London and Airbus

Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:42 am
Original Poster

London and Airbus

Has anyone heard the latest info on Heathrow service for Delta? Also I was in Zurich last week and picked up a rumour regarding A-318's and possibile other Airbus aircraft evidently at very good lease rates.

Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:58 am

From what I have read, service to Heathrow on DL metal depends on the survival of AA. I read that if the file BR then soem of their frequencies to LHR will be up for grabs. Also, Delta will be code sharing with Virgin Atlantic in October.

I haven't heard anything about Delta and Airbus.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by diesel33:
Also, Delta will be code sharing with Virgin Atlantic in October.</font>
Code-sharing w/ VS? I thought it was just a SkyMiles marketing agreement at this point. If you have more insight to talks, please share.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by diesel33:
I haven't heard anything about Delta and Airbus.</font>
DL's long-term goal is to be an all Boeing fleet (B737, B757/767 and 777s). You won't see any Airbus anytime soon.

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:10 am

thanks UDL, it appears to be a SkyMile spartnership agreement according to G*9745.

I guess I need to be more careful with my choice of words. Sorry everyone!

[This message has been edited by diesel33 (edited 09-08-2002).]
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:18 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I think you mean UA, not AA, but if either was to sell their LHR authority it would be for all their flights. The current treaty only allows for two US carriers into LHR.

The individual slots, also very hard to come by are only available to carriers with authority to start with.

If Bermuda 2 gets modified to allow additional carriers, the slot issue will still be a probelem. Not even VS or BA are able to operate all the flights they want during the day.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAOCA:
I think you mean UA, not AA, but if either was to sell their LHR authority it would be for all their flights. </font>
Technically, the LHR rights are not transferable. We went through the entire charade over the meaning of "corporate successor" in the early 90s when AA/UA took over from TW/PA and the final ruling was that it did not apply to an asset sale, but would be permitted as a one-time exemption.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:38 am

I've never been to LHR or LGW, but is LHR really that much better than LGW?
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:42 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Closer in and with far more ongoing connections
Old Sep 8, 2002, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I've never been to LHR or LGW, but is LHR really that much better than LGW?</font>
LGW has a cool mall, I just don't know if it is in the terminal where DL is. I was flying BA when I was last there. However, does anyone know if DL has a BE Lounge at LGW??? If so, how is it???
Old Sep 8, 2002, 12:32 pm

LGW is usually fine for me, since I'm generally going just to London. The Gatwick Express makes the trip into the city easy, if a bit longer than from LHR.

Connections to the rest of Europe are generally through LHR, with a few out of City or Stanstead now, and I know the inter-airport transfers can be a pain.

My last time through LGW, Delta's BE lounge was actually part of the Le Meridien hotel, and very nice - great showers with real (US-level) water pressure. Don't know if that's changed in the last 12 months.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 12:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:
[B]
My last time through LGW, Delta's BE lounge was actually part of the Le Meridien hotel, and very nice - great showers with real (US-level) water pressure. B]</font>

I was in Scotland a few years back. the water pressure of there stinks!
Old Sep 8, 2002, 1:28 pm

I haven't a problem with Gatwick with one exception. If I'm flying to a city in Europe that requires a connection at a European hub, Heathrow is the place to fly to. Gatwick just doesn't have the same number of connections. So right now I can't fly DL (or CO, US, NW) to London and then switch to another airline for my connection,
Old Sep 8, 2002, 1:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
I haven't a problem with Gatwick with one exception. If I'm flying to a city in Europe that requires a connection at a European hub, Heathrow is the place to fly to. Gatwick just doesn't have the same number of connections. So right now I can't fly DL (or CO, US, NW) to London and then switch to another airline for my connection,</font>
I actually did the transfer earlier this year - flew into LGW on a Delta award ticket, the took the Airbus (?) to LHR for an Alitalia flight to Milan. Basically wasted a day, but all the tickets were free, and I got caught up on the time change. There were some flights from LGW to Milan, but they were two hops through Brussels, Paris, etc., that would have gotten me in even later.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 1:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:
I actually did the transfer earlier this year - flew into LGW on a Delta award ticket, the took the Airbus (?) to LHR for an Alitalia flight to Milan. Basically wasted a day, but all the tickets were free, and I got caught up on the time change. There were some flights from LGW to Milan, but they were two hops through Brussels, Paris, etc., that would have gotten me in even later.</font>
Why didn't you just fly nonstop Atlanta to Milan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.