Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles to Expire in 2 Years Beginning January 2007

SkyMiles to Expire in 2 Years Beginning January 2007

Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
You forgot to add the part where it says subject to change...
None of the ads or flyers said subject to change....
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ncvet61
Oh noooooo it doesn't...... see the latest Upgrade on Delta's Website. If you had no activity in 2005 and 2006, (2 yrs) your miles expire December 31 2006... THIS YEAR. So presumably the two year rule back dates. SURPRISE!

Mileage Expiration
Effective December 31, 2006, miles will expire after two years without any account activity (e.g. earning or redeeming). Currently, any mileage activity within a three-year period prevents miles from expiring. We’re making this change to reduce the mileage liability for members who are no longer active and to reduce overall program administrative costs.

Mileage balances of members who have had no SkyMiles activity within the last two calendar years (2005 and 2006) will expire on December 31, 2006.
If you're one of these people and visit the Delta website today, it will read:
SkyMiles Mileage Expiration 31 Dec 2007

What you're saying is that they will change the rule on the last day of the year, and the website will suddenly read "31 Dec 2006" (assuming the website is up-to-date). That has to be a mistake in the announcement??!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikey1003
None of the ads or flyers said subject to change....
Yes they did.

Delta reserves the right to change its frequent flyer program terms and conditions at any time, without notice.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I believe this will catch a LARGE amount of people. You know the folks that travel once every year or so, or maybe even were very heavy fliers, but do not fly anymore, and do not have a DL credit card. Think of your family members, or the guy down the hall at work that once traveled, but now does not.

I can imagine a staggering amount of miles hitting the dust. Not everyone is crazy enought to know the rules, ever heard of Idine or has credit cards for each FF account they have.
I agree. I think a number of those posting either don't have elderly parents who may have flown a lot in years past or parents of children under five who might have the potentail to be some of an airlines best flyers in years to come. My mother is a prime example of the former. She is eighty years old and crushed every bone in her ankle after falling two weeks ago. She is also the primary caretaker of my father who is an invalid. She has over 200K miles, but I can tell you the last thing on her mind will be keeping her SkyMiles account current for the next several years. She has been using her DL Amex card for all purchases for the last several years dreaming that she would one day be able to take a special trip with one of her children. She didn't renew the card this year because she realized she doesn't need to accrue more miles. However, she would like to keep the ones she has. A good number of her miles came from DL flights over the past five years. If miles were easier to cash in, DL's latest enhancement would be one thing. I am generally one who has good luck cashing in miles because I can be flexible and only use miles for leisure travel. But even given three years, I'm not sure I am flexible enough to use that many miles. If DL is going to make decisions like this, and I'm not saying they shouldn't, I think they need to offer greater award availability and put a temporary hold on selling billions of miles to other companies to use for promotional purposes. This sounds like SGB to me, and we all no how well that philosophy served DL.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it's a mistake in the announcement, but it's listed that way at least twice on the website:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ates/index.jsp
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...jsp#expiration

While Delta may have the right to do so, it seems problematic to tell members one expiration date on their Skymiles account page and then change it retroactively on December 31, 2006. A better thing to do would be to keep all the expiration dates as they are now and from this point forward apply the change. (Example: My expiration date is showing 12/31/09 right now. Assuming no future activity, changing it on 12/31/06 to show an expiration date of 12/31/08 seems sort of questionable.)

While I agree that most FTers won't be affected by the change, it does mean I need to keep an eye on some less frequent flyer family members' accounts a little more carefully to avoid expiration. The change is also potentially problematic if this is a sign of an ever-shrinking mile validity period or perhaps even the implementation of an expiration policy for each mile (so that the whole account doesn't get extended with activity). That would be a change that most FTers would be quite upset about, I think.

Originally Posted by rrgg
What you're saying is that they will change the rule on the last day of the year, and the website will suddenly read "31 Dec 2006" (assuming the website is up-to-date). That has to be a mistake in the announcement??!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:12 pm

I believe the "retroactively" description would only be apt were it to be applied AFTER December 31, 2006. Or is there something about the English language I am missing?

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Maybe it's a mistake in the announcement, but it's listed that way at least twice on the website:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ates/index.jsp
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...jsp#expiration

While Delta may have the right to do so, it seems problematic to tell members one expiration date on their Skymiles account page and then change it retroactively on December 31, 2006. A better thing to do would be to keep all the expiration dates as they are now and from this point forward apply the change. (Example: My expiration date is showing 12/31/09 right now. Assuming no future activity, changing it on 12/31/06 to show an expiration date of 12/31/08 seems sort of questionable.)

While I agree that most FTers won't be affected by the change, it does mean I need to keep an eye on some less frequent flyer family members' accounts a little more carefully to avoid expiration. The change is also potentially problematic if this is a sign of an ever-shrinking mile validity period or perhaps even the implementation of an expiration policy for each mile (so that the whole account doesn't get extended with activity). That would be a change that most FTers would be quite upset about, I think.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's say the most recent activity in a Delta Skymiles account is sometime in 2004. As soon as that activity posted to the account, the expiration date in the account was shown as "December 31, 2007." That expiration date would still shown in the account now. But then, instead of expiration on December 31, 2007, the miles would, according to these Delta pages, expire a year earlier than was listed in the account.

That's what I mean by retroactively--it's retroactive in the sense that it would seem that the policy changes existing listed expiration dates.

Originally Posted by upgrader
I believe the "retroactively" description would only be apt were it to be applied AFTER December 31, 2006. Or is there something about the English language I am missing?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:10 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Let's say the most recent activity in a Delta Skymiles account is sometime in 2004. As soon as that activity posted to the account, the expiration date in the account was shown as "December 31, 2007." That expiration date would still shown in the account now. But then, instead of expiration on December 31, 2007, the miles would, according to these Delta pages, expire a year earlier than was listed in the account.

That's what I mean by retroactively--it's retroactive in the sense that it would seem that the policy changes existing listed expiration dates.
IOW, people who have not participated in qualifying activity in the last 2 years are not being "grandfathered" into the new, shorter, qualifying period. I was with them until this point, and hope that they will reconsider this change. While they have every right to do so, I think it would only be fair to allow those people who have Dec 31 2007 expiration dates to "keep" them, if you will.

Last edited by TTT; Jul 7, 2006 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I just don't get it. People can't:
- Buy/donate a magazine subscription
- Buy flowers for an SO (or even themselves!)
- Rent a car
- Stay at a hotel
- Get a SkyMiles credit card from American Express
- Buy stuff from the Delta SkyMiles Marketplace
- Eat dinner out
- Buy some SkyMiles as a gift
- Or, goodness forbid, GET ON AN AIRPLANE and GO someplace
just ONCE every two years, and they're upset about their SkyMiles possibly expiring?

With no disrespect to some of the situations described, here are some simple solutions:
Elderly parents who suddenly can't use their SkyMiles for a while: Take them to dinner and give the restaurant their SkyMiles number. Order some flowers for them and give them their SkyMiles number. BUY them some SkyMiles as a gift and give them to them. You only have to do this once every two years. Goodness, when my parents were alive I took them out to dinner more often than once every two years!
Parents who can't travel because of children: Get a babysitter and go out once every two years. Buy SkyMiles and gift them to each other (assuming both parents here). Buy mom flowers. Buy dad flowers. Buy flowers for the nice people at the pediatricians office! Donate a magazine subscription to a local charity.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Another poster mentioned that CO and NW can close your account after inactivity of 18 months or so.

US miles also will now expire after 3 years of inactivity, as a result of their merger with the HP program.
My Continental account has had 1000 miles for over 8 years with no activity. I've written them several times to close the account but it's still active and accessible on the web. So even with the 18 months possibility, they just keep it going.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I just don't get it. People can't:
- Buy/donate a magazine subscription
- Buy flowers for an SO (or even themselves!)
- Rent a car
- Stay at a hotel
- Get a SkyMiles credit card from American Express
- Buy stuff from the Delta SkyMiles Marketplace
- Eat dinner out
- Buy some SkyMiles as a gift
- Or, goodness forbid, GET ON AN AIRPLANE and GO someplace
just ONCE every two years, and they're upset about their SkyMiles possibly expiring?

With no disrespect to some of the situations described, here are some simple solutions:
Elderly parents who suddenly can't use their SkyMiles for a while: Take them to dinner and give the restaurant their SkyMiles number. Order some flowers for them and give them their SkyMiles number. BUY them some SkyMiles as a gift and give them to them. You only have to do this once every two years. Goodness, when my parents were alive I took them out to dinner more often than once every two years!
Parents who can't travel because of children: Get a babysitter and go out once every two years. Buy SkyMiles and gift them to each other (assuming both parents here). Buy mom flowers. Buy dad flowers. Buy flowers for the nice people at the pediatricians office! Donate a magazine subscription to a local charity.

Yes, but you have offered no alternative to the people who are just plain lazy and want to whine and do nothing. Maybe there should be a bonus of an extra year of mileage maintenance to those who whine enough about it. After all Delta would be minus quite a few non rev infrequent customers if they do not change their plans.

Of course if the rumoured merger of nwa/DL ever occurs maybe DL would outsource its skymiles desk to KLM. They could just adopt the infamous KLM quote of "its not possible!" when faced with sucha dilema.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't mind the changing to a two year expiration policy (I worry about the "slippery slope" effect, but, hey, drastic changes can happen all on their own, too). What does bother me is accelerating the expiration of accounts for which Delta has already informed the member of a specific expiration date. This won't effect me because I doubt I'll go two years without SkyTeam travel, but it is potentially misleading to some subset of customers.

This evening, for example, I received my latest SkyMiles statement via e-mail. It says expiration "12/31/2009". I think that that is reason enough for a customer to expect that no future action is needed on the part of the member before 12/31/09. Under the new policy, these miles actually expire on 12/31/08.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Yes, but you have offered no alternative to the people who are just plain lazy and want to whine and do nothing. Maybe there should be a bonus of an extra year of mileage maintenance to those who whine enough about it. After all Delta would be minus quite a few non rev infrequent customers if they do not change their plans.

Of course if the rumoured merger of nwa/DL ever occurs maybe DL would outsource its skymiles desk to KLM. They could just adopt the infamous KLM quote of "its not possible!" when faced with sucha dilema.
I don't think anyone is saying that the negative impact of an expiration policy is insurrmountable -- but it is, undeniably, going to inconvenience a lot of people who have gotten accustomed to not worrying about such things, especially the elderly who aren't as agile (in every sense) as they used to be. Does DL have the right to change its policy? Clearly. Do people have a right to complain? Clearly.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
jimrpa, you know better:

"Delta Air Lines Member Update"
"Breaking News for Delta Frequent Flyers"

Announcing SKYMILES
our new program for you
Effective May 1, 1995

SKYMILES. More flexibility. More Options.
Delta Air Lines is committed to providing a valuable frequent flyer program for you--one that also makes good business sense for Delta. To achieve this goal, we asked a number of our best customers to participate in redesining our program. And together we developed a program that works for all of us. Effective May 1, 1995, we are proud to introduce your new frequent flyer program, SKYMILES.

---
Then, in a text box containing five key points, the second of which is...

Miles earned prior to May 1, 1995 never expire!

As long as Delta has a frequent flyer program, miles earned prior to May 1, 1995 will never expire. Miles earned on or after May 1, 1995 don't expire either, as long as you take a qualifying flight at least once every 36 months. We want you to keep the miles you've earned. It's that simple.

On the last page...
Questions and Answers about SKYMILES

third question...
Q: What is going to happen to the miles I earn prior to May 1, 1995?
A: Nothing. Miles you have earned prior to May 1, 1995 are yours to keep and redeem according to the rules and conditions of the current program. These miles will NEVER expire for as long as Delta has a frequent flyer program. Remember, you have the option of using those miles to redeem an award under the new SKYMILES program, simply by taking a qualifying flight.

On the back of the flyer...
copyright 1994 Delta Air Lines, Inc. Printed in the U.S.A. 4/94

Delta has the perfect opportunity to change the rules regarding the old frequent flier miles while it is in bankruptcy. Their legal team probably suggested that this was the opportunity to clean up the tracking mess of the old system. Besides, I cannot imagine that the marketing department was too keen on having the old redemption table still in play after all these years.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CountinPlaces
Delta has the perfect opportunity to change the rules regarding the old frequent flier miles while it is in bankruptcy. Their legal team probably suggested that this was the opportunity to clean up the tracking mess of the old system. Besides, I cannot imagine that the marketing department was too keen on having the old redemption table still in play after all these years.
When I spoke to Jeff Robertson's office, I was told millions and millions of miles...But when pressed, they admitted that many were orphan miles. I asked how many "continuous Medallion Members" held "significant "Old Miles" and was told that it is really a negligible number.

They feel that the cost of training customer service agent overweighs the negative impact.

I suggested that one phone number and a limited number of CSAs could easily handle the issue.....Like the special issues HHonors Diamond Desk..... It could also be handled by email only.

I have 640K Old Miles...Ya think Im upset??

I have burned almost 3MM, keeping the Old Miles for Old Awards when needed....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.