Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the new standby fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 8:17 pm

RobertS975,
Flights at specific times carry a premium. If Delta were to offer LAX-SFO (yes, I know they no longer fly this route) flights every hour on the hour, flights at 8AM and 9AM would usually cost more than flights at 1PM and 2PM. Most frequent business travelers are smart enough to know they can book the 1PM or 2PM flights at a discount and then go standby for the 8AM or 9AM (especially if they’re elite and are put at the top of the standby list). By charging a $100 fee, DL will be forcing these travelers to purchase the more premium flights they desire. Even though I used LAX-SFO, this is actually pretty common. While I agree $100 is a bit excessive, I don’t oppose a standby fee. Remember: WN prohibits standby on virtually all discounted fares.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
So, FastFlyer, DL wins by letting the seat go out empty, by your logic? If so, then that is the ultimate example of cutting off your nose to spite your face! That later flight might be cancelled, delayed etc, making more problems for DL, when they could have put me in an otherwise empty seat, and I'd have been out of their hair! Your yield management argument is flawed... most of the time, the fare class would have been available, ot there wouldn't BE EMPTY SEATS!

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.