Delta is going to test CAPPS II

Old Feb 27, 03, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Delta is going to test CAPPS II

Feds Testing Air Passengers Check System

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:48 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government is getting ready to test a new risk-detection system that would check background information and assign a threat level to everyone who buys a ticket for a commercial flight.

The system, ordered by Congress after the Sept. 11 attacks, will gather much more information on passengers. Delta Air Lines will try it out at three airports beginning next month, and a comprehensive system could be in place by the end of the year....

See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/005912.html

For complete article (requires free registration):

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...-Security.html

Bruce
Old Feb 27, 03, 7:31 pm

Good ! Wonder how long it will be before the security screeners in Europe stop asking so many questions. I was once screened by a secondary screener in BRU because the first screener thought one my answers was suspicious. In answer to her question relating to why I was connecting on DL through brussels when I originated in Dublin my answer was "Because the ticket I wanted was half price through Brussels". The ticket was an M fare that I could upgrade....

I don't get all the arguments about profiling. Of course profiling is necessary.
Old Feb 27, 03, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
My initial reaction to this was ...I have nothing to hide and whatever eases the security process for "trusted travelers" is OK in my book.
Then, I read the NY Times article and now have a few misgivings. This quote bothers me:

"Transportation officials say a contractor will be picked soon to build the nationwide computer system, which will check such things as credit reports and bank account activity and compare passenger names with those on government watch lists."

What does ones credit report have to do with their potential as a security risk??
And, then I see our friends at TSA will administer the system...which doesn't thrill me either.
The tinfoil hat and black helicopter crowd are going to have a field day with this!!

Old Feb 27, 03, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--perhaps "targeted promotions" will be linked to our bank accounts and credit reports--
Old Feb 27, 03, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am looking for a flight to the United States of America. I want to go back home now.

Can anyone tell me what airline flies there? Please help me find it???
Old Feb 28, 03, 6:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:

"Transportation officials say a contractor will be picked soon to build the nationwide computer system, which will check such things as credit reports and bank account activity and compare passenger names with those on government watch lists."

What does ones credit report have to do with their potential as a security risk??
And, then I see our friends at TSA will administer the system...which doesn't thrill me either.

</font>
That will be interesting since DL doesn't have an SSN for me nor do they have an address from any US credit file - and they don't have access to European credit files...

I agree with profiling in general but there has been a tendency to use 9/11 to push the envelope too far. Elements of the inapproriately named Patriot Act are not what one expects from a true free democracy.

Old Feb 28, 03, 6:37 am

A Delta computer screen reads:

.prompt.

Passenger Security
*****:Threat Level:****

Name: Bruce Schobel
Comments: Troublemaker - Participant of subversive website Flyertalk
Tactics: Be wary!

Old Feb 28, 03, 6:39 am

It would be fun to imagine that DL was feeding promos in an effort to identify active FT members - but then I remember that this is the same company that still doesn't accurately control signup for these promos and whose online bookings is still one of the weakest around. Fun to imagine though.....

[This message has been edited by CelticFlyer (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 03, 8:39 am

If you don't want to register for NYTimes, here's the Yahoo! version:

http://www.shorl.com/fivodrygomefre
Old Feb 28, 03, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
A Delta computer screen reads:

.prompt.

Passenger Security
*****:Threat Level:****

Name: Bruce Schobel
Comments: Troublemaker - Participant of subversive website Flyertalk
Tactics: Be wary!

</font>
Add to the tactics, never ask him to remove his shoes.

Old Feb 28, 03, 9:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 28, 03, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
So are they going to run a credit check on me every time I fly? I'll never be able to purchase anything, my credit will be so low from all of the checks. And if these machines are checking our bank accounts and credit histories, then it only opens one more door for hackers to gain access to them also. I don't think they have this right of invasion.
Old Feb 28, 03, 11:36 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Someone will instantly tell you that you GIVE them this right when you VOLUNTARILY buy a plane ticket. I don't happen to agree, but I've heard the argument so often, I thought I'd save someone else the time and make it for them.

Bruce
Old Feb 28, 03, 11:45 am

Prior to the medallion changes, this was my biggest complaint with Delta. While Mullin was complaining to congress about getting into Heathrow, Carty was trying to get smart flyer cards. Given that I have been investigated by the government for years, I welcome the chance to be investigated, cleared as a trusted flyer, and then being able to avoid most of the onerous airport security. Why can't Delta get on the bandwagon and push for this benefit.

marc

Spiff...your comments on Mineta are unwarrented
Old Feb 28, 03, 11:50 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Which comments about Mineta are you claiming to be unwarranted?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Spiff...your comments on Mineta are unwarrented</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Search this Thread