Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Last MD-11 Flights. Anyone know what the last MD-11 will be?

Old Mar 7, 03, 12:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown

Like the retiring 727, and the L-1011 before her, I'd love to be on the MD-11s when they are fazed out in the coming months.

I know that NY Banker has discussed their safety record (they lead all aircraft in hull loses). Nonethless, I'd still like to fly them one final time and might be able to justify a "nostalgia run".

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 03-07-2003).]
Old Mar 7, 03, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Well, you probably will have to wait for over a year to take that "nostalgia" flight. I think that you realize that the schedules are not firm a year in advance.
Old Mar 7, 03, 2:28 pm

When does the phase-out begin?

From what I understand... all but three will be gone by the end of this year, and those will be replaced with the rest-facility-fitted 772ERs by next summer.

Is this still correct?

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Mar 7, 03, 7:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
My understanding was that DL would be eliminating most by summer. Hence, the question.
Old Mar 7, 03, 7:29 pm

Doesn't Delta need to keep at least a couple MD-11s for the NRT route? (unless they're considering dropping NRT)
Old Mar 7, 03, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I believe that the last MD-11 service will be on the ATL-NRT route sometime in 2004. They are waiting for 777 equipment specially designed for the pacific route (pilot rest area, etc). They need a minimum of two MD-11's for this route until the 777 is ready and I think they are keeping a third on hand as back-up. The NRT route will be the last for the MD-11 unless Delta does a special ATL-MCO (or wherever) run for some reason.
Old Mar 7, 03, 9:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Flyer:
I believe that the last MD-11 service will be on the ATL-NRT route sometime in 2004. They are waiting for 777 equipment specially designed for the pacific route (pilot rest area, etc). They need a minimum of two MD-11's for this route until the 777 is ready and I think they are keeping a third on hand as back-up. The NRT route will be the last for the MD-11 unless Delta does a special ATL-MCO (or wherever) run for some reason.</font>
Unless, per chance, they codeshare the route on NW 747s.
Old Mar 7, 03, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
well, I suppose it is possible that they will codeshare on int'l flights, but I think that's a long way off. They haven't hammered out the domestic codeshare/FF issues yet. I think I'll just have the one option to get home for now. I guess I could try flying through ICN or CDG! No thanks...)

From what I hear, the one remaining NRT flight is doing fine. I'm not too worried that they will discontinue it. I do miss that JFK-NRT flight though. *sigh*
Old Mar 9, 03, 11:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Unless, per chance, they codeshare the route on NW 747s.</font>
Not likely... ATL-NRT has been a money-maker year-round.

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old Mar 10, 03, 6:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
Not likely... ATL-NRT has been a money-maker year-round.

</font>

Source of your info? And who is to say they wouldn't make more $$ as a codeshare?
Old Mar 10, 03, 6:54 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Looks like at least one of them is being used to transport troops. I know there was a separate thread somewhere about that,but www.cnn.com showed a DL plane loading up this morning.

Update:
That picture has since been replaced. It had soldiers boarding a DL MD11 (I think) via stairs, which by the way had the AA Logo on it.

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 03-10-2003).]
Old Mar 10, 03, 2:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
Looks like at least one of them is being used to transport troops. I know there was a separate thread somewhere about that,but www.cnn.com showed a DL plane loading up this morning.

Update:
That picture has since been replaced. It had soldiers boarding a DL MD11 (I think) via stairs, which by the way had the AA Logo on it.
</font>

That picture can be seen here

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Mar 10, 03, 2:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Source of your info? And who is to say they wouldn't make more $$ as a codeshare?</font>
To be honest, I'm really just repeating what Sean said to me about the same topic

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old Mar 10, 03, 3:35 pm

delta will be using a md-11 for the flight atl- muc - atl instead of a 767-300. starting in may or so. to get more load onto this route in one plane, delta said. funny... i would have expected a 777.

[This message has been edited by hmsflytalk (edited 03-10-2003).]

Search this Thread