Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions Re New Standby Policies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The rules have not changed with regard to making ** confirmed ** changes on the return portion of a non-refundable ticket. You can make such changes at any time, prior to the departure of your scheduled flight, for $100, as long as there is space available in the class of service in which your original ticket was booked.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Rssrsvp,

Your restaurant analogy is perfect! The fact that nobody is using the table at 7 p.m. is not the responsibility of the person who reserved for 8 p.m. And if that person agrees to take the empty table at 7 p.m., the restaurant can't lose. The 8 p.m. revenue is shifted to 7 p.m. And the restuarant might be able to take an extra customer at 8 p.m., so they might actually come out ahead.

Delta's explanation that they lose money by letting customers fly standby early just doesn't hold up. How can this be true?

Bruce
</font>
It's not quite perfect because the restaurant could lose. Say a walk in comes in at 7. Because the person with the 8 o'clock reservation took the last table at 7 o'clock, the walk in goes elsewhere because he doesn't want to wait an hour. The now vacant 8 o'clock table goes unsold; the restaurant loses a customer.

Old Sep 15, 2002, 1:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by outtolunch:
It's not quite perfect because the restaurant could lose. Say a walk in comes in at 7. Because the person with the 8 o'clock reservation took the last table at 7 o'clock, the walk in goes elsewhere because he doesn't want to wait an hour. The now vacant 8 o'clock table goes unsold; the restaurant loses a customer.

</font>
Or, say someone else called for an 8:00 reservation and couldn't get it because the other people had taken it, so they call another resteraunt. They could have had that customer if the other people hadn't reserved that table they didn't use.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
lvs2fly,

My source at Delta executive offices checked it out pretty carefully for me. She says that the fee will definitely be refunded if you end up on your original flight. You aren't expected to pay for being put on the list if there's no payoff!

I suspect that all of these details haven't been released to the front-line folks yet. (And maybe this odious rule will be rescinded before it takes effect, in any case.)

Bruce
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Problem with the restaurant analogy is that you don't pay for your meal in advance.

If you have a flight reservation (but no plane ticket), you can change whatever you want with no penatly (though perhaps a change in fare).

I like the Dentist analogy.

I think the whole idea of $100 fee for stand by is idiotic.

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 09-15-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.