Million Miler status (MM) is useless

Old Mar 3, 03, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AA EXP; AS 75K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Million Miler status (MM) is useless

I am a DL PM and MM and am glad I found this web site to vent my frustration of DL. Is anybody at DL reading this? I think Leo should read ALL postings. I've seen enough postings complaining about medallion benefits beeing continuously cut that I will not add mine today (though you can count me in).
I would like to know what other MM think of the MM program? I reached MM 2 years ago and before I reached it, I read that MM were getting system wide upgrades every year. Did I dream this ? or did that get cut?

My take on the MM status is that it brings me Zero, nothing, nada, rien! Unless... unless I stop flying delta regularly. Then I guess I will have SM status forever... But the only benefit of SM nowadays is just a tiny 25% bonus miles. So, DL, why are you trying to encourage me to not fly anymore? Why doesn't delta instead start you with 25k MQM and help you on the way to GM or PM? That would be a welcome change that would recognize that I have fought my employer to keep flying Delta rather than flying UA. I often wonder why I keep doing it!
DL got me because they `bought' me from Pan Am. Now perhaps some other airline will `buy' me from DL by giving me comparable status if I transfer to them. UA, if you're listening, I'm ready!

So any other MM want to write to DL en masse and let them know we want more than a leather pouch once in a lifetime?

Michel
Old Mar 3, 03, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
The one good thing that has happend with the advent of all the changes Delta has made to the Skymiles program is an enhancement for those who have obtained MM status with Delta.

Since you have 2MM+, you now are Gold Medalion every year (at least until they change this in the future)...

I'm a 3MM. Unfortunately, since Delta has decided to eliminate the ability to upgrade in advance and the elimination of North America upgrades, I've changed my flying this year to United, since I'm Platinium anyway this year and Gold for the rest of the Skymiles program...

I've been a MM for more than 10 years - the only thing you used to get for that was one "gift" when you hit your milestone (i.e 1M, 2M, 3M, etc.) The gifts for me have been a leather notebook cover, a very nice swiss army knife and most reciently a nice leather Tumi carry-on bag.

I think they may have given me some "one time" upgrade coupons on hitting the milestone, but not yearly. If however, I ever make 4MM (would have taken me about 7 years, but now probably never), then I'd be Platinum forever - including getting the 6 PMU's per year.

I doubt that would even be there in 7 years, which is another reason for me to not give more of my business to Delta.

So, I agree with you somewhat, but Gold status is nothing to sneeze at - you get double miles and you don't even have to fly Delta that much!

Billy
Old Mar 3, 03, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Actually, the stationery is useful!!! Use it to write your dissatisfaction to Delta brass!! That's what I did
Old Mar 3, 03, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I remember SWUs-the loss of which has now depleted all my miles--but they were not tied in any way to becoming a MMer (at least 1MM).
Old Mar 3, 03, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
At least MM status means you'll never have to wait on a real long check-in line and have pre-boarding privileges... except on RJs, the Shuttle and presumably Song.
Old Mar 3, 03, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
I made MM about 6 years ago but have reduced my travel on Delta since then. The reduction in mileage accumulation rates to qualify for 2 MM makes that quest doubtful. The loss of long term Crown Room privledges also took some of the shine off the achirvement. I also am a Flying Colonel, for what that is worth.
Old Mar 3, 03, 4:15 pm

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
Actually, the stationery is useful!!! Use it to write your dissatisfaction to Delta brass!! That's what I did </font>
I never got mine...whine, whine, whine!!

Old Mar 3, 03, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf:
I read that MM were getting system wide upgrades every year. Did I dream this ? or did that get cut?
</font>
Wrong airline, it is AA that does this, not DL. You did read it, but not about DL -- it was never a benefit for DL. The problem with MM status is that it became too common, and this became quite obvious as the program progressed (I remember when it was special, though not with official benefits).

Old Mar 3, 03, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Delta3MM:

Since you have 2MM+, you now are Gold Medalion every year...

Billy
</font>
Beware: the new verbage reads "complimentary ANNUAL GM status," which, knowing the weasels at Delta, likely means something very different than LIFETIME status.

------------------
"On Va. Ave., loyalty is a one-way street."
--Me
Old Mar 3, 03, 8:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OldRoyal:
Beware: the new verbage reads "complimentary ANNUAL GM status," which, knowing the weasels at Delta, likely means something very different than LIFETIME status. </font>
It means that if you hit 1MM miles, you will have complementary Silver Medallion status annually, until you reach 2MM, at which time you would get complementary GM status annually, until you reach 4MM and you get PM. So, they don't say Lifetime, because you can actually go higher than Silver or Gold before the end of the Lifetime of the program.
Old Mar 3, 03, 8:18 pm

So why does 4MM say "Annual Platinum?" Do you start over again at Silver?

marc

Search this Thread