Lost status - can I use left over MSUs?

Old Mar 13, 03, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Lost status - can I use left over MSUs?

Went from GM to nothing as of March 1. My flying is way down the last couple of years, so no real complaint about that. I do have left over msu's in my account. Without status, will I be able to use them to upgrade on the R/T to Vegas that has been booked in U July? I know that elites will be able to updgrade these on the day of the flight, but will I? The 4 hour trip from ATL to LAS will be more a bit more bearable in 1st.
Old Mar 13, 03, 9:39 am

I think you may be able to use MSUs on a U in July if they are selling upgrades at the gate for insULT fares. I would call DL and ask though.
Old Mar 13, 03, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
In the past, non-elite SkyMiles members could use leftover non-expired MSUs on a standby basis at the gate. No telling what the current policy is.

If they allow you to do this, please do come back and tell us about your experience.
Old Mar 13, 03, 11:48 am

I might have some information soon on this. I might be using the DL AMEX 2-1 certificate for a PHL-LAS trip in April. From what I hear at least my paid ticket should be in an upgradeable fare class, so I'll see if I can use my MSU's for that ticket. I've read where in some cases Delta books the 2nd ticket in the same class, instead of some special fare class, in which case I might be able to use her MSU's to upgrade my travelling partner.

I should know within a week or so, I'm hoping the fares come down a little, but right not the DL 2-1 fare actually looks to be the cheapest.

Jeff
Old Mar 13, 03, 9:20 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Jeff,

Neither ticket will be upgradeable.

In 2001, I was able to upgrade both tix. That loophole (or programming error?) is gone. (My folks flew on my 2-for-1 just yesterday!)
Old Mar 13, 03, 10:14 pm

At least on the reservations I have on hold, both tickets show up as a K-class fare.

Interestingly even though the 2-1 certificate requires a 14 day advance purchase, and I didn't think K fares were more than that, the agent said the fare I got has a 30 day advance purchase requirement. Glad I put it on hold since 30 days from now is exactly when I wanted to leave.

I'll call up tomorrow, if it's really 30 days I should get a different fare.

Jeff
Old Mar 13, 03, 11:03 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
My parents' tix both showed as Q class. However, NAMUs would not be taken, and mileage for the "free" ticket would not be awarded. The system has become more sophisticated. Good luck. Report your results.

Search this Thread