Are the promotions proof that Delta made a mistake?

Old Feb 26, 03, 10:18 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Are the promotions proof that Delta made a mistake?

Please forgive me (as I have forgiven myself!) for starting what might be considered a duplicate thread. We all know about Delta's 25 or so targeted "winter" promotions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/009497.html

These are clearly designed to get people to fly more during March 1 through April 14, 2003. It's only logical to conclude that Delta's bookings are weak during that period, and they are trying to "incent" people to fill up the planes.

So, here's my question: Are Delta's bookings weak just because of the economy, war fears, etc? Or is it the proposed changes to the SkyMiles program? One way to attempt to answer this question is to look at other airlines' bookings. Does anyone have any insight there? With two big airlines in bankruptcy, Delta might expect to pick up some business, but I guess it isn't happening.

Bottom line: Has Delta shot itself in the foot (or somewhere more important) with its SkyMiles changes? Is it obvious now even to them?

Bruce
Old Feb 26, 03, 10:39 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Moderators, please close this duplicate thread.
Old Feb 26, 03, 10:44 am

I don't think the current offerings have a lot to do with the SkyMiles changes. From what I've experienced, none of the carriers bookings are particularly great with the usual caveat for the low-fare carriers.

With the exception of Spring Break travel (mostly low-yield leisure), March still isn't a great month for airlines. The economy shows only minimal signs of recovery and pending war isn't helping travel.

I think its too early to really determine what effect the SkyMiles changes will have. Many members still aren't fully aware of the changes (most FF'ers are not as keenly sensitive as the FT group) and even some of those that are aware are riding out this last year. I think it will be a good six months before DL really starts to see the impact. But even then, things may be fuzzied by the ongoing problems of US/UA, possible alliance with CO/NW, duration of war, possible BK of AA, continued economic uncertainty, negotiations with DALPA, Song's performance,etc. What a mess!!
Old Feb 26, 03, 10:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

To answer your question, Bruce, I recommend posting a duplicate of your post in a general forum for greater input and more informative answers from flyers of other airlines.

I am serious. Really!

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 02-26-2003).]
Old Feb 26, 03, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
I have a hard time believing that Delta is starting these promotions as an "offering" because they acknowledged that they made a mistake simply because all of the promotions seem to be targeted - and the target groups appear to be very small.

If they were really worried they would open up most or all of these promotions to every Medallion flyer. It would be great if they would list all of the promotions and let all Medallions pick 1 from the list. I'm dreaming - it will never happen.

Yes, some people have been able to register who did not get a letter. However, I suspect that they will never get the bonus offered or it will be taken away as others are starting to see.

Personally, I'm getting tried of hearing about all of the promotions that I have not been targeted for. It just goes to show that Delta really doesn't want my business.
Old Feb 26, 03, 12:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
To answer your question, Bruce, I recommend posting a duplicate of your post in a general forum for greater input and more informative answers from flyers of other airlines.

I am serious. Really!

</font>
Yeah, you may capture those that have already shifted away from DL.
Old Feb 26, 03, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
New thread started in MilesBuzz:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/008384.html

Bruce
Old Feb 26, 03, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
"Incent" ????? I guess that is how language changes!
Old Feb 26, 03, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

I expect credit for this invention in the next Oxford English Dictionary! It seemed better than "incite."

Bruce
Old Feb 26, 03, 2:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
"Incent" ????? I guess that is how language changes!</font>
Are you incensed about the word incent being used instead of incentives making no sense?

Wha'd I just say?!?
Old Feb 26, 03, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Are you incensed about the word incent being used instead of incentives making no sense?

Wha'd I just say?!?
</font>
I am absolutely incentified because of these new promotions.

Old Feb 26, 03, 4:23 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WestCoastFlyer:

Personally, I'm getting tried of hearing about all of the promotions that I have not been targeted for. It just goes to show that Delta really doesn't want my business.
</font>

I am so outraged at these "targeted" offers.
They go to people who rarely fly and not to their best customers. I wrote Delta's SkyMiles customer service asking to be included in the offer of my choice. I wonder what form letter I'll get on that reply. They continue to wet their own bed. I have 6 trips planned for March alone, and if that isn't the customer they want to reward then I need to look elsewhere sooner than expected.

308 days left to fly Delta.
Old Feb 26, 03, 4:36 pm

Humaniod:

My response initially was same as yours. This isn't being initiated in response to medallions leaving because you would think they would try to placate the segment qualifying PM--me--who didn't get any of the offers. Then, I realized that I am booked every week except one during the promo period. I wonder if they check reservations and provide these promos to those who have not booked?

marc

[edited to correct my foible]

[This message has been edited by Marq (edited 02-26-2003).]
Old Feb 26, 03, 4:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
Humanoid:</font>
The name is Humaniod, not Humanoid.

Edited to add that I have booked this year and I still was targeted.

Old Feb 26, 03, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL MM/GM, WN A-List, SPG PLAT
I too have 6 itineraries booked in time period of the offers and I qualified for zero of them. I guess the only reward DL wants to give it's best customers was the bonus MQM miles from last year which I missed by a week!

Search this Thread