Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Aligns Ticket Policies to Fare Value; Makes Changes to Paper Ticket Policy Also

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Aligns Ticket Policies to Fare Value; Makes Changes to Paper Ticket Policy Also

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
I just spoke to an SMS agent, and she said that only full Y and full F are considered "refundable," so far as she knows. The agent I spoke to felt that the new fare rules on Delta.com hadn't yet been loaded.

I should add that she had only read what we have read; it doesn't appear that the line employees had any kind of heads-up on this.

[This message has been edited by Just Passing Thru (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:37 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote by Rssrsvp
Jet Blue JFK-LAX & Florida, here I come.

You'll be flying Jet Blue into Long Beach, which many pax consider much more user-friendly than LAX. These new policies are certainly going to enhance Southwest's bottom line.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:40 am
Suspended

Others said it better, but..

Losing the standby-for-earlier-flight privilege will likely force me to marginalize my Delta business. It's vital we keep the option. This rule change devalues Medallions so often stranded in concourses by circumstances not of their own making and often at the airline's making. It's unwise, untimely and from my personal perspective untenable.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:48 am

--perhaps, Unofficial Delta Helper can clarify a couple of things--some posters are suggesting that DL will impose these fees even if the flight changes are due to weather delays, mechanical, etc and we are then obliged to take a different flight due to our inability to make our connection. Hopefully, this is not the case. Would DL really penalize the pax under these circumstances?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:01 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
Obviously we need to check fare rules, but I've got a headscratcher here. I just plugged in an IAD-ATL-IAD r/t in November. ...

So what's the deal? Can one manage to get around the no same-day standby rule simply by purchasing a typical K+ fare? Can anyone expound on this?

I also see a T fare for the same date pair that appears to allow free same-day standby.

05545-TA7TN08 RESERVATIONS PAGE 12
01 RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS REQUIRED AT LEAST
02 7 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
03 .
04 OPEN RETURN NOT PERMITTED.
05 WAITLISTING NOT PERMITTED.
06 CHANGES - PERMITTED ..SEE PAGE 18-CHANGES/REFUNDS
07 .
08 STANDBY - PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS
09 AND TICKETS MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY
10 FLIGHTS BETWEEN SAME ORIGIN/DESTINATION/STOPOVER
11 POINTS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.
12 .

[This message has been edited by Just Passing Thru (edited 09-05-2002).]
</font>
I cut out a lot of this post. I think what you are missing, JPT, is that the standby rules are changed for flights after 1/1/03. Or perhaps I am misreading?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2 Million Miler, Marriott Platinum
Although I understand the need for Delta to make a profit and make business decisions, they are making a bad situation worse from my perspective. For many of the markets I fly in, $100 will buy me a non-advance ticket on Air-Tran which will give me a guaranteed seat. I know Delta won't be giving me $100 for to fly standby on a later flight when they cancel a flight. I am regretting more and more the massive government bailouts after 9/11 the airlines were given. I think the reward for bankruptcy for any carrier should be consilidaiton with the remaining carriers, with a few less airlines floundering, there is at least a chance we can return to a stable market where revenue opportunites such as this will not look as applealing to Delta and other carriers. With the raising of K fares in many markets, and now charging for standby, it makes it that much easier for me to choose another carrier.

Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
I cut out a lot of this post. I think what you are missing, JPT, is that the standby rules are changed for flights after 1/1/03. Or perhaps I am misreading?</font>
I believe you missed this:

Effective for tickets purchased on or after Sept. 5, 2002, for travel beginning Oct. 1, 2002, Delta's nonrefundable tickets must be used for the flights ticketed

What's this 01/01/03 business?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:24 am

If there are 10 seats available and 20 standbys, will Delta take the ones that will get them the extra $100 first?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
What's this 01/01/03 business?</font>
"For tickets purchased beginning Sept. 5, 2002, for travel beginning Jan. 1, 2003, Delta will allow customers traveling on most restricted fares to standby for a different flight on the same day of ticketed travel for a fee of $100, except Delta Express, which will charge a fee of $50."
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:27 am

Confessions of a Lurker:
Occasionally, I would take a look at UA
Occasionally, I would take a look at AA
Now, find myself paying LOTS of attention to JetBlue and Southwest. They seem to have a lot of very happy customers.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opus17:
Thinking back on my last 10 years of flying Delta, I don't think these policies would have affected me at all on any trip.</font>
I find it hard to believe that you never arrived at airport early and went standby on earlier flight same day.

Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
So
Remember, these are the gate agents who have so much work to do already. I can't imagine that they would be burdened with collecting this additional $100 for standby customers.

</font>
Up till the last month or so, I only paid 100.00 change fee for day earlier flights 1 out of 6-7 times. Last few monthd 100%. So the busy gate agents have been given their marching orders bu Uncle Leo

Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:32 am

I have to believe that the critical financial measure of "loads" will be adversely affected to the point that they would re-think this.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
I wonder how this will change/influence the market for travel insurance. Any thoughts? Maybe this will become a growing market to hedge against the types of problems that the airlines used to accomodate. I also wonder if travel insurance policies will begin to be more restrictive to align with airline policies?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LNusb:
I know Delta won't be giving me $100 for to fly standby on a later flight when they cancel a flight.

</font>
I still see a "class action suit" here somewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.