Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New DL discount carrier for displaced Plat, Gl & Sil's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*

As I was reading the morning paper about the cutback in pillows and blanlets along with some of these posts ,I started to reflect on the first 6 weeks trying the new Skymiles program out. I have flown more trips at higher fares and there is now way I will requalify Gold next year--so my idea to Delta for all of who are getting screwed to keep our business on a lower cost basis:

Start with a fleet of old C130's. Coach can be the benches in front of the cargo nets. Upgrades can be some folding chairs up front. DL can cut flight attendants by tossing a ice chest of bottled water on at pushback. Space for carry ons should be no problem. DL can reduce gate costs by gating us at the cargo terminals. With these reduced overhead suggestions maybe we can have full mileage credit back for discount fares and earn our way back to the mainline.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:36 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
If Delta offered a plane like that with round trip fares of ca. $180. from the northeast nonstop to Florida around Spring break, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas that plane would fill up almost 331 days in advance. Even if people had to walk from the gate area out onto the tarmac and then about a block (but not a half mile) to climb stairs onto the plane on departure day.

Note that the benches and folding chairs must be firmly fastened to the floor, have upright seat backs, and seat belts, and be sturdy enough not to twist or collapse if the plane comes to a sudden stop. Luggage must be secured in compartments so as not to bounce around in front of passengers if there is turbulence.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-17-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by misty1tk:
maybe we can have full mileage credit back for discount fares</font>
Last I checked, DISCOUNT fares have always earned "full mileage credit". In fact, even DEEP DISCOUNT fares earn "full mileage credit".

You are obviously mixing up MQMs and mileage credit.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:55 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Platinum
How about folding chairs bolted onto a flatbed truck? There would also be a dog to lean out the side of the truck.

[This message has been edited by gercohen (edited 02-17-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Platinum
we could name it Ozark
Old Feb 17, 2003, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
In fact, even DEEP DISCOUNT fares earn "full mileage credit".

You are obviously mixing up MQMs and mileage credit.
</font>
I have read a couple of threads this morning about people mixing up MQMs and mileage credit. I understand that nothing has been done to earning ability but it sounds like Delta has an education issue on its hands. Are they going to lose more flyers because it is perceived that they are not getting full credit?

And DEEP DISCOUNT = FAIR MARKET VALUE.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 1:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by misty1tk:
... Coach can be the benches in front of the cargo nets.... </font>
The Beverly Hillbillies tried this in 1969! Jed and farmer Howard Hewes formed an airline using a corporate jet fitted with benches. My favorite part was Ellie Mae admonishing the pax to fasten their seat ropes.

I've always wondered if this was the genus of the reported use by Res of the term "Clampetts" to denote inexperienced or unsophisticated pax.

Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE

Start with a fleet of old C130's. Coach can be the benches in front of the cargo nets. Upgrades can be some folding chairs up front. DL can cut flight attendants by tossing a ice chest of bottled water on at pushback. Space for carry ons should be no problem. DL can reduce gate costs by gating us at the cargo terminals. With these reduced overhead suggestions maybe we can have full mileage credit back for discount fares and earn our way back to the mainline.
</font>

Well, you can see a DL C-130 at Airliners.Net

They were operated from 1966 to 1973.

Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gercohen:
we could name it Ozark</font>
you'd have to buy the rights from AA since TWA owned them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.