Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Deliberately connecting through BE served cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2002, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum

I don't really care for DL's domestic F seating, so when there is flexibility in my travel schedule, I deliberately connect through BE served cities.

Example, going from SFO - MCO for a conference, instead of the listed connection on Delta.com, I booked two tickets SFO <-> JFK, then JFK <-> MCO. The difference is about $80 ($590 vs $510) on 800 miles SMU fares.

Is this something you would consider doing?

[This message has been edited by Jet2K (edited 10-07-2002).]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
If I'm correct, Delta lists this product as C-class, correct? You only get half the mileage bonus as first, right? But, you're right. DL's domestic FC product is rather lousy. Those leatherette seat seams pinch nerves in my left thigh EVERY time.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:48 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I've tried to plan around BE flights.

sowalsky, you don't get a class of service bonus on upgrades.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
If I'm correct, Delta lists this product as C-class, correct? You only get half the mileage bonus as first, right? ...</font>
I am not aware of a C class on Delta, I usually book on K or Q, and upgrade using the 800 miles segment upgrade. Just the normal GM 100% bonus, no additional class of service bonus for booking in K or Q.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 5:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
I have also considered this, but can't devise even a semi-convenient itin to amke use to the BE equip. If I flew through JFK - or could get there reasonably - then it might make sense.

Actually my high hopes are the DL will put a BE equipped craft on the LAX-ATL fri night redeye.

GMF
Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You have to connect someplace don't you? So why not? Of course the trade off will be the DLX flight to/from MCO. This is not much of an option for me (and I expect most of us) because the B/E equipped flights are fairly few and far between domestically. But, personally, if the flight times were good, I would take that route through JFK.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 9:23 am

Location: TPA, DL PM, UA Premier Exec, Hilton & Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz FS, Avis PS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
Actually my high hopes are the DL will put a BE equipped craft on the LAX-ATL fri night redeye.

GMF
</font>
Took that flight over the weekend. 767-400 redeye is brutal on F. Y would probably be a better option if there were seats available to lie down.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I have to go to JFK-LAS, I always go via LAX to get the BizElite equipment most of the way.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
As I have been flying this route quite a bit lately (and sadly, this has replaced my regular visits to sunny Paris for the remainder of the year ), I have numerous times considered sneaking to the back and looking for a set of open middle seats. I wonder what would be said, eh?

GMF
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
However, keep in mind that if you book two separate tickets, then the contract of carriage has a gap at your stopover in New York. For example, if your SFO-JFK flight is late, and you miss your connection, then DL has no obligation to get you from JFK-MCO. It is basically as if it were two separate flights. They got you to JFK and that is the end of ticket #1. Now ticket#2 has commenced and you've missed your flight.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

That's a good point TWAforever.

As a soon to be PM, I was thinking about using the airfone to call SMS in case of delays that cause me to miss the "connection". Do you think Delta will try to reaccomodate me? Or should I just try to put the two tickets on one itinerary (if it is even possible) to avoid this situation?
Old Oct 8, 2002, 5:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
A couple things... First, you can't put two segments to one destination in a PNR, as DL has agents that work a queue and you risk both or the wrong one being canceled.

Second, if you think you'll misconnect, calling SMS is a smart idea, but the odds are they'll know you'll misconnect before you to and will have already protected you.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 10-08-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.