Online Check-In Refused

Old Mar 4, 03, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Online Check-In Refused

A relative of mine tried to check in this morning online for a flight, BDL to ATL, and got a message that online check-in was not being permitted for "security reasons." A red coat at the airport told her that if she couldn't check in on-line, the kiosk wouldn't work, either. So she went to the ticket agent, checked in and (coincidentally?) got flagged for a security check.

Anybody seen anything like that before?
Old Mar 4, 03, 1:09 pm
In Memoriam

Yes, online checkin has not been allowed in Seattle since January. I mentioned this in another thread, but others seemed to be able to check in at "their" airport, so I didn't have much credibility it appeared. In my case I actually did check in online but was turned away at security and had to go to the Medallion counter for another boarding pass. They told me then that they were trying to change the website and were quite apologetic.
Old Mar 4, 03, 1:37 pm

I used on-line check in yesterday at RDU.
Old Mar 4, 03, 3:28 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jafrogg:
A relative of mine tried to check in this morning online for a flight, BDL to ATL, and got a message that online check-in was not being permitted for "security reasons." A red coat at the airport told her that if she couldn't check in on-line, the kiosk wouldn't work, either. So she went to the ticket agent, checked in and (coincidentally?) got flagged for a security check.

Anybody seen anything like that before?
</font>
This happens all the time, your relative was one of the lucky ones that "Big Brother" wanted to ask more questions of. It really isn't any big deal. I have had it happen twice in the last year. In the days of gate searches, it was a guaranteed search.
Old Mar 4, 03, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
The security tag (usually "SELPAX") didnt stop online checkin for me in the past. Not sure why that happened for you.

The security tag might have also changed...check each boarding card and look for something that is on one card and not the other...that is the clue, so at least you know what's coming when you get to security.

They might have changed the system to stop online checkin for security tagged pax because they caught on to those of us who discovered an easy way out of the old gate searches was had with some liquid paper and a photocopy machine
Old Mar 4, 03, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bocastephen:
The security tag (usually "SELPAX") didnt stop online checkin for me in the past. Not sure why that happened for you.

The security tag might have also changed...check each boarding card and look for something that is on one card and not the other...that is the clue, so at least you know what's coming when you get to security.

They might have changed the system to stop online checkin for security tagged pax because they caught on to those of us who discovered an easy way out of the old gate searches was had with some liquid paper and a photocopy machine
</font>
Soon altering a printout will be considered criminal intent to commit homicide with a vehicle of mass transportation (aka terrorism).

"Land of the free." Let's see how long that phrase actually means something in this century.

Search this Thread