Search

BCN->JFK->YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K
BCN->JFK->YYZ

In March I'm flying to Barcelona on DL.

On the way back, I know I will have to clear US Immigration/Customs, but I'm wondering if I have to pick up my bags and recheck them. I know I would if I was transfering to another domestic US flight, but since I'm going onward to Canada, do my bags have to clear US customs?
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
yes, you will. the DL international arrivals gate(s) at JFK are for all passengers, not just those staying in the US. rechecking your bag will be as easy as just placing it back on the belt once you've cleared border control.

Also, keep in mind that Canada likely has different passport rules for US citizens than Spaniards.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K
Interesting.

That works differently than how international connecting flights work though Canada on AC.

I know that if you were to fly say LGA->YYZ->FRA on AC, your bags would be checked all the way through, and you would not have to pick them while going though Canadian Customs. (However, if your final distination was within Canada, say LGA->YYZ->YOW, you would have to claim your bags at the Customs Hall and then put them back on the belt once you've past customs).

Perhaps DL doesn't have enough Europe->USA->Canada traffic to bother segregating the bags.

Sowalsky, I'm not sure how your last comment was relevant to my question (but since I'm a Canadian citizen I'm not too concerned!)

[This message has been edited by Toronto1970 (edited 02-05-2003).]
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:06 am

It is a US Customs regulation, ostensibly for "security" reasons.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:12 pm

Yep, it's a USA thing, not a DL thing. Delta could re-brand itself as "the Europe->USA->Canada airline" and it wouldn't change things one bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.