FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   airTran goes to LAX and LAS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57650-airtran-goes-lax-las.html)

MAH4546 Mar 3, 2003 9:51 pm

airTran goes to LAX and LAS

Look's like Delta's LAX yields are going to fall even more:

http://www.airtran.com/aboutus/news/la_lv.jsp

jeffreyt Mar 3, 2003 9:56 pm

This also looks like it will put pressure on b6 who will start flying LGB-ATL.

IndustrialPatent Mar 3, 2003 11:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The service to Los Angeles and Las Vegas will be operated initially by AirTran Airways' marketing partner, Ryan International Airlines, using Airbus A-320 aircraft with 12 Business Class and 150 coach seats.</font>
AirTran has disputed Airbus’s statements that they’re shopping for A319/A320, insisting instead that their B717 (with supplemental fuel tanks) have the range to make it to the West Coast; this seems to prove otherwise. But of course service could be either a trial or temporary until more B717s formerly operated by TW/AA are delivered.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 03-03-2003).]

Marq Mar 4, 2003 4:44 pm

Is Ryan a domestic carrier? If not, how can they operate a domestic US route.

marc

ATLpax Mar 4, 2003 4:47 pm

Some more info:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...16.html?f=et50

CelticFlyer Mar 4, 2003 5:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Is Ryan a domestic carrier? If not, how can they operate a domestic US route.

marc
</font>
This is Ryan International - not RyanAir the European LCC.

Ryan International operate in many locations but are officed in Kansas. They carry out a range of contract work for the likes of USPS and Emery and holiday charter work for the likes of SunTrip. A few years ago they ran a CVG-BRU trip for P&G around the time the Sabena/DL flight was about to be pulled. I seem to recall that the CVG-BRU flight was an Airbus that had to stopover in Iceland making it less than popular with the PAX.

Marq Mar 4, 2003 5:13 pm

thanks,

marc

MUC Flyer Mar 4, 2003 5:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
AirTran has disputed Airbus’s statements that they’re shopping for A319/A320, insisting instead that their B717 (with supplemental fuel tanks) have the range to make it to the West Coast; this seems to prove otherwise. But of course service could be either a trial or temporary until more B717s formerly operated by TW/AA are delivered.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 03-03-2003).]
</font>
according to Airtran'w own web site, they will be using A 320. But according to Boeing's web site, the 717's High Gross Weight (using RR BR715-C1-30 engines) model has a range of 2060 nautical miles, and LAX ATL is 1677 nautical. So why diversify the fleet to another manufacturer?

keeton Mar 4, 2003 8:00 pm

None of the press releases or Airtran's website made mention of any different level of service that would be offered on these long haul flights.

Four hours is a long time with no catering or entertainment for those who didn't think to bring their own. Has anyone heard if they will be doing anything different for these flights?

IndustrialPatent Mar 4, 2003 9:07 pm

MUC Flyer,

AirTran is accepting delivery of the 20+ TW/AA B717s this year. I don't believe lack of equipment is the reason they outsourced this route's operations to Ryan Air. Perhaps it's a trial? There may be other economics that prevent the B717 from flying ATL-LAS/LAX with a large degree of profitability and AirTran's testing the economics/consumer response to the A320 family.

IndustrialPatent Mar 4, 2003 9:12 pm

keeton,

I don't believe IFE is an issue -- NW doesn't offer domestic IFE and AA flies quite a few MD-82/83 flights 4+ hours in duration w/o IFE; these are just two examples.

Maybe the A320 will have IFE? Maybe FL will follow WN's model and offer multiple servings of packaged snacks, or TZ's model of hot snacks? Maybe FL will sell food onboard?

Even without food or entertainment, FL is offering ATL-LAX/LAS for $99 each way -- well below DL's fare. I'm sure families will consider paying $20-$50 for food/entertainment at the airport as opposed to paying DL $1000+ (what they'll save) for it.

JSeiple Mar 4, 2003 9:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MUC Flyer:
according to Airtran'w own web site, they will be using A 320. But according to Boeing's web site, the 717's High Gross Weight (using RR BR715-C1-30 engines) model has a range of 2060 nautical miles, and LAX ATL is 1677 nautical. So why diversify the fleet to another manufacturer?

</font>
That very well may be the range of the B717 however there are other considerations. Compute a reserver, add in a full load, and stick even some marginal headwinds in there throughout the transcon and suddenly AirTran is looking for a fueling stop.

JSeiple Mar 4, 2003 9:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
keeton,

I don't believe IFE is an issue -- NW doesn't offer domestic IFE and AA flies quite a few MD-82/83 flights 4+ hours in duration w/o IFE; these are just two examples.

Maybe the A320 will have IFE? Maybe FL will follow WN's model and offer multiple servings of packaged snacks, or TZ's model of hot snacks? Maybe FL will sell food onboard?

Even without food or entertainment, FL is offering ATL-LAX/LAS for $99 each way -- well below DL's fare. I'm sure families will consider paying $20-$50 for food/entertainment at the airport as opposed to paying DL $1000+ (what they'll save) for it.
</font>
I have an acquaintance who is a flight attendant for Ryan Intl at their Detroit base. Their Airbus aircraft have the drop-down LCD screens every few rows.

I suspect they will model after Southwest as far as inflight service goes. I hope so... I wouldn't want to be stuck in a plane full of Concourse C Popeyes chicken.

IndustrialPatent Mar 4, 2003 9:26 pm

Delta has matched FL's fares -- ATL-LAX from $99 each way via September.

RobertS975 Mar 5, 2003 1:42 am

Has Air Tran announced connecting fares yet? Like BOS-ATL-LAX etc. That will really make this summer interesting!