Delta/Airtran

Old Mar 5, 03, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Delta/Airtran

Surprise, surprise Airtran has just followed Delta with a massive reduction in the A Plus program.

Used to be 3 rts using American Express for 1 free coach ticket.

They are abandoning Amex and the new program requires 8 rts.

They used the same garbage spin to hail their new and improved program.

Old Mar 5, 03, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Absolutely correct I am sad to say! Though the website says nothing of the change, a call to AirTran today informed me that there will be "significant changes to the way our frequent flyers can earn free tickets." The CSR didn't have much else to say and wasn't too helpful. On the brightside....these changes don't take effect until June 30th. So anyone still needed a segment or two for the Amex deal has a little time to make a quick run on FL. Also, I'm assuming we'll be able to use the free tickets on the new routes AirTran just announced from ATL to LAS, LAX, and DEN. Timing is everything!
Old Mar 5, 03, 4:57 pm

This is very bad news indeed

Well, at least I have another year to fly on X-Fares
Old Mar 5, 03, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA MM/PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gannet:
Surprise, surprise Airtran has just followed Delta with a massive reduction in the A Plus program.

Used to be 3 rts using American Express for 1 free coach ticket.

They are abandoning Amex and the new program requires 8 rts.

They used the same garbage spin to hail their new and improved program.

</font>
I'm not surprised they couldn't sustain a deal to give away a free ticket for every 3 roundtrips. At least with AirTran you get cheap fares and can upgrade cheaply. Sounds like they are just matching what Southwest does?
Old Mar 5, 03, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wschild:
I'm not surprised they couldn't sustain a deal to give away a free ticket for every 3 roundtrips. At least with AirTran you get cheap fares and can upgrade cheaply. Sounds like they are just matching what Southwest does?</font>
As FL has grown (I used FL a fair amount when they/ValueJet still had a 'hub' at IAD) I have been very surprised that they have kept the VERY GENEROUS Amex deal that was there when I was using them years ago - I assume you still just mail in your ticket stubs. If they are matching the WN 8 r/t RR deal(however, only 4 r/t on WN with internet bookings gets you a freebie), it is still a pretty good deal to the occasional flyer (one trip every two months) who would take years to accumulate the 25,000 miles for even a basic Y award on a major.

My guess is that Uncle Joe (Leonard), who is a very saavy airline exec, feels that FL just doesn't need to hang out that much candy to steal PAX from DL anymore. DL is doing a fine job of acting as FL's best (and unpaid) marketing tool. Uncle Joe also probably knows that the siren song of Medallion to FF ATL residents is a lot less than it used to be.

BTW, for any FL folks out there - Does FL still offer that deal where for double certs they will buy you a Y ticket on a different carrier to any point in the US from IAD, ATL or MCO?
Old Mar 5, 03, 9:21 pm

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best deal around IMHO. I guess it was good while it lasted.
Old Mar 6, 03, 7:22 am
Moderator: Travel Bidding forum

Jute
You said it well. It's been better than any other deal out there.Sorry to see it go.
Old Mar 6, 03, 8:43 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Sounds like there is going to be a major shake up to the A-Plus Rewards program shortly. If you've seen the application for the new credit card, you'll notice that there's a line on the card for a "member number". Looks like the program may be moving towards the Southwest style a little more. Hopefully we won't have to mail the vouchers in soon!

------------------
Proud to be Continental-free in 2003!

Search this Thread