Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a backdoor route for getting Medallion status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a backdoor route for getting Medallion status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:39 pm

francophile

Did you use the fax number andymo99 supplied in his post above? When I originally contacted Delta about this they were reluctant to give me the fax number for the Medallion desk (reasoning that I was not a Medallion member myself) If you faxed it to the regular number ( I'm sorry, I forgot what that number is) it could be languishing on a desk somewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:42 pm

Faxed my AA platinum card to the number listed above late y-day afternoon, and was Gold Medallion when I got to work this morning! Thanks again!!!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Biblioman:
francophile

Did you use the fax number andymo99 supplied in his post above? When I originally contacted Delta about this they were reluctant to give me the fax number for the Medallion desk (reasoning that I was not a Medallion member myself) If you faxed it to the regular number ( I'm sorry, I forgot what that number is) it could be languishing on a desk somewhere.
</font>
Thanks, Biblioman. I'm sure I just faxed it to the regular SkyMiles desk. I'll do as you suggested. Thanks again.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:53 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
Andymo, YOU FRIGGIN ROCK!</font>
Gee, thanks.

Of course, it's just a matter of time before the pre-existing "I earned mine the hard way" medallions start flagellating me for single-handedly diluting the ranks of Medallionship.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ok, everyone is saying thanks. Could someone tell me what the big deal is if DL matches my AA Platinum status?

Essentially, what I am asking is what do we get if we only end up flying DL a couple times in the next year (by accident).
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home=ATL; AAdvantage Platinum & 1MM; SkyMiles Gold Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
Ok, everyone is saying thanks. Could someone tell me what the big deal is if DL matches my AA Platinum status?

Essentially, what I am asking is what do we get if we only end up flying DL a couple times in the next year (by accident).
</font>

For someone like me who flies many AA destinations, but who lives in Atlanta, having elite status on both airlines works out very nicely. Maybe it doesn't make sense for other scenarios. Hey, sorry for making your life miserable!
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:

</font>
At a minimum, you will get the 100% mileage bonus for those couple of times you fly DL next year (by accident). You can also avail yourself of the segment upgrade program by purchasing some MSUs and trying your luck with the 72-hour window. Finally, your status may also help you in situations where things do not go as planned (cancellations, delays, etc).

You may also find (as I did when comped to AA PLT) that you like the other carrier better and start flying them more. Having comped status gives you a pain-free way to try the alternative. In my case, I have flown over 100,000 miles on AA since and am not looking back.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:09 pm

Based here in CLE, I am in the process of switching my loyalty away from the dastardly likes of CO and our wonderful RJ hub. Check out the CO board here on FT and you'll see what I mean. Used a Plat Challenge to raise my status on what had been my second carrier AA (now primary) to a higher level and wanted to have backup status on a different carrier next year in order to avoid CO completely. Hence, DL. Not a big deal for sure, but still worth doing.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Hey chix, it doesn't cost you anything. It'll take you 5 minutes of your time. You have nothing to lose and much to gain. Why not do it???
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:27 pm

Ahh...but you do have something to lose...I'm quite sure that this is a one-time comp....so do you really want to use it now? Why not save it in case you re-locate etc...where you might really need it?
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:58 pm

The recent posts echo a question I have. I'm currently PM but will only make SM next year. I don't expect to fly much next year, I typically average about 1 non-DL flight a year. It's possible I might start to redeem some FF miles on other airlines though. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get comp'ed by other airlines.

The obvious advantage is that I think as PM I'd get comp'd to their 2nd tier (GM equivelent), and I'm not sure I see myself getting to GM anytime soon. I assume if I waited until next year when I am SM any comp wouldn't be as high.

The disadvantage is that "one-time comp" that is often mentioned. I'd hate to waste potentiall the only comp they might give me if usage of it (flights on their airline) might be minimal.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff
Old Oct 29, 2002, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Hey, I just got my Gold Medallion card... Cool! Hmmm, it says good through 2/03. I thought I was going to get status until 2/04. Should I have waited until January to ask for comp status? What I have done???
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:00 am

You should receive new card good through 2/2004 in March.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:41 pm

So much for "automatic, no questions asked" status matching.

"Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning our SkyMiles Medallion program.

After careful review of your request and research of your past and current travel history, we must regretfully decline your request to become a Silver Medalion member."

I sent in a copy of my NWA Platinum card several weeks ago when everyone else was doing it. I am sure this denial is because I did a Delta match once before, and haven't flown them much recently. But as far as "automatic" this time around, it obviously wasn't so.

That's okay though, because if they had only given me silver, I would have thrown it out anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Frank - how much time elapsed between your request and the denial ? Seems like the "research" doesn't take that long !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.