delta/skyteam to Europeon award travel

Old Feb 27, 03, 10:10 am
Original Poster

delta/skyteam to Europeon award travel

Does anyone know how many freebie seats DL slots for JFK-ATH? Is it easier to get seats on AF or Alitalia to ATH? Trying to figure out how many 300+ days out I need to call them.
Old Feb 27, 03, 2:24 pm

If you want business (possible also true for coach) I would be on phone 331 days in advance midnight eastern. That said, when I had to change approximately 300 days in advance (trip to Rome), it was getting hard to find a seat. I ended up on AF thru CDG. Remember that DL has a lot of partner flights from Europe. I would think you should be able to get AZ or AF less than 331 days.

marc
Old Feb 27, 03, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
I have very few posts, but think this a great to gain inside into the travel world. We have travel overseas once, so I wanted to go with DL for the comfort level.

The BizElite was hard for us to get in September for Italy. GM for me and skymiles for my wife. We used each use 80000 miles to get to MXP, we had to go PBI-ATL-BRU on DL and BRU-MXP on AZ in Business class. Started in December and finished in January. I did not want AF (CDG) tranfers. We changed our dates six times to fit into to business class. Return AZ MXP-JFK..... JFK-ATL-FLL on DL. I got the word from many at DL, that was a busy season any way. That was the only time we could take the time off.
NOTE: Half of agents took a real interest in helping me and working with the international partners desk. I would hope being GM did help me get the results????? I am glad I was general member trying to get this seats. Does anyone have the same thoughts?
Old Feb 27, 03, 3:07 pm

Partners desk are some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people out there.

331 days is key whether PM, GM or general member. No one can take the seat ahead of you. As you found, flexiblity can be important too, especially if changing or not booking early.

marc
Old Feb 27, 03, 3:51 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
You may want to consider CSA as an additional option. I flew with them from London to Athens via Prague last summer. Although the schedule was not the most convenient one (one of the last flights into and one of the earliest flights out of Athens), the service (in coach) was the best economy service I've had in years. They served delicious hot meals on all four legs of my itinerary with free Czech beer (and Czech wines, if you're brave), and the crews were absolutely delightful. I don't know anything about their transatlantic service though.

[This message has been edited by Passmethesickbag (edited 02-27-2003).]

Search this Thread