Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Possible fix in the works for "married" segment upgrade "bug"

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite

While going through the "divorce" process today on an upcoming flight in order for the upgrade to clear I asked the CSR when was this waste of time going to stop? She told me she had just read an update that said the fix should be be ready to apply in a few days (we shall see). I also asked why it happened to begin with and she said "it was orginally designed as part of Journey Control to open up more upgrade seats to hub flyers but it had not worked out very well and was generally not making anyone happy", not the least of which were these CSR's that had to fix the problems. Anyway good news if true!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:25 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
"it was orginally designed as part of Journey Control to open up more upgrade seats to hub flyers but it had not worked out very well and was generally not making anyone happy"
Call me greedy, but I like that idea..
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I cant say I am surprised by their reasoning (my sense at the velvet rope was that DL was putting a lot of effort into catering to hub flyers and forgetting that they have a lot of loyal customers elsewhere - particularly those in ATL). Kind of bothers me as I think about it, them monkeying with who gets the upgrades that way, where you live is not part of the hierarchy and shouldnt be. They brought the problem on themselves they are trying to solve, as was said that night, the problem is when people dont clear at their window and have to play gate lottery. Those of us connecting in from other airports check in earlier for our connection and get put back on the list and was dropping hub flyers low on the list (within their elite level). If they would get the upgrade list fixed so you don't have to get back on the list (as they are supposedly working on) this would become a non-issue.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Cofused

I am not sure who are hub flyers; those making a connection at a hub, or those orginating their flights at a hub?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:17 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lehava
I cant say I am surprised by their reasoning (my sense at the velvet rope was that DL was putting a lot of effort into catering to hub flyers and forgetting that they have a lot of loyal customers elsewhere - particularly those in ATL). Kind of bothers me as I think about it, them monkeying with who gets the upgrades that way, where you live is not part of the hierarchy and shouldnt be. They brought the problem on themselves they are trying to solve, as was said that night, the problem is when people dont clear at their window and have to play gate lottery. Those of us connecting in from other airports check in earlier for our connection and get put back on the list and was dropping hub flyers low on the list (within their elite level). If they would get the upgrade list fixed so you don't have to get back on the list (as they are supposedly working on) this would become a non-issue.
Check-in time plays no role in list priority unless you change flights.. It takes the timestamp from when you requested the automatic upgrade.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jzumrick
I am not sure who are hub flyers; those making a connection at a hub, or those orginating their flights at a hub?
A hub flyer is one that originates in a hub city, in DL case it would be those in ATL, CVG or SLC for example.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Lehava
I cant say I am surprised by their reasoning (my sense at the velvet rope was that DL was putting a lot of effort into catering to hub flyers and forgetting that they have a lot of loyal customers elsewhere - particularly those in ATL).

The parenthetical part of this statement doesn't make any sense.

"elsewhere" in the context of this statement would be those "loyal customers" NOT in ATL, as those in ATL are the penultimate Delta "hub flyers."
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:50 pm

Has Delta Fixed The Married Segment Upgrade Bug?

Has Delta fixed the married segment upgrade bug? I did not upgrade on a segment where the cabin was totally open and it looks like silvers were upgraded. So I was wondering whether the problem still exists.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:52 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by BF263533
Has Delta fixed the married segment upgrade bug? I did not upgrade on a segment where the cabin was totally open and it looks like silvers were upgraded. So I was wondering whether the problem still exists.
What is a married segment?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by c_d
Two (or more) segments (which are connected) on the same itinerary.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by c_d
A pain in the rear for every Res agent and every psgr! :-))
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:32 pm
c_d

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy
A pain in the rear for every Res agent and every psgr! :-))
Give me details
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:21 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by c_d
Give me details
Example - you check flights from Miami to Anchorage, with a connection in Minneapolis. No availability for a certain fare class or perhaps for award tickets. But there is availability in that class MIA-MSP and MSP-ANC. It is just that the airline does not want to sell that fare class between the MIA-ANC market.

I have found more often, at least with international itineraries, that the airline will open up more availability the longer you travel, i.e. more availability when you make connections vs. point to point. But it really varies widely. I was shut out of a convenient award ticket to Alaska this summer because MSP-FAI was available, and central MN to MSP was available, but not central MN to MSP to FAI.

John
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:22 am
c_d

Originally Posted by fti
Example - you check flights from Miami to Anchorage, with a connection in Minneapolis. No availability for a certain fare class or perhaps for award tickets. But there is availability in that class MIA-MSP and MSP-ANC. It is just that the airline does not want to sell that fare class between the MIA-ANC market.

I have found more often, at least with international itineraries, that the airline will open up more availability the longer you travel, i.e. more availability when you make connections vs. point to point. But it really varies widely. I was shut out of a convenient award ticket to Alaska this summer because MSP-FAI was available, and central MN to MSP was available, but not central MN to MSP to FAI.

John
John you explanation is much appreciated!!! Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:49 pm

Its really about squeezing maximum revenue from each flt segment....If, say you live in Tokyo, you might be willing to pay more for a business class (J) tkt than someone who originates in BKK...So it makes sense to release less seats from the BKK mkt...We want to sell those seats from the NRT mkt at a higher fare....
Its complicated, but thats the basic theory behind it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.