FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Conversation with in-flight supervisor re Skymiles "enhancements" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57626-conversation-flight-supervisor-re-skymiles-enhancements.html)

OldRoyal Mar 1, 2003 5:50 am

Conversation with in-flight supervisor re Skymiles "enhancements"

Flying ATL-CVG on Thursday, the flight was being worked by an in-flight supervisor (you can always pick them out as they work in street clothes). I made a point to tell her about my issues with the latest round of program changes. She told me they are considering tweaking or rolling back some of the changes (she didn't say what -- I get the impression she didn't really know).

The thing that was a bit disappointing to me: she said that when she flew last month, she had a number of PAXs tell her how frustrated they were with the changes; this month, I was the only one. Let's keep the pressure on folks!!!

------------------
"On Va. Ave., loyalty is a one-way street."
--Me

bdschobel Mar 1, 2003 6:38 am

Delta's customers fall into four categories with rspect to this issue:

1. Don't know about the changes, don't care or don't understand their significance (by far the largest group).
2. Know about them, care about them and already moved on to other airlines, so aren't around to complain.
3. Know about them, care about them but don't complain (or gave up complaining) because it doesn't seem to do any good.
4. Know about them, care about them and are still complaining, hoping that Delta will see the light and back-pedal to some extent.

We are in the fourth group, obviously.

Bruce

OldRoyal Mar 1, 2003 6:56 am

Group 4a. Know, care and hope ... but ready to move to Group 2 in 2004 if nothing changes.

------------------
"On Va. Ave., loyalty is a one-way street."
--Me

heckler Mar 1, 2003 7:33 am

Hopefully, the reason the flight supervisor is hearing from less annoyed customers is because they are taking their business away from DL and going to other carriers who value their business and don't destroy their airlines - like Leo Mullin and Company have done in the last year to DL.

Steve G

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited 03-01-2003).]

jabez Mar 1, 2003 8:51 am

There is another group.
Those who like the changes.
Per Delta,that number should off-set those that don't like the "enhancements".

bdschobel Mar 1, 2003 9:10 am

This group must be quite small -- or they just don't understand what's happening. Who cares about reaching PM if all the benefits are gone?

Bruce

Marq Mar 1, 2003 10:59 am

I still think the ones that are better off are the FO (and to some extent GM) that could never upgrade before because of availability, not lack of MSU. I think PMs that fly short domestic routes are the ones that are getting screwed.

marc

RobertS975 Mar 1, 2003 11:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
I still think the ones that are better off are the FO (and to some extent GM) that could never upgrade before because of availability, not lack of MSU. I think PMs that fly short domestic routes are the ones that are getting screwed.

marc
</font>
Everyone is getting screwed! Let none of us get caught up in medallion class warfare over this. Some classes may be screwed more than others, but my initial statement stands true!

GoCanes Mar 1, 2003 11:16 am

Was in SEA-TAC paying for a ticket and was asking about segment upgrades and companions in May when that part of the change takes place. The TA was explaining it and then said I wouldn't worry, I am not so sure we are even keeping these around... so don't hold your breath for them... it seems there is some talk within DL that changes to the changes are in the works... hopefully restoring GM and PM benefits.

Marq Mar 1, 2003 11:24 am

Robert:

It is class warfare...there are only so many seats up front. Even out of MCO, I am seeing a long waiting list for upgrades even with 50 seats up front. In 2001, all the double base miles promotions (and others) allowed too many people to make medallion for 2002. I feel sorry for FOs and GMs flying into and out of DC. Unless they are on a Y or B6 fare, they will never get upgraded. When I used to fly out of COS, there was never a problem with FOs getting upgraded. Will be interesting to see when I'm there later this month if that is still the case.

Delta had to do something...either fewer medallions or fewer medallion upgrades. I am selfish...I would rather be upgraded at the expense of someone else.

marc

gilpin Mar 1, 2003 11:30 am

Personally I think DL may be downgrading Medallion benefits because they anticipate the elimination of domestic first class service. MSU's and PMU's won't have any domestic value at that point, so they may feel that spending very much to retain pax who are loyal customers because of them isn't worthwhile. Just a hypothesis, but the ability to earn miles rather than MSU's would ease the transition.

[This message has been edited by gilpin (edited 03-01-2003).]

mikey1003 Mar 1, 2003 12:50 pm

We heed to push our eforts with hand out cards, buttons, billboards, letters to Dl, talking to your seat mate, talking in CRCs,...you name it, we have to keep our cause on top of DLs radar

RobertS975 Mar 1, 2003 3:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Robert:

It is class warfare...there are only so many seats up front. Even out of MCO, I am seeing a long waiting list for upgrades even with 50 seats up front. In 2001, all the double base miles promotions (and others) allowed too many people to make medallion for 2002. I feel sorry for FOs and GMs flying into and out of DC. Unless they are on a Y or B6 fare, they will never get upgraded. When I used to fly out of COS, there was never a problem with FOs getting upgraded. Will be interesting to see when I'm there later this month if that is still the case.

Delta had to do something...either fewer medallions or fewer medallion upgrades. I am selfish...I would rather be upgraded at the expense of someone else.

marc
</font>

Most flights I have been on have offered FC seats for sale at the gate, and most have left with empty FC seats. So your belief in class warfare theory is all wet, I'm afraid. If there were too many medallions fighting for these FC seats as you maintain, then why are they available to anyone with $40 or $80 at the gate?

Besides, Marq, under the new program, YOU will not be upgraded either... unless you pay a higher fare in the first place and then pay for about 80% of the MSUs that you will need above and beyond what you "earn".

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 03-01-2003).]

Marq Mar 1, 2003 6:35 pm

I agree, no more upgrading for me. Max of 20%, even for PM. MCO/ATL/DCA would be 3 MSU each way. The only people that will be able to upgrade every flight are those that pay for Y and get A. This is the main part of the new rules that upsets me. Really no reason to try to make PM over GM anymore.

marc

Donna D Mar 1, 2003 6:35 pm

marc
</font>

I beg to differ, I am FO and the new 'improved' program is of absolutely no benefit to me