Open end round trip ticket help

Old Feb 25, 03, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Open end round trip ticket help

If I purchased a round trip ticket and I'm not going to use the return leg will Delta allow me to use the return trip for a future flight or will they penalize me for not showing up?
Old Feb 25, 03, 3:47 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Assuming you bought an inflexible fare, toss the return. If you bring it to DL's attention, they can charge you the one-way full fare rate for the segments used. You are doing "throwaway" ticketing, which is against the CofC.

Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 25, 03, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
deleted

[This message has been edited by TMOTEE (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 03, 5:03 pm

I'm not sure you are entitled to any refund. The ticket (I'm assuming) you purchased was for SFO-PIT, the fact that it happens to go thru JFK is irrelevant. In fact if there were weather or mechanical issues Delta could route you SFO-ATL-PIT (if that routing exists), in which case you'd be in trouble.

Also realize that any checked baggage you have will be tagged thru to PIT, there's no option to have it taken off at JFK.

Jeff
Old Feb 25, 03, 5:13 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
TMOTEE, I would call beforehand and ask them, "out of curiosity," how things would reprice to JFK. Assuming there is a difference in your favor (or no difference), tell them to go ahead and reticket it and refund you the difference. That way, you will be all set.

You paid for the flexibility of a refundable/changeable ticket... use it!
Old Feb 25, 03, 5:47 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Be real careful. A direct to PIT ticket might be more expensive and you would be in trouble. Remember, there is NO LOGIC in airline fares.

An example - I used to travel Jackson MS - ATL - Nashville on upgradeable fares for well under $200. ATL-Nashville were $800 if you were lucky.

Of course, everybody has plenty of foolish examples.
Old Feb 25, 03, 8:33 pm

deleted

[This message has been edited by TMOTEE (edited 02-25-2003).]
Old Feb 25, 03, 8:53 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I believe partial refunds are only allowed for involuntary cancellations. So, if you're lucky, the JFK-PIT flight will be cancelled, and you can get a pro-rata refund.

Is your US award ticket a round trip? If so, fly to PIT and back anyway. You won't get miles for the JFK-PIT flight if you don't take it. If Delta is feeling really mad, they won't give you any miles for the whole trip for your hidden city ticketing.
Old Feb 25, 03, 9:03 pm

TMOTEE, given the fare that you scored, you won't be getting any refund. In fact, I would be careful doing throw away ticketing here. If I were you, I would erase all of what you have entered above, as I think you have said too much. If the RPU knows of this, they'll likely rescind all your miles, double MQMs, and try to charge you the fare difference. Can they connect you to your life persona via email address or something?
Old Feb 25, 03, 9:39 pm

I am usually not a paranoid person but andymo you are freaking me out. (just a little). With all the problems in the airline industry if dl or any airline for that matter wants to nit-pick at these type of things then I will take my $35,000 a yr in business somewhere else.
Old Feb 25, 03, 10:47 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
No, Delta is not that crazy, but, as I wrote in my previous post, I suggest you fly back to PIT and then back to LGA on your US award ticket. They might give you 0 miles for your hidden city ticketing if you skip the last flight.

Search this Thread