90 second check-in in Delta's plans

Old Feb 5, 03, 9:39 am
Original Poster

90 second check-in in Delta's plans

I'm rather new here, so this may have been posted already, but I thought I'd throw it up here just in case.

Delta Air Lines says it hopes to virtually eliminate ticket counter lines at 81 airports by year's end. The nation's No. 3 carrier is mounting "industry-leading attack" on one of travelers' biggest frustrations, reports USA TODAY. Delta will attempt to transform check-in into a 90-second process for most passengers by adding twice as many self-service check-in machines and moving hundreds of customer-service agents from behind ticket counters into lobbies to help travelers as they walk in. Customers needing to make time-consuming itinerary changes will be directed to a special bank of phones, where they will be helped by agents at Delta's call centers. The phones will be able to print new tickets. "We've been working real hard to take a fresh look at airports through our customers' eyes," says Rich Cordell, a Delta senior vice president.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/bus.../05retool.html
Old Feb 5, 03, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by coopercinci:
Delta Air Lines says it hopes to virtually eliminate ticket counter lines at 81 airports by year's end. </font>
They already did it with the new Skymiles rules.

Old Feb 5, 03, 12:20 pm

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Customers needing to make time-consuming itinerary changes will be directed to a special bank of phones, where they will be helped by agents at Delta's call centers. The phones will be able to print new tickets.</font>
Whatever happened to face-to-face communication?

------------------
Leadership is not about personal privilege or power.
The duty of the leader is to serve the needs of those
who are led.
-Jan Erteszek
Old Feb 5, 03, 12:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by coopercinci:
The phones will be able to print new tickets.</font>
Any chance of me getting one of those phones in my apartment?
Old Feb 5, 03, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm rather new here, so this may have been posted already, but I thought I'd throw it up here just in case.

Delta Air Lines says it hopes to virtually eliminate ticket counter lines at 81 airports by year's end. The nation's No. 3 carrier is mounting "industry-leading attack" on one of travelers' biggest frustrations, reports USA TODAY. Delta will attempt to transform check-in into a 90-second process for most passengers by adding twice as many self-service check-in machines and moving hundreds of customer-service agents from behind ticket counters into lobbies to help travelers as they walk in. Customers needing to make time-consuming itinerary changes will be directed to a special bank of phones, where they will be helped by agents at Delta's call centers. The phones will be able to print new tickets. "We've been working real hard to take a fresh look at airports through our customers' eyes," says Rich Cordell, a Delta senior vice president.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/bus.../05retool.html
</font>
Did I not mention this about 8 months ago, wit a few naysayers? Someone bought my business model... now if only AA will bite too finally.
Old Feb 5, 03, 2:36 pm

Customers needing to make time-consuming itinerary changes will be directed to a special bank of phones, where they will be helped by agents at Delta's call centers. </font>
Gross. About the last thing I'd EVER want to do in an airport is use a nasty, germy phone that someone's been coughing into. Hopefully we'll be able to access this same "enahnced" service on our cell phones???
Old Feb 5, 03, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ezra:
Gross. About the last thing I'd EVER want to do in an airport is use a nasty, germy phone that someone's been coughing into. Hopefully we'll be able to access this same "enahnced" service on our cell phones???</font>
How is your cell phone going to print out new tickets/boarding passes, etc? Come to think of it, how will this be any different than calling the regular reservations line and making changes there? Hasn't Delta recently closed several call centers? Are all these airport phones dialing into the same call centers, clogging the lines for people not at the airport? Hopefully I won't find out...
Old Feb 5, 03, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
How is this 90 second checkin supposed to happen now that DL plans to weigh checked luggage and charge for anything in excess of 50#, up to 70# for medallions? I think the need to weigh luggage will really slow down the works. I'm not sure DL even has scales at most domestic locations.
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:23 pm

I'm as ****ed as everybody else about the SM changes but I think this has the potential to be good. Kiosks do cut wait times down and what's wrong with that?

As for the bat-phones to deal with muck-ups, I share the concerns, but quite often I've ended up dealing with gate agents who aren't any better.

-cwk.
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sansbury:
As for the bat-phones to deal with muck-ups, I share the concerns, but quite often I've ended up dealing with gate agents who aren't any better.</font>
Generally, whenever I've had problems, I've found that the phone agents (of any airline) are usually better than the gate/ticketing agents. Maybe its because they don't have to deal with people face-to-face, or maybe they actually have better training on how to access information in the CRS, but I find that generally I can get better solutions to my problems faster via the phone.

Actually, there have been several times I used my mobile phone to contact reservations while waiting in line, and have a reasonable solution to whatever problem I had by the time I get up to the ticketing counters. I find this usually puts the ticket agents in a better mood as well since you're no longer a problem customer to them.

As long as these changes improve customer service, I would be OK with it--the danger is when you actually need one of the few remaining persons left at the counter to help you out because of something that really got screwed up, they'll suddenly no longer be qualified/trained/or even just willing to help you out anymore. And I could definitely see this happening...
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hal, can you hear me?
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByeByeDelta:
How is your cell phone going to print out new tickets/boarding passes, etc? Come to think of it, how will this be any different than calling the regular reservations line and making changes there? Hasn't Delta recently closed several call centers? Are all these airport phones dialing into the same call centers, clogging the lines for people not at the airport? Hopefully I won't find out...</font>
CVG will call center will handle "Song" calls.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/02...z_delta04.html

Old Feb 5, 03, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta's CEO has been among the insistent whiners about the "hassle factor" from increased security costing the airlines revenue. Heck, with one exception in the last year, I haven't spent more than five minutes in a security line. Check-in lines, however, have consistently gotten longer as more people need to check bags (carry on restrictions) and airlines have cut counter staffing. Fly through DTW and admire the presence of one NWA agent and 17 open positions - serving the WP Elite line.

This may be one area where Delta "gets it."
Old Feb 5, 03, 7:07 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I could never oppose a change that speeds our check-in but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that what's really driving this is reduction of DL's expenses by replacing c/i agents with machines and phone banks. The promotion being used for this, that it'll speed you through in under 90 seconds, is a lot like what we all hear from the spinmeisters, "because our best customers asked for it."
Old Feb 5, 03, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 3Cforme:
Delta's CEO has been among the insistent whiners about the "hassle factor" from increased security costing the airlines revenue. Heck, with one exception in the last year, I haven't spent more than five minutes in a security line.</font>
Join me in Philadelphia sometime

Search this Thread