Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta, vinum and wine : A problem ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
Delta, vinum and wine : A problem ?

I just used the BE service between Pqris CDg and JFK today, and discovered that the previous VINUM booklet that Delta gives to the biz pax to make their choice of wine is integrated now to the menu.

Anywhay there is no big deal, as the majority of the wines presented in VINUM were not available (sorry we don't have this one...).

I thought that the new presentation would come with a more restricted choice, but eith all bottles available.

That is not the case.
Onboar, there were 2 whites available (an australian chardonnay and a south-african one) and 2 reds, one Bordeaux and one autralian blend (merlot-cabernet sauvignon),
...which by the way is enough.

Why not to restrict the choice to the ones that are on board, suppress sme of the pages of VINUM and have ...the service consistent with the presentation of the menu ?

Not a big deal, but, you know, when we speak about wine, that is a dangerous matter ....

Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:31 pm
In Memoriam

Felis:

That is why we say, Buisiness Delete

The original Program, had a seperate destination guide which was quickly scuttled.

Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:36 pm

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
I have found that the Vinum program of DL has been a rollercoaster. One flight can have exellent wines, and the next flight has some terribly wines.
Often there are no relationship between the wines presented in the brochure and the wines offered during the flight.

I find that domestic BE has a much poorer collection of wine compared to the international BE. This is interesting since these flights are between JFK and SFO/LAX, which are the major wine consuming areas of the country.
I don't believe there is a Vinum program for US BE.

In comparison I find that SkyTeam partner AF has a much consistent program. It could be more exciting, but it is not bad.

I know that there are people that prefer to drink milk with their meal, but I WANT my wine
Old Oct 24, 2002, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I've always found my wine in the VINUM or the menu booklet... and for quite some time, the selection has always been 2 whites, 2 reds... no complaining here...
Old Oct 24, 2002, 3:46 pm

1. The Vinum wine menu has always explained that the brochure features all BusinessElite wines, while only two of each type would be offered onboard each specific flight.

2. I really liked the concept of the Destination Guide inside the menu (both the BusinessElite menu and the main cabin menu were the same magazine-sized booklet featuring a menu on the first few pages and destination information on the rest). While it was more expensive to produce, it was heavily subsidized by advertising (I believe AT&T and American Express).

I understand that they dumped the destination guide because it became too difficult to make sure the right ones were loaded on the right flight. For example, one menu would be produced for ATL/JFK-BRU, another for ATL/JFK-AMS, another for AMS/BRU-ATL, another for AMS/BRU-JFK to make sure that the destination was always correct. Now one menu can serve all US gateways to LGW, MAN, DUB, SNN, AMS, and BRU, etc and only one other would be needed for the westbound return.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by felis:
Onboar, there were 2 whites available (an australian chardonnay and a south-african one) and 2 reds, one Bordeaux and one autralian blend (merlot-cabernet sauvignon),
...which by the way is enough.
</font>
It would be enough if any of the choices were drinkable. They have 4 bad wines, and no good one. Ironically there are other Australian and South African wines made for similar price that are considerably better, so they cut the wine budget and went with a poor choice (maybe these wines were especially cheap?). They should carry a Brancott Chardonnay or Sauvignon (NZ) which can stand up to the harsh environment. The current choices are almost as bad as the DL domestic selections. A real shame that DL has given up on its vinum program; at least I don't feel bad when I fly BA instead and enjoy the amenities.

Old Oct 26, 2002, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
1. The Vinum wine menu has always explained that the brochure features all BusinessElite wines, while only two of each type would be offered onboard each specific flight.
</font>
I never read that on the booklet, although I understand it.

I like the booklets, and I often take them away.

I often find the one of the wine on the booklet onboardm, but I have to request it, and it seems every time that I am alone to do so.

I do not understand the reason why they present so many wines if they really have 4 or 5 of them (which, again, is totaly sufficient).

On national BE, there is no ore VINUM booklet nor mention to this program, which is rather surprising.

I got a red wine that was acceptable (but nothing more) and a white one that was horrible.

True that AF is more consistent on thios point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.