How does Delta compare...

Old Feb 11, 03, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

How does Delta compare...

I just peeked over at American's Advantage program....makes the NEW Delta program look OK. On AA, you need to fly Y or B to get 1 to 1 qualification miles, otherwise just a half. Business only gets you 1.25. Upgrades are the same for their highest level...4 x 500 miles for 10,000 travelled. How do the other majors compare?

marc
Old Feb 11, 03, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
I just peeked over at American's Advantage program....makes the NEW Delta program look OK. On AA, you need to fly Y or B to get 1 to 1 qualification miles, otherwise just a half. Business only gets you 1.25. Upgrades are the same for their highest level...4 x 500 miles for 10,000 travelled. How do the other majors compare?

marc
</font>

Marq,

I had this thought after the webchat and now it is stronger.

By any chance, do you work for Delta?
Old Feb 11, 03, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
There are two advantages to the Aadvantage program over the Skymiles program.

1) You're right about Q-POINTS, but you can also qualify on AA by segments and by actual flown miles, for Gold and Platinum (equivalent to DL's Silver and Gold). However to get the Executive Platinum (equivalent to DL Platinum) you do have to qualify with Q-points.

2) When stuck in coach on AA you have much mor elegroom than on Delta's coach product.
Old Feb 11, 03, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

No. I am a PM who is trying to figure out which battles to fight. I looked at switching to USAir last year when Delta changed pricing. I discovered their program (especially the club) was much weaker. I am reading posts here of folks switching to AA because they are angry at changes so I decided to look. Worse than Delta (including the club). Truthfully, I am most angry at Delta because Mullin doesn't seem to care about his customers. He talks to congress about getting into Heathrow instead of coming out with a frequent pax card to get thru security (my biggest gripe). I will accept that I will make PM probably only every other year (because of the carryover of some GM miles). However, I believe in fighting over number of upgrades for PM. I think Delta has made a significant miscalculation on their ability to keep PMs happy. As someone else said, who cares if we don't make PM; the benefits are lousy. I think Delta is the most economically viable of the major airlines due to less union involvement. I would like to see Delta prosper so that they can continue to provide a reasonably good product (would like to see meals come back). The only way that that is going to happen is for US to be happy.

sorry about my rambling...

marc

PS Thanks SRQ, I only looked at their PM equivalent. Delta coach is hit and miss...as I've had to sit in back recently, I am learning which seats on which planes have the best legroom.

[This message has been edited by Marq (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old Feb 11, 03, 1:56 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
However to get the Executive Platinum (equivalent to DL Platinum) you do have to qualify with Q-points</font>
?? I believe you can qualify for EXP by either Q-points OR Q-miles (Q-miles being base, or actual, miles flown)

Old Feb 11, 03, 2:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

As you earn qualifying flight activity, you will become eligible for membership in the AAdvantage program's elite-status levels. Earn elite status qualifying miles and segments when you purchase eligible fare tickets and fly on American Airlines, American Eagle, American Connection, Aer Lingus, Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Airlines), British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia, LanChile (including LanPeru), Qantas Airways and/or American Airlines codeshare flights*. You must fly at least four segments on American Airlines and American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage Gold®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles include the actual miles or segments you fly, and guaranteed minimum mileage bonuses earned for the flight.
To qualify for AAdvantage Gold membership, you must earn 25,000 qualifying points or fly at least 25,000 qualifying miles or 30 qualifying segments during the calendar year (January 1 through December 31).

To qualify for AAdvantage Platinum membership, you must earn 50,000 qualifying points or fly 50,000 qualifying miles or 60 qualifying segments during the calendar year (January 1 through December 31).

To qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum membership, you must earn 100,000 qualifying points or 100,000 qualifying miles during the calendar year (January 1 through December 31). The number of AAdvantage points you earn is based on the actual miles flown on elite qualifying flights.

Here's how it works:
Purchased Fares Points Earned Per Mile Flown
First Class 1.50
Business Class 1.25
Full-fare Economy Class* 1.00
Discount Economy Class** .50
* Includes fares booked in Y or B on American Airlines and American Eagle (and equivalent booking codes on participating carriers). Ticket must reflect an American Airlines coded flight number.
** Excludes consolidator fares.

Old Feb 11, 03, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I stand corrected on Points only. You can qualify with 100,000 base miles.
Old Feb 11, 03, 2:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
I am reading posts here of folks switching to AA because they are angry at changes so I decided to look. Worse than Delta (including the club).</font>
If by "club," you mean the frequent flyer program, I think it would be difficult to support the suggestion that AA is worse than DL. I think AA is better than DL in terms of mileage earning opportunities.

If by "club," you mean lounges, DL CRCs may be marginally better than AA Admirals Clubs, but the lounge network for oneworld is far superior to that of SkyTeam.

By the way, AA mid-tier elites (Platinum) get lounge access for travel outside of North America); DL mid-tier elites (Gold Medallion) don't.
Old Feb 11, 03, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

By the club I did mean Admiral's club.

BTW, what is the fee for EPs to join? I assume their food has to be better than Delta's dismal snacks and drinks.

marc
Old Feb 11, 03, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
HRGM and I did a BOS-SEA RT on AA as a quick test of their service (coach product, check-in, etc). I haven't really "written it up" yet, but if there's interest....
Old Feb 11, 03, 2:47 pm

By the club I did mean Admiral's club.

BTW, what is the fee for EPs to join?
</font>
US$300

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> I assume their food has to be better than Delta's dismal snacks and drinks.
</font>
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! That was a good laugh! I needed it.

In the morning, I've seen mini-muffins (mediocre) and whole fruit.

In the afternoons, I've seen snack mix and peanuts.

The other oneworld lounges like BA @ LHR and CX @ HKG are another story. I've had excellent light meals there.

Search this Thread