Crown Room Changes???

Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
I'm picturing business travellers leaning against the outside walls of CRC clubs with their laptops open. I don't think it would be that easy to restrict wireless access to just inside the room (assuming the natural construction wasn't self-shielding). The bandwidth inside the CRC is bad enough without worrying that outsides are using it.

If they can somehow overcome this it would be a nice new feature.

Jeff
</font>
Maybe a login, such as our CRC # or SkyMiles #, the login would recognize the registered CRC members # and allow access. Don't know how they would handle RCC members, except to give a temporary # when checking in at the counter.

Seeing a bunch of people crowded against the wall would be an interesting sight
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:28 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by traveler4ever:
I am really curious....Which airline lounge is nicer in everyone's opinion? Delta's or Continental's? I've never been to a Crown lounge, only the President's club so I'm just curious as to how they compare!</font>
The President's Club at IAH rocks. A buffet of cheese, fresh fruit, juices and assorted cake snacks. Good free bar and spacious meeting areas. The work stations are good.

Crown Rooms have decor, terrific staff and a couple of internet stations if your laptop is down. I've found only two CRC's lacking the standards of others out of the dozens I visit a year, which is an impressive average. Some are quite crowded.

Old Sep 18, 2002, 7:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ds4217:
My guess is that tightend security rules do not allow for locking storage containers. </font>
Continental President's Club at Houston offers these.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 8:09 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
I'm picturing business travellers leaning against the outside walls of CRC clubs with their laptops open. I don't think it would be that easy to restrict wireless access to just inside the room (assuming the natural construction wasn't self-shielding). The bandwidth inside the CRC is bad enough without worrying that outsides are using it.

If they can somehow overcome this it would be a nice new feature.

Jeff
</font>
I can do it easily and cheaply. Heck, I'll do it for free ... OK not free, but for a perk or two, like free use for me and say free CRC for life or a couple free B/E tickets.

Now as for bandwidth for the users inside, DL would need to by it. But I bet users would pay a reasonable access fee. $9.95 gets you 24 hours in a Hilton. How about $1.95 for 3 hours in a CRC ... or $9.95 for all CRC's nationwide for the day. Just enter your cc number on the login screen.

That would be easy to set up, easy to run and the $$ would roll in. Hardest part would be getting the connection run to the CRC itself. Airports love to charge the big bucks for that kind of stuff.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Great Idea, I would love to put Laptop Lane out of business... What a rip off!
Old Sep 19, 2002, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sketchy:
Great Idea, I would love to put Laptop Lane out of business... What a rip off!</font>
I am a PC/Internet/Email junkie, but I have never been able to bring myself to use Laptop Lane due to prices. I am afraid they will go the way of the AIRPHONES... so expensive they shut down.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 6:27 am

Bandwidth is (or should be) relatively cheap, along with network handware (a router+hub so that multiple computers can share one connection, plus wireless connectivity), that I would think I'd hope computer access would remain free.

Jeff
Old Sep 19, 2002, 8:14 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by traveler4ever:
I am really curious....Which airline lounge is nicer in everyone's opinion? Delta's or Continental's? I've never been to a Crown lounge, only the President's club so I'm just curious as to how they compare!</font>
As a former member Crown Room member, I think CO's are slightly nicer. In addition, CO's access to NW's WorldClubs is a huge plus.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
I'm picturing business travellers leaning against the outside walls of CRC clubs with their laptops open. I don't think it would be that easy to restrict wireless access to just inside the room (assuming the natural construction wasn't self-shielding).</font>
I have the opposite problem in SEA: the Boingo wireless service available in the gate area peters out literally at the CRC doorway. Even if I huddle against the CRC wall nearest the gate area, I can't ever get a decent signal.

In other news, Maria at the SEA CRC tells me that the CRC's moving to the new terminal, and that the CRC staff is worried that the new room will lose the warmth and character of the existing one. I sure hope not; the SEA room is one of my favorites.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 2:56 pm

Is there a limit on the number of CRC members in the entire Delta system? I've been thinking about the number of times that the entire room is jammed to overflowing. If there are this many members and more are joining everyday (thanks, in no small part to those referral bonuses ) it makes me wonder what the 'limit' of the system is. Or, is overcrowding the (additional) price some of us pay to have free booze and lame PCs?

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 3:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
Your coffee does not smell as much as my fat Whopper from the Burger King next door combined with the smell of chicken wings and barbeque sauce.
</font>

Point taken. But what about when my food doesn't smell. I don't always eat a fat Whopper from Burger King with chicken wings and bbq sauce. Sometimes I enjoy a nice non-smelling salad. I think when they check my ID, they should employ some sort of "smell test." If my food is deemed offensive, I will gladly eat it outside. If not, let me enjoy it inside. I will promise to take extra care to avoid soiling the upholstery.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL_flyer:

...it makes me wonder what the 'limit' of the system is.
</font>
I was bored and went through the CRC corp. intranet site and added up all the "seating capacities" for all the clubs: 4,752. The room capacity for all the clubs is approx.: 6,177.

As far as the # of CRC members.... that's not a published.

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:

As far as the # of CRC members.... that's not a published.

</font>
Would you be able to find out (but of course not disclose to FT) the number of PMs? That would be a start...
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:54 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
Sketchy -- I think that there are airport concession issues to consider, and that's why you don't see better snax or boxed lunches in the CRCs. I've been told more than once by CRC attendants that "the airport doesn't want us to" sell sandwiches, salads, etc.</font>
I think that in most, if not all, airports the concession agreement with the general concession providers is what prohibits even bringing food into the CRC's. However, if DL put its mind to it, I'm sure it could work out an agreement where the concession providers provided the box lunches and such for sale ... I just don't see it as being all that feasible since the CRC doesn't handle $$$ transactions now, which means they'd have to start handling money just to do it (of course the other downside is that would be one less excuse to not charge for drinks ...).
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:16 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
For those based in Philadelphia, CRC folks there have told me that the airport is to begin construction of a "hammerhead" at the end of Concourse E early next year. a new, larger, modern CRC will be opened there late 2003 or early 2004. We'll finally be beyond security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.