Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad day for me w.r.t. Delta (Platinum)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Sad day for me w.r.t. Delta (Platinum)

After three years as Delta PM, I have made the painful decision to move all my business to another carrier (America West). Delta has been great to me over the past five years, but the erosion of PM benefits have forced me to make a business decision.

Maybe I'll return if Delta sees the error in its' ways, but for now I'll just burn the 400K of miles I have with them on vacation travel.

Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:41 pm

Add another Flyertalker to the club of people who cannot possibly represent Delta's customer base. This is some fringe group. Delta's customers could not possibly be wrong because Delta would not do something so stupid.

I guess I am not enlightened enough to understand their thinking.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:53 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
"A Business Decision"

I've been thinking about business decisions and can't understand why PM's are leaving right now.

The right "business decision" is doing what is best for YOUR business, not Delta's. As a frequent traveller (150K/year) my business decision is not just price, but also comfort and convenience.

I cannot have any misplaced sense of loyalty for Delta with their current philosophy of business with regard to their customers.

It is without passion that I see the RIGHT business decision being to get the most for ME. That seems to be using all of the benefits of a PM this year while they're still here; take advantage of the offering and walk ONLY when its gone. There will be plenty of other carriers looking for MY business at the end of the year. Why give up status now?

So Delta won't have benefits next year... I won't be using them next year. Today I flew two legs; upgraded online at purchase on both legs, got full MQM on both legs; received base-miles, bonus-miles, online booking bonuse, kiosk check-in bonus. Why shouldn't I use DL today? They are offering the most benefits today...!!

Delta has 310 days left before I leave them. That's 310 days of benefits and 310 days for them to reconsider. Of course I do let them know weekly via email that I will be leaving (I updated the clock to them today). This seems to me to be the best business decision.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:57 pm

FL-delta:

I could not have said it better. I was upgraded on both flights today. Since it is end of president's day week, I was on M fare so I got 1.5. I am on pace (with carryover) to have 55,000 MQM by 1 May. I will make PM on both segments (grandfathered) and miles this year. However, if Delta, does not fix PM upgrade benefits for next year, I will sell out to the highest bidder.

marc
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, while you continue to enjoy your benefits this year, please consider a contribution to the fund that Bruce is collecting for all of us.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Folks, while you continue to enjoy your benefits this year, please consider a contribution to the fund that Bruce is collecting for all of us.</font>
Also, If you have not done so already...please register at www.saveskymiles.com

AND, get all of your friends and neighbors and business associates and...... to do the same.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Fly DL Platinum has summed up my numerous posts on this subject. It is also the reason why DL cannot know their true damage for awhile. But I have absolutely no cares about MQMs earned this year... I cannot be lower than a GM anyway next year, and I will have CRC privileges via my Amex platinum card.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
Add another Flyertalker to the club of people who cannot possibly represent Delta's customer base. This is some fringe group. Delta's customers could not possibly be wrong because Delta would not do something so stupid.

I guess I am not enlightened enough to understand their thinking.
</font>
CountinPlaces, what exactly in megadoo's post leads you to the conclusion that FT is not a representation of DL's customer base? From the sound of his post, I was almost in the same exact boat.

Just beacuse I think Delta was wrong to do what they did does not mean that I am not representative of their customer base.

From what I'm hearing, the exact opposite is true, and most PM's are really ticked off at the changes.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:30 am

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FL-Delta-Platinum:
"A Business Decision"

I've been thinking about business decisions and can't understand why PM's are leaving right now.
</font>
The problem with your thinking (not saying it is wrong) is that if everybody followed that logic, Delta would see these SkyMiles changes as a positive. If we all walk right now, Delta would be FORCED to address these asinine changes.

Leo: "Golly gee, 1st qtr. revenue is up!!"
Vickie: "Gee wiz, those Medallion changes are really paying off!"
Leo: "If our customers loved these benefit 'improvements' wait'll they get a load of what we have planned next."

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspman:
CountinPlaces, what exactly in megadoo's post leads you to the conclusion that FT is not a representation of DL's customer base? From the sound of his post, I was almost in the same exact boat.</font>
mspman... I could be wrong, but it appears that CountinPlaces is being HIGHLY sarcastic.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Maybe not highly enough (but I agree with you)!

Bruce
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:03 pm

oops. sawwy
Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:17 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Yes, Razzle-D, it is indeed a (sweet?) irony that those of us who have left are probably doing the most to further the "Save" SkyMiles cause.

And those hanging in for "one more year" are doing most to further the likelihood that the perpetrators will claim success.

Ah, life.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:37 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
Lex,

I'm sure your departure has sent a signal to Delta - only if you make them aware of it with communication. To assume that they look at individual elite members is probably expecting too much from them. What you have done DOES speak the language Delta understands - revenue.

However, remaining with them this year works towards the cause as well if regular communication is given to Delta. I've emailed them AT LEAST once a week since it was announced.

I believe a combination of both statements (your leaving and my threats) convey the message best. I admit, my staying with Delta is mostly selfish for the benefits I already have. However, it is also due to not having the time recently to research other programs to see which will offer me the best package out of FFL to the majority of my destinations (ATL, SAV, GSO, GSP, CHS, PNS, TLH, BHM, JAX, RDU, OKC).

Maybe we need a new thread discussion which programs work best in which regions of the country and for which type of traveller.

I let Delta know today that they only had my business for 309 more days and WHY they will be losing me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.