NAMUs, Kiosks, and Waitlists

Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
NAMUs, Kiosks, and Waitlists

I decided to burn a couple of NAMUs for a trip next week. I'm finally flying on a fare that qualifies. I have a couple of questions that I didn't find an answer to after a search. (sorry if I missed them)

I called SMS and have my outbound segments confirmed and seat assigned. On the return my first segment is currently waitlisted. My questions are:

Can I use a kiosk to check-in for my outbound flights. If I can, as there isn't a DL employee to collect the NAMU will the gate agent ask? Or, is it possible that I will be told that I have failed to properly "check-in" and surrender the NAMU in time resulting in the lost of my seat.

On my return, as the first segment is waitlisted do I have to ask to be waitlisted at the airport again when I check in? I thought that someone said that being waitlsted now isn't the same as at the airport.

Finally, if I don't clear the waitlist for the first return segment it would be better for me to change to 800s for the second return segment. Is this sill allowed if 800 mile upgrades are still available when I check in? If this isn't allowed or there are not any 800 mile upgrades available do I surrender my certificate when I check in for the first flight or hold on to it for when I check in for the second segment.

Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 9, 2003, 2:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WestCoastFlyer:

Can I use a kiosk to check-in for my outbound flights. If I can, as there isn't a DL employee to collect the NAMU will the gate agent ask? Or, is it possible that I will be told that I have failed to properly "check-in" and surrender the NAMU in time resulting in the lost of my seat.

</font>
No. You have to check in with a person b/c you have to surrender a coupon. They cannot accept the NAMU at the gate. Perhaps at CRC.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
On my return, as the first segment is waitlisted do I have to ask to be waitlisted at the airport again when I check in? I thought that someone said that being waitlsted now isn't the same as at the airport.

</font>
At every stage of the game (before you leave for the airport, and several times at the airport) - ask to make sure you're on the upgrade standby list. There is a different airport list - make sure you're on it. See my post in the linked conversation...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/009510.html

Also - sounds like you're connecting on the return. G is confirmed on the second flight, but not the first. So - you'll have to use both NAMUs, even if you're in Y for one of the return segments.

Finally, if I don't clear the waitlist for the first return segment it would be better for me to change to 800s for the second return segment. Is this sill allowed if 800 mile upgrades are still available when I check in?

</font>
Yes. This is definitely the thing to do. If V is available (vs G), take it. Call 72 hours prior to departure and try to change your outbound flight from NAMU to Segment, too. Waitlist for V if not avail.

If you didn't clear in V, ask when you first get to the airport. But if V is not avail when you get to the airport, don't ask for V waitlist at this point - b/c you have to hand in at least one NAMU at the ticket counter - which you can never get back if V clears at the gate.

NAMUs are more valuable then segments - if you can use segments over NAMUs, do it.

If this isn't allowed or there are not any 800 mile upgrades available do I surrender my certificate when I check in for the first flight or hold on to it for when I check in for the second segment.

</font>
Always hold you NAMU till you arrive at the airport. Surrender only one when you check in for your outbound. They'll prob try to pressure you to hand in both, but say you're not 100% of your return plans, may have to change, so you don't want to give up the other coupon.

Do the same thing 72 hours prior to return to try to change to V.

See more details in this post too...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/009403.html

Have a good trip!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
If your ticket requires any type of attention, such as a ticket or coupon surrender, you will be unable to check in at a kiosk. I tried once and was happily rejected by the kiosk and off to the counter.

I take it you cannot check into kiosk either for international bound itineraries either becuase of passport check by the counter agent.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:31 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoCanes:
If your ticket requires any type of attention, such as a ticket or coupon surrender, you will be unable to check in at a kiosk. I tried once and was happily rejected by the kiosk and off to the counter.

I take it you cannot check into kiosk either for international bound itineraries either because of passport check by the counter agent.
</font>
Another downfall of the kiosks is that you cannot activate your waitlist for upgrades. You have to do that with an agent. As recommended above, do it several times to make sure it is actually activated. There have been times when I thought it was and it wasn't.

If DL wants everyone to use the kiosks they should make them FULLY transactional.

[This message has been edited by Humaniod (edited 03-09-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 6:55 pm

I had the same problem trying to activate an upgrade waitlist at kiosk. The advertising while on hold to SMS makes it sound like you should be able to get on the upgrade list. Maybe IT is just behind.

marc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.