Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta SMS recommends that I join Air France frequence plus

Old Feb 15, 03, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: * Gold (BD) - SkyTeam Silver (AF) - IC hotels RA - Tesco Clubcard Blue :-)

Like many others, Im now waiting 3 months for my Platinum Medallion card to arrive in the mail. They really do make it difficult for us, don't they!

Having being denied access to an Air France Business lounge because I dont yet have my platinum card (I even brought along a future Itinerary which shows my status and name) I decided to call Delta to find out what I have to do to gain access.

"Well Sir, I recommend that since you are flying Air France frequently you join the Air France frequent flyer program...." "The only way you have access to a skyteam lounge is if you are flying a skyteam flight on a DL coded ticket."

Yep, Im peeved. I fly full fare Trans-Atlantic with DL every six weeks,and since they have cancelled so many london services this winter, my next trip is flying via Paris, On Delta Metal, using an AF ticket, as it is nearly $200 cheaper. And now I cant access the lounges? Is this correct?

Does anyone have any Tips for gaining access to the lounges? Should I print my online DL statement? Should I join AF Frequence Plus as stupidly suggested? Perhaps the solution is to start flying BA!
Old Feb 15, 03, 11:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonTravel:
Like many others, Im now waiting 3 months for my Platinum Medallion card to arrive in the mail. They really do make it difficult for us, don't they!

Having being denied access to an Air France Business lounge because I dont yet have my platinum card (I even brought along a future Itinerary which shows my status and name) I decided to call Delta to find out what I have to do to gain access.

"Well Sir, I recommend that since you are flying Air France frequently you join the Air France frequent flyer program...." "The only way you have access to a skyteam lounge is if you are flying a skyteam flight on a DL coded ticket."

Yep, Im peeved. I fly full fare Trans-Atlantic with DL every six weeks,and since they have cancelled so many london services this winter, my next trip is flying via Paris, On Delta Metal, using an AF ticket, as it is nearly $200 cheaper. And now I cant access the lounges? Is this correct?

Does anyone have any Tips for gaining access to the lounges? Should I print my online DL statement? Should I join AF Frequence Plus as stupidly suggested? Perhaps the solution is to start flying BA!
</font>
Does your boarding card not show your Elite Plus Status. It should.... The rules about lounge access are poorly explained, but I have used the AF lounge outbound of CDG using an AF coach ticket on an AF flight by virute of Elite Plus status.

[This message has been edited by CelticFlyer (edited 02-15-2003).]
Old Feb 15, 03, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Have them fax you a letter confirming your status and saying htat your card is in the mail.
Old Feb 15, 03, 1:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
DL's treatment of LondonTravel is outrageous.

You've got to be one of the only DL PMs based in London (with what limited service they offer only out of Gatwick) - and now you're even willing to fly via CDG on what I presume is full fare Y.

That being said, AF seems to look to find any reason to deny access to the lounges at CDG.

One time, I was denied access to an AF CDG lounge (had a paid DL J ticket) - wrote to DL and they wrote back appologizing on AF's behalf and saying "you should have been admitted" to the lounge. AF is consistently very tough on lounges and upgrades.

Your situation might warrant an overnight (Fedex, DHL) letter to Patrice Miles at DL in Atlanta (I have a feeling overnight mail gets attention at DLHQ over traditional mail.) explaining what's been happening and demanding they send you credentials (and PMUs!!) immediately.

Good luck!
Old Feb 15, 03, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonTravel:
Does anyone have any Tips for gaining access to the lounges? Should I print my online DL statement? Should I join AF Frequence Plus as stupidly suggested? Perhaps the solution is to start flying BA!</font>
This comment is not meant to be unhelpful, but perhaps you should take this absurd treatment as a sign of how much DL and AF value you as a customer and consider taking your business elsewhere as many of us for the most-part already have.
Old Feb 15, 03, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
With awful treatment like that, you should go get yourself comped at NW or a similar international airline.
Old Feb 16, 03, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: * Gold (BD) - SkyTeam Silver (AF) - IC hotels RA - Tesco Clubcard Blue :-)
I don't live in London, but Atlanta, but british, flying to london once every five - six weeks on short business trips. Yes, Delta have now gone to one flight daily on ATL - LGW, and did so at such short notice.

I am a real Delta fan, and have been Gold Medallion for four years, last year making Platinum medallion for the first time, thanks to me travelling too frequently, and Delta offering Double international miles frequently.

Their recent Medallion Qualification changes will help me gain PM status in 2004, as I tend to travel on full fares (Yes, i'm the person who benefits from these changes it seems)... But whats the point, if they really don't care about my business, and as a PM suggest that i move my business elsewhere?

I think I'll pay a visit to the BA station manager in Atlanta on my next visit, and see if they will offer me silver Medallion for my business. BA (who only have a daily flight as well - better seats, better IFE, not as busy (more space) at Atlanta really look after their Atlanta based elite passengers according to a friend from BAE systems!
Old Feb 16, 03, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One a day to LGW is not fixed and changes often at the moment due to the CRAF call-up.

Search this Thread