Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected PM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--Nola--Welcome to FT. The fact that you received such a variety of responses to your question gives credence to what many of us feel--DL has made the Medallion changes nearly incomprehensible (except to Andymo99)
Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:39 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
biara: if you don't know what you're talking about, why post?

Most Plats will start 2004 with 20 MUgs, enough to upgrade two roundtrips to the left coast.

I have no idea why you think a Plat starts with 36 additional MUgs. References? Delta has certainly not informed me thus.

Golds are better off than Plats if they can bank their MSU/MUgs.

Buying before May seems like a good strategy; hope it works.

We got our Northwest upgrades today for Thursday's flight to Boston.

Since you're one of Delta's winners, a question: will you be spending more on Delta this year than you would have? Enquiring minds....

------------------
Willful ignorance is worse than stupidity.
e-mail address under profile
Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:57 pm

Location: Nassau, Bahamas. ex EAL ET, 4MM. DL GM, MM. Co Silver.
I went back and read the rules- I've not been a PM since '82 on EAL - and it looks like bad news for PMs: During '03 PMs will have unlimited upgrades, but earn zilch future upgrades. Nada.
In late 'o3 they will requalify and get 6 PMUs
On 1/1/04 they get 20 5MUs. In my example above the PM then earns 36 5MUs during '04 for a total of 56, but will have to start with a bank balance of just 20.
I can't believe that this is intentional. Looks like Robert Borden & Co aren't thinking. Is anyone surprised?
I'm sure someone is watching. Hey, will you guys do something!
And for PMs who are going to hang in there: Buy 8MUs in April 03. I don't see any rule against it.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Well I certainly got a lot of information on the upgrade subject, but almost no insight into the reason of my unexpected PM qualification. Anybody want to take a shot at it? I performed a search on the subject (prior to posting, of course) and the general position in the forum was that Delta will not get you over the fence even with the smallest of margins, which is why I'm curious.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Delta has been redetermining Medallion status -- upward ONLY -- based on 2002 MQMs. If you flew a lot of M fares and higher last year, that would explain the change from Gold to Platinum. A coworker of mine went from Silver to Gold based on his recomputation.

Bruce
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:10 pm

For LexPax: Please note that in my example I said the fictional PM will earn 36 5MUs in '04; not start with them.
But I did not realize until I read the fine print what a raw deal you PMs are getting. I am indeed better off as a GM now.
As to your question: Yes, I will fly more DL, and avoid all others. I have already noticed that's it's easier to upgrade, and I expect this will continue. I even made LGA ATL w/o trouble a couple of days ago.
And DL is a joy on the transatlantic runs, and don't forget that DL is PA's successor there.
Have enjoyed your postings over the past few years.
Biara, LLB
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--Thanks, Bruce--I now understand why my spouse suddenly went from silver to gold. As with Nola and your co-worker, DL must have recalculated based on all of those M fares he flew (with me) last year. Just discovered that spouse turned gold today when I looked at an upcoming itinerary. DL could have sent him an e-mail notifying him of his "upgrade."
Old Feb 10, 2003, 5:03 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by biara:
JSNYC: During '03 PMs still have unlimited upgrades, and GMs earn a lot of 8MUs until 4/30 </font>
Interesting. I've flown 21,000 base miles in 2004 and have not seen 1 new 8MU hit my account. I'm PM and I figure they are just not going to award them and seed you next year with 20 5MU's.

Old Feb 10, 2003, 5:35 pm

For yknot: 'fraid you are right. I have 16 8MUs so far.... and I've flown much less than you have. Maybe you can change to GM for the rest of '03? Actually, that might not be bad idea? Will some PM try it?
I now have some 2nd thoughts, brilliant as usual. What if a couple of 100 PMs request a change to GM status? Would that wake up Leo? Can we try it?
For NOLA: You sure stirred up an interesting debate. Hope you enjoyed it and learned something. I did. I now finally understand some of the PM *****ing. And we brought LexPax back from the NW grave.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:01 pm

biara: I'm glad somebody at least is coming out ahead in all of this.

It's really a complexity to figure out all the ramifications. What we discovered was we didn't have to get up at 4:30 anymore to catch a decent flight.... our Northwest first class seat is on the 11:20 in the AM... ah, the extra sleep...

------------------
Willful ignorance is worse than stupidity.
e-mail address under profile
Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
Interesting. I've flown 21,000 base miles in 2004 and have not seen 1 new 8MU hit my account. I'm PM and I figure they are just not going to award them and seed you next year with 20 5MU's.

</font>
As PM, you won't get any Segment upgrades this year (you have unlimited for 03), your first allocation of 500msus will come 1/04, when you'll get 20.

How they screwed up the GMs and PMs for next year is pretty amusing.

On the topic of getting 800MSUs this year, I received 8 800MSUs (presumably for qualifying GM this year) around 1/1/03 and then another 8 after flying just one flight in 2003 - 3500 miles in C (7000 MQMs) - for a total of 16 800 MSUs already this year. If I don't use any of those this year, I'll have 26 500MSUs when the conversion happens - more than PMs will get. (Granted, I may use some this year, but I've got 40+ left over from last year which I go through first- so it's fairly likely this GM will have more Segment upgrades 1/1/04 than a PM.

I think I'll qualify PM this year. When I got PM in 2000 (qualifying 12/99), they immediately removed the segment account from my skymiles account on the website. When I went back to GM 1/01, they (the 1999 earned segments) reappeared and were immediately deleted as they should have, b/c they expired. The only thing I got to start the year in 2001 (as GM, ex-PM) was 8 segments.

Changing status while they're changing the program rules has the potential to really disadvantage some people.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:12 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYBanker:
As PM, you won't get any Segment upgrades this year (you have unlimited for 03), your first allocation of 500msus will come 1/04, when you'll get 20.

How they screwed up the GMs and PMs for next year is pretty amusing.

On the topic of getting 800MSUs this year, I received 8 800MSUs (presumably for qualifying GM this year) around 1/1/03 and then another 8 after flying just one flight in 2003 - 3500 miles in C (7000 MQMs) - for a total of 16 800 MSUs already this year. If I don't use any of those this year, I'll have 26 500MSUs when the conversion happens - more than PMs will get. (Granted, I may use some this year, but I've got 40+ left over from last year which I go through first- so it's fairly likely this GM will have more Segment upgrades 1/1/04 than a PM.

I think I'll qualify PM this year. When I got PM in 2000 (qualifying 12/99), they immediately removed the segment account from my skymiles account on the website. When I went back to GM 1/01, they (the 1999 earned segments) reappeared and were immediately deleted as they should have, b/c they expired. The only thing I got to start the year in 2001 (as GM, ex-PM) was 8 segments.

Changing status while they're changing the program rules has the potential to really disadvantage some people.
</font>
That's exactly how I read it.

Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:35 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
NOLA has the best of both worlds...
As a GM last year he's earned 8MUgs and probably has some banked.
This year as a PM he isn't going to use them (they don't actually deduct when you use upgrades as a PM - I had 23 living in my bank until they expired 01/03).
05/01/03 he earned th 5MUg multiplier. He'll save them all year and get his additional 20 on 01/04. He's ahead of the year-over-year PM.

Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:47 pm

FL Del PL: and on 31 December of the year of our lord 2003 they will go *poof* and he will start 2004 in the same miserable condition of the rest of you who are not now finding your new homes....

Have I misunderstood this?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I submit that it matters not how many MSUs one earns as a GM or PM this year if you will not be using Delta after 1/1/2004!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.