Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crown Room Changes???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Crown Room Changes???

This topic seems simple at best! What changes would you like to see occure in the Crown Room and at what price????

I vote for:
1) A better selection of snacks / appies (free)
2) Boxed lunches (for sale, $7)
3) Locking space for luggage (rented lockers, $.50 - $1.00, short term only, no overnight)

Let's hear it!
Old Sep 18, 2002, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Sketchy -- I think that there are airport concession issues to consider, and that's why you don't see better snax or boxed lunches in the CRCs. I've been told more than once by CRC attendants that "the airport doesn't want us to" sell sandwiches, salads, etc.

But the pay-as-you-go lockers . . . I can totally get behind that. I'd have no problem paying for that service in a CRC.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
The Crown Rooms are more likely to go the way of the other carriers with less service in the future (like ending the free booze).

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 09-18-2002).]
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:44 am

My guess is that tightend security rules do not allow for locking storage containers. Also as far as food is concerned they do serve appetizers in the B/E lounge, so they should be allowed to serve food in the CR

------------------
Old Sep 18, 2002, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--early morning(prior to 8:00AM) --a muffin or danish, please--
Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
--early morning(prior to 8:00AM) --a muffin or danish, please--</font>
I've visited some lounges in the morning that have cereal and energy bars, but nothing too mouth-watering.

I understand the argument that "the airport doesn't want us to" sell food, but why can't I bring it into the lounge? They allow outside coffee, but I've had soft drinks, bottled water, and various food items from nearby eateries turned away at various times.

Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:42 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yashan:
I understand the argument that "the airport doesn't want us to" sell food, but why can't I bring it into the lounge?</font>

1) Because it smells.

2) Because you might soil the upholstery.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Your coffee does not smell as much as my fat Whopper from the Burger King next door combined with the smell of chicken wings and barbeque sauce.

Seriously, the CRC is supposed to offer some space to relax, some space to chat and some space to work. I do not see where outside food does fit in there, especially not in the smaller clubs. I truly appreciate DL's policy on that.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback!

If they do away with the booze then they better cut their prices in half, just to reflect the true price of the room...

I would like a simple danish myself in the AM...

I don't understand why the Airport would care less about selling food from the CR. Delta is already paying for the space! Also, Delta could possibly buy these boxed lunches from these local consessions. --Humm, let's possibly give the customer's what they want, and make a buck, what an idea ---

As for the lockers, I do not believe that there would be a security risk, as you have already passed all of the check points. This would mearly be a safe keep for your stuff so that you would not have to watch your stuff while getting a shoeshine, a drink at the bar, taking a phone call, or utializing the restrooms. The lockers would be cleaned out nightly with anything left turned over to airport lost and found.

Just some thoughts...
Old Sep 18, 2002, 3:55 pm

How about wireless internet access within the CRC? This would beat trying to dial up your local ISP or waiting for the computer to free up.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG G
FRESCA!

You have that Cincinnati cartoonist to thank for putting Engines Turn on a quest to have DL stock Fresca in the CRCs.

I would give up everything (booze, PCs, furniture, back rubs, etc.) for a small overheated closet with ice cold FRESCA...

Hey, I'm a PM now. Let me vent.

------------------
...or passengers swim.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
My main survey input was move the Crown Room in PHL inside of security. Without that, and with unpredictable security lines and wait times, that club is of minimal usefulness. US Air (dominant PHL carrier) does not suffer that problem!
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DLBIZTRAVELER:
My main survey input was move the Crown Room in PHL inside of security. Without that, and with unpredictable security lines and wait times, that club is of minimal usefulness. US Air (dominant PHL carrier) does not suffer that problem!</font>
If the DL-CO-NW alliance is approved (not offering odds on this!), then CRC members should have access to the Northwest lounge that IS inside security. I live in Phila, so I use the lounge either before I get on my flight (go thru security), or to freshen up after I arrive. I don't think there's much connecting traffic thru PHL, so I wouldn't think you'd have the problem of landing, wanting to go to the CRC, then having to reclear security to get your next flight.

The view from the CRC is certainly great, as you can see all 4-5 terminals that Delta uses. Easy to see if you plane is at the gate or not.

Jeff
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am really curious....Which airline lounge is nicer in everyone's opinion? Delta's or Continental's? I've never been to a Crown lounge, only the President's club so I'm just curious as to how they compare!
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by orix:
How about wireless internet access within the CRC? This would beat trying to dial up your local ISP or waiting for the computer to free up.</font>
I'm picturing business travellers leaning against the outside walls of CRC clubs with their laptops open. I don't think it would be that easy to restrict wireless access to just inside the room (assuming the natural construction wasn't self-shielding). The bandwidth inside the CRC is bad enough without worrying that outsides are using it.

If they can somehow overcome this it would be a nice new feature.

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.