FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   PM Upgrades at the end of 2003 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/57317-pm-upgrades-end-2003-a.html)

tph Feb 6, 03 4:28 pm

PM Upgrades at the end of 2003

Can someone explain what the deal is with how many upgrades points I will have at the end of 2003. Delta has given my several different answers.

As a PM, I am not earning 800/500 mile upgrade points this year I assume since I have unlimited upgrades. Fine. What about at the end of the year if I don't requalify for PM? I currently have 40+ upgrades that expire at the end of 2003. (Which I understand will be converted to 500 mile segments May 1.) These will be worthless at the end of the year since they expire. I read somewhere that Platinums will start out with 20 500 mile segments at the beginging of 2004. Is the for 2003 PM or 2004 PM? If I don't requalify for PM, then I will have 0. The kicker is, that if I was Gold this year, wouldn't I have been earning segments all year and start with possible more than 20 segments at the begining of 2004? (Considering I might fly 75000 base +)?
It doesn't make any sense to me.

A delta customer service agent told me on the phone that everyone starts over a 0 segments Jan1, 2004? Is that correct?

I hope this all makes sense.
-Tim

vasantn Feb 6, 03 5:00 pm

If you are a PM in 2003, I believe you will start with 20 MSUs in 2004, whether or not you requalify.

Welcome to FT!

------------------
Vasant

[Edited to add welcome]

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited 02-06-2003).]

tph Feb 6, 03 5:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So wouldn't I have more upgrades at the beginning of 2004 if I was a gold earning upgrades this year? Or maybe, I wouldn't have the opportunity to gain as many this year if I was gold. I haven't done the math.

-Tim

vasantn Feb 6, 03 8:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tph:
So wouldn't I have more upgrades at the beginning of 2004 if I was a gold earning upgrades this year?</font>
Quite possibly. But you'd be burning some of them for upgrades too.

------------------
Vasant

lavasushi Feb 6, 03 9:14 pm

[This message has been edited by lavasushi (edited 02-06-2003).]

LAOCA Feb 6, 03 9:18 pm

Let me tell you Platinums that mainly fly domestic: 20 500 milers will go by so fast you won't believe it. Better get used to a whole new way of upgrading.

They're $50.00 a piece on UA when you buy them. That's $500.00 per transcon round trip.

vasantn Feb 6, 03 9:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lavasushi:
I'm pretty sure that even as a Platinum you can still earn four 500 MSUs for every 10,000 miles you fly in addition to the one-time credit of twenty that all PMs will get on Jan. 1, 2004. </font>
Yes, of course. I think the OP was referring to not earning any in 2003.

------------------
Vasant

FL-Delta-Platinum Feb 6, 03 9:37 pm

I've calculated that I'll be out of "banked" and earned upgrades by 01/31/04

Thanks Delta

EyeFlyDoc Feb 6, 03 10:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAOCA:
They're $50.00 a piece on UA when you buy them. That's $500.00 per transcon round trip.

</font>
Yet one more explanation for UA's current state.