Wiki Posts
Search

'Footrest' in 763 international

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2003, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
'Footrest' in 763 international

I have seen seatguru, Ben Edelman's site and various threads here about the exit rows in couch on the 763. However, I remain unclear about an answer to my specific query.
I have phlebitis in my right leg and would be leary about a possible flight this week from ATL-AMS unless I could improvise some kind of footrest like sitting up my travel-case to elevate my leg. Is there enough room to do this in row 21 (A,B,F,G)? Do I have it right that rules forbidding such luggage in the exit row apply only to take-off and landing?
Of course, I would prefer the business-elite cabin but after loosing SWUs I am now almost out of points which I am saving up for a trip to South Africa next year.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
On long flights, my left knee starts to bother me. I also solve this problem by improvising a foot-rest (when I'm in coach, of course). I have done this in row 21 using my rollaboard (on its side).

I never sit in row 20 because it doesn't recline. That's real torture on a long flight -- although even the reclining coach seats don't recline very much!

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2003, 7:21 pm

Don't know if this would help - but I have seen fold-up footrests on the travel supply sites - Magellan's for example has one for about $25. Might be easier to use something like this than your carry-on.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Xeno:
Do I have it right that rules forbidding such luggage in the exit row apply only to take-off and landing?
</font>
Yes, that's right.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

This helps as I come closer to the Wed deadline.
Anyone know if you can use the six hour virtual check-in to get the exit row on the international 763? Or since I have to fly from OKC to ATL would that increase the odds that row 21 might be available for me?
I am a GMMer.

[This message has been edited by Xeno (edited 02-23-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
If you want those exit-row seats, you have to carefully monitor the Delta seatmaps (use Ben Edelman's site for that). Delta introduces exit-row seats into available inventory anywhere from 6 hours to 30 or so hours before the flight. When they show up, grab them immediately. I do this quite regularly and almost never fail to get them. (And then sometimes I get operationally upgraded, which is even better!)

Bruce
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
If you want those exit-row seats, you have to carefully monitor the Delta seatmaps (use Ben Edelman's site for that). Delta introduces exit-row seats into available inventory anywhere from 6 hours to 30 or so hours before the flight. When they show up, grab them immediately. I do this quite regularly and almost never fail to get them. (And then sometimes I get operationally upgraded, which is even better!)

Bruce
</font>
Bruce, I always thought that the these 763 exit rows were held for airport checkin. Do you call SMS to get them after checking Ben Edelman's seat map or are you able to switch at delta.com?

Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: delta/song
You may have you feet perched on your bag during the flight, but not take off and landing. I would not mention to anyone you have problems with your legs, they may not let you sit there. Enjoy your flight!!
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The exit rows are often not held for airport check-in, even on overbooked flights. (Or maybe they are from certain airports, but not the ones I've used in recent years.) These seats suddenly show up, often at 6 a.m. or so (Eastern time), and are accessible through delta.com. When I'm flying anywhere international, I check throughout the day of flight and the previous day. Usually the seats show up. I did this as recently as January 1, 2003, in Berlin. I was able to reserve row 21 on my flight from FRA the next day (but then was operationally upgraded and had the duplicate seating problem that I related in another thread).

Good advice about not mentioning leg problems while occupying an exit-row seat, but my problem is nothing more than a dull ache (in one knee only) that occurs after 3 or 4 hours without having weight on it (although it doesn't happen when I'm sleeping flat in a bed). It has something to do with hyperextension of the knee, and a footrest solves the problem.

Bruce
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:28 am
GG

I can't recommend a folding footrest highly enough. I do prefer my all-plastic one to Magellan's, although that one is slightly larger, sturdier, and might be a better bet for a man, but anyway I have no idea where mine came from (it was a gift). Even the bigger footrest takes up little space and weighs under a pound. It is infinitely better than trying to improvise a footrest with a carry-on bag - believe me, I used to do that too!

Since switching to NW, I've found that the F cabins we've flown so far all have fold-down footrests (unlike most of DL's which don't), but I'm not planning on leave mine at home - just call it insurance.

Link to footrest at Magellan's

------------------
email on profile
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:52 am
Original Poster

I have been particularly helped by all the advice, especially the idea that I can use the Delta web to get row 21 early.
I am 'able-bodied' in terms of getting the emergency door open, but if I do not elevate my leg during a long flight it can swell and at least once gave me a blood clot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.