Great service ha ha

Old Feb 23, 03, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dl gold
Great service ha ha

I recently bought a Delta ticket from Nashville to chicago. I have to drive two hours to Nashville. I could have flown from an hour away at same cost but not on Delta. So I want skymiles and so book Nashville. I look on web and call twice en route I was told the flight was on time or I would have booked book another flight if not as I had very a inportant meeting to attend. I got to the desk and was told delayed due to weather. I told the agent I just called 15 minutes earlier and was told it was on time. The agent told me it still showed on the computer that it was on time but it was wrong. The earliest they could get me there by another airline was 3 hours late as all seats sold out by then. I get refund for that segment and paid 30 nore dollars for swa flight. Ask for mileage credit and they told me to call when i get home. I call and email and they said since I got refund then they could not give me credit. I am only a sm but not happy, I do not feel like a valued customer. I flew Delta on return. trip.
Old Feb 23, 03, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Welcome to FT!

This has happened to me with practically every airline I have ever flown on. There seems to be an institutional reluctance to let you know that a flight is going to be delayed untill after you have already left for the airport.

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 24, 03, 4:22 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Welcome indeed! The worst case like this to happen to me was being told by the counter agent I had better herry to catch my flight (I had less than 15 minutes but this was way before security was added to the mix) and I was in Atlanta and needed to go to concourse B. I took off running only to find out when I got there that the flight was not only not boarding, it had not even gotten thee yet. They can't keep up with a multi-million dollar asset like an aircraft and they wonder why they are in financial trouble.

------------------
former EA exec travler, AA GA. US Gold. Current DL MM, PM Marriott PL, SPG PL, Hilton Gold HH
Old Feb 24, 03, 8:37 am

I have employed a new procedure for checking on the status of a flight which might be helpful. Never ask if flight 123 is on time. 90% of the time you will get "yes" even if it is late. Rather I get the airplanr id number then ask where the plane is actually located.
Seems to work better.
Old Feb 24, 03, 8:43 am

mflyer has it right - ask a few extra questions -

"Is the plane at the airport?"
If not, "Where is it coming from"
"Has it left yet?" etc.

That's what it usually takes to get to the truth about timing.

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 03, 8:45 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mflyer:

Rather I get the airplanr id number then ask where the plane is actually located.
Seems to work better.
</font>

Is this a dumb question...

How do you look up the ID number?

And... who do you ask about the planes location? Is that information available to the reservations people?

-- Dambus

Old Feb 24, 03, 10:31 am

Its not actually called the "id" number ( I cant remember what the real name is, but ill get it). Anyway, there are a number ways to get it. There are some online resources (which I will get). Also the csr individual on the phone can access it. What I do is this:
Call airline csr and ask: What is the id number (remember its not called id number) of flight 123 from Boston to Atlanta.
Csr: its N34J6.
Me: where is the plane right now?
csr: it's currently in Katmandu.

Then you can follow up with est arrival/departure times, etc. The problem is that the airline computer systems will still show that the fight is "ontime" beacuse it hasnt been changed. And they arent changed until some gets around to doing it.
Old Feb 24, 03, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
You do have to be careful, though, because sometimes they will make an equipment change to accommodate the passengers, unusual as that might be.

------------------
Vasant
Old Feb 24, 03, 10:58 am

True, there are instances of equipment change. The number is called the registration number and is on the plane itself. Any airline employees who have access to the computer/res system can get it. All you have to do is ask. Often getting accurate info is how you ask the question.
Old Feb 24, 03, 11:21 am

I have had res agents refuse to provide any plane "ID" information, citing "security" concerns. I assume their real concern was to get me off the phone as quickly as possible in order not to bring down their statistics. A couple of times I've just asked them to check where the equipment originated and see if that leg was on time; this seems to get a better response, but one can't know if the information is accurate.

One thing I do know is that just asking res if the plane is on time is practically useless in most cases. They don't bother to update the computer system, so the res agents really don't know. I've actually been stuck at the airport waiting for a flight with a posted delay (and a long line of unhappy pax waiting at the gate) only to be told by res that the plane was on time.

A particular pet peeve is when what are mechanical or crew scheduling problems, etc. are blamed on weather when that is clearly not the case. Once I was told at a hub that my arriving flight (the first of the day, same flight number) was delayed by weather. Since it was a long delay I had time to do some checking and discovered that no other flights on any carriers from that airport had been delayed and the weather conditions were ideal. When I mentioned this fact at the service desk the agent loudly said "we've been told to advise you this is a weather delay. NEXT!" while rudely motioning for me to step aside with a wave of his hand.

Old Feb 24, 03, 11:30 am

good points gilpin.

As a reminder if you are ever delayed by fault of the airline (basically most anything other than weather)utilize rule 240!!
Old Feb 24, 03, 1:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:
mflyer has it right - ask a few extra questions -

"Is the plane at the airport?"
If not, "Where is it coming from"
"Has it left yet?" etc.

That's what it usually takes to get to the truth about timing.

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 02-24-2003).]
</font>
If you want to sound like you know the industry, substitute the word "equipment" for "plane" when you ask.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
Old Feb 24, 03, 3:15 pm

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
There was a time when I asked, "Is the flight on time?"

Now I ask (in as nice a way as possible):

1) Has the plane arrived at the gate yet?

If yes - then - Are the pilots and/or the flight attendents here as well and if not when are they expected? AND Are there any weather delays either here or at the destination?

If not - when is it due in? Has it left its point of departure? and If it hasn't left - When is it going to leave?

I know this sounds really anal but that type of information is not usually, if ever, volunteered and I sure know a whole lot more about when I might actually get on the plane and leave once I get those answers.

Search this Thread