--Watershed moment for a PM--

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

--Watershed moment for a PM--

Just booked 2 tix on JetBlue to Oakland. It was really a watershed
moment. I cannot remember the last time I did not take FF miles into
consideration. Price was $29.00 o.w. plus tax. No Saturday night stay.
Total for two --(incl all taxes) $144.00. It was a no-brainer.
I could have flown on UA and picked up 1000 miles on DL. Not worth it.
The price would have been more than double and I would have to stay
over a saturday night. I feel so free!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Hasta la vista... baby! Every day DL flounders, people leave - with their wallets.

(reading this you lurking Delta Operatives? - ever notice that Bill, Bob, Bruce or whatever his name was (not our bruce) - the DL mole is noticeably absent now his deep cover was blown??)

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited 03-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:55 pm
GG

obscure - at that price, why not? It's not like Oakland is a long flight.

Change can be liberating, but it's also scarey. (Don't hit me for the pop psych, please! I was surprised at how nervous I was taking that first NW flight. Guess it's old age setting in.) But that's why I'm really not mad at Delta - a little lingering bitterness, maybe - but they woke me up, made me look at things anew, and we're much happier now for that.

Congratulations.

------------------
email on profile
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

GG., would never invoke "pop psyche" with you. It was, indeed, liberating to toss all FF considerations. Yet, it was wierd. FF considerations have played a role in my travel plans since their introductions, in the early 80's.
Have I finally cut the DL Umbilicus?

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'm going to try B6 to OAK next month. I've almost broken down to try them to JFK, but resisted, so it has been DL and AA. I am really looking forward to flying them.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Unfortunately, I'm still not "there" yet. Flew ONT to SEA....via SLC.... today on DL. Turned what would have been a 2 1/2 hour flight on WN to a 6 hour trip on DL. There is hope, however....I have a RT booked to Dallas in June via WN. Would have been via DL in the "old" days but with the RJ infusion, it's Southwest to Dallas in the future.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

--Cholula--definitely time to cut the chord. There was a time when I would have considered making the bay area trip a 6 hour one, via SLC. When DL fled the bay area, I moved to UA for miles and lounge access (because of Pm status). Now, I think that is just plain crazy. I can fly JetBlue for about 1/3 of the price and, as it is a non-stop, under one hour, I can valet-park my car at curbside in Long Beach and not have to spring for a Saturday night hotel stay. Saves me a whole lot of money. Now, if Dl still retained an incentive to retain PM status, I might, well, consider more inconvenient and more expensive options.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:14 am

Here's another PM (2 years running) that cut the cord today. Needed to book a one-way from Denver to Albany NY and booked it on UA ($366 vs $854). No way I could justify the almost $500 difference to my company.

Went ahead and booked my Easter travel also on UA ($499.50 vs over $1100 on Delta.)

Also in the process of getting comped on UA.

Bye-bye Delta, see you while I burn miles.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:20 am

Remember folks, cutting the chord does not mean exchanging your loyalties to DL for another airline because they will comp status for you. That is just miring you down into another airlines program and you certainly haven't cut the chord if your travel plans are influenced by your mileage affiliations.

Obscure 2k - congratulations!!! It must feel nice to know that you can take your valuable business anywhere if they start treating you in ways different than you would like. Jet Blue is really a nice airline. Check out Air Tran sometime. They are pretty nice as well and are starting service to LAX soon.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
Unfortunately, I'm still not "there" yet. Flew ONT to SEA....via SLC.... today on DL. Turned what would have been a 2 1/2 hour flight on WN to a 6 hour trip on DL. There is hope, however....I have a RT booked to Dallas in June via WN. Would have been via DL in the "old" days but with the RJ infusion, it's Southwest to Dallas in the future.</font>

Yea, and have fun making a connection or two in Houston,ABQ, LAS, or PHX and then getting stuck with the middle seat because you got the last batch of boarding cards.

Nothing like flying on good ole' cattle call airlines!
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:45 am

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DallaStarwooDelta:

Yea, and have fun making a connection or two in Houston,ABQ, LAS, or PHX and then getting stuck with the middle seat because you got the last batch of boarding cards.

Nothing like flying on good ole' cattle call airlines!
</font>
I am sure I'm not alone in saying this: For a 1,000+ mile trip, I would rather be in a typical middle seat on a 737 than on any seat, in any row, on a regional jet.

And that doesn't take into account the couple extra hours of your life I get back from not having to connect, or (oh, yeah!) the few hundred dollars I save.

If you still want to patronize Delta under those circumstances, fine by me. Would you mind turning the lights out when you leave the plane?

Mook
Old Mar 4, 2003, 2:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mook:
I am sure I'm not alone in saying this: For a 1,000+ mile trip, I would rather be in a typical middle seat on a 737 than on any seat, in any row, on a regional jet.

And that doesn't take into account the couple extra hours of your life I get back from not having to connect, or (oh, yeah!) the few hundred dollars I save.

If you still want to patronize Delta under those circumstances, fine by me. Would you mind turning the lights out when you leave the plane?

Mook
</font>
Sure, Just remember to get those 3 boarding cards.... Since you will never get form the West Coast to Dallas non-stop or without connections on WN. You'll probably see 3 connections at best. So yes I will take my ailse seat on that 1,000 mile NON-stop trip on a jungle jet long before I'll get on board like a herd of cattle.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 3:29 pm

You can get from many, if not most, of the west coast cities that WN flies to Dallas with two or less stops. examples:

LAX-HOU-DAL
LAX-SAT-DAL
LAX-AUS-DAL
LAX-ELP-DAL
LAX-OKC-DAL
OAK-LAS-HOU-DAL
SJC-LAS-HOU-DAL
SEA-LAS-ELP-DAL
SEA-PHX-AUS-DAL
PDX-PHX-SAT-DAL
SMF-LAS-AUS-DAL
RNO-LAS-HOU-DAL
GEG-SLC-HOU-DAL
SAN-ELP-DAL
SAN-ABQ-DAL
SEA-ABQ-DAL
OAK-ABQ-DAL
ONT-LAS-HOU-DAL
BUR-PHX-ABQ-DAL

and on, and on.......
Old Mar 4, 2003, 4:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
You can get from many, if not most, of the west coast cities that WN flies to Dallas with two or less stops. examples:

LAX-HOU-DAL
LAX-SAT-DAL
LAX-AUS-DAL
LAX-ELP-DAL
LAX-OKC-DAL
OAK-LAS-HOU-DAL
SJC-LAS-HOU-DAL
SEA-LAS-ELP-DAL
SEA-PHX-AUS-DAL
PDX-PHX-SAT-DAL
SMF-LAS-AUS-DAL
RNO-LAS-HOU-DAL
GEG-SLC-HOU-DAL
SAN-ELP-DAL
SAN-ABQ-DAL
SEA-ABQ-DAL
OAK-ABQ-DAL
ONT-LAS-HOU-DAL
BUR-PHX-ABQ-DAL

and on, and on.......
</font>
And your point is that this is better than a non-stop or 1 stop on Delta????

Oh, and good luck checking bags through to DAL....not going to happen. Reclaim and check again....

My point is that WN to Dallas is one of the worst comparisons you can use to complain about the DL changes.

Old Mar 4, 2003, 5:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DallaStarwooDelta:
And your point is that this is better than a non-stop or 1 stop on Delta????

Oh, and good luck checking bags through to DAL....not going to happen. Reclaim and check again....

My point is that WN to Dallas is one of the worst comparisons you can use to complain about the DL changes.

</font>
Well, the time you save using DAL instead of having to go out to DFW is less time than DFW-SLC-LAX, probably about the same as DFW-LAX non-stop, and considerably cheaper if there's no Sat. night stay. DL is showing $1300 using March 24 and 27 travel dates for DFW-LAX. They won't be charging that for long - too tempting for a discounter (B6?) to come into that market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.