

Is it worth buying an upgradeable fare and taking my chances or do those experienced think that I should just suck it up and pay the $$$ to guarantee first?
</font>
Looks to me like all that's available is K+ fares.
If not: the seat map shows an ample supply of exit row seat - second row exit seats that lean back, at that.
paying the extra $$ is exactly what they want you to do. If it were me, I'd confirm the exit row seat, if something open up, great, you'll get a few drinks. Otherwise, take the exit and enjoy not giving Uncle Leo any more $$.

good luck in the marathon.

dbk10 Mar 14, 2003 7:45 am

So I am taking flight 1429 from JFK all the way to ANC with a stopover in SLC. When I booked the flight, I didn't bother to check to see if either segment (between JFK-SLC or SLC-ANC) was available for upgrade; I only looked at the flight as a whole 1429 from JFK - ANC. I was waitlisted for the JFK - ANC, but then later checked and found that there were upgrades available from JFK - SLC. I called to see if I could use my points or certificates to upgrade that segment of my travel and Delta told me no. Because it is the same flight number, the upgrade needs to be available the entire way through. This is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard. So I'm waitlisted for the upgrade, and say all of a sudden an upgrade opens up from SLC - ANC, I won't be able to be upgrade that segment either unless there is also still an upgrade available from JFK - SLC.

Thanks for all of the platinum benefits Delta!